Rangers sign DeAngelo - 1 year $925k
Fish
Posted 2019-09-13 11:01 AM (#727954)
Subject: Rangers sign DeAngelo - 1 year $925k

Publisher

Brooks tweeted earlier today that the difference between the Rangers and DeAngelo is significant, and that it doesn't look like the Rangers are going to move off the $925K number
Top of the page Bottom of the page
robstones
Posted 2019-09-13 12:15 PM (#727955 - in reply to #727954)
Subject: Re: Large gap with DeAngelo

Legend

Classic hold out. He'll get a deal done, and get the Stepan treatment for playing hardball....

Which is fine because our D cupboard is FULL
Fish
Posted 2019-09-13 1:52 PM (#727957 - in reply to #727954)

Publisher

You have to figure he looks at the right side of the Rangers and sees little depth, so perhaps thinks the Rangers are the ones who need him more than he needs the Rangers. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Rranger
Posted 2019-09-13 6:07 PM (#727961 - in reply to #727954)

MVP

If Fox stumbles they will be getting back to Tony real fast, if Fox is good Brisson might be listening a lot closer. Marner just signed for $10.9 for 6, every agent in hockey should send Kyle Dumbass some type of age appropriate gift for his ripping the lid off salary negotiations. The leafs are fuked going forward.

Edited by Rranger 2019-09-13 6:08 PM
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2019-09-14 3:42 AM (#727963 - in reply to #727954)

All-Star

For starters, there is no written rule that you have to have 3 righty d and 3 lefty d. That was something dumbass AV did. Second, I don't see little depth on the right side. You have Fox and Trouba. Then you have a first round pick in Lundkvist. Plus Keane who they seem to be very high on. There are only 3 spots. I see no point in having 6 righty defenseman that can step in the NHL when only 3 can play. It's pointless.
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2019-09-14 9:54 AM (#727964 - in reply to #727954)

All-Star

I've said for years now that this fan base because of moron AV is all caught up in having three righty and lefty d men. It's a non issue. I found multiple cup winners over the years that had less than three righty defenseman starting. If I can remember, I think one team had one righty and 5 lefties. The problem with this team isn't having 3 and 3 when it comes to righty and lefty defenseman. It's actually having 6 defenseman that can keep the puck out of our net. Having a real system that keeps the puck out of our net. Having a real coach that helps our defenseman keep the puck out of our net. Said for a long time that AV put no value into the stay at home, physical, crease clearing d-man. All he wanted was puck movers and slowly, it killed the defense of the team.

Blues defense was insane in the playoffs. Their top point guy on d had 41 points during the regular season. They basically had a bunch of 30 year old's on defense who understood how to keep the puck out of their net and give the forwards a chance to make a play or two in order to win close games.

Give me one or two d-men to run a good PP and the rest just keep the freakin puck out of the net. I don't give a crap if they are righty or lefty. How many times have we seen righty and lefty d-men on this team the past few years out there and they turn the puck over constantly and are never in the righty place on defense?

Edited by itsmcilrathtime 2019-09-14 10:01 AM
Rranger
Posted 2019-09-15 9:57 PM (#727973 - in reply to #727954)
Subject: RE: Large gap with DeAngelo

MVP

Fish - 2019-09-13 10:01 AM

Brooks tweeted earlier today that the difference between the Rangers and DeAngelo is significant, and that it doesn't look like the Rangers are going to move off the $925K number

Pionk a year older, less games in the league, outplayed by DeAngelo the last 1/2 of the season, gets $3,000,000 x 2 while DeAngelo allegedly being offered Lemieux money $925,000. NHL salary negotiations are all about comparables, there is one in Tony’s favour. This negotiation could go bad fast, unless Brisson adopts a take the Ranger’s offer this year, and assuming DeAngelo has a solid year get them next year.
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2019-09-16 3:55 AM (#727974 - in reply to #727954)

All-Star

Your comparison is poor. What the Jets did is meaningless. You don't look at the stupidity of other teams and make judgements on that. If that was the case the Flyers would be screwing up all of hockey. Neither Pionk or DeAngelo has done all that much yet. Difference is DeAngelo has been a discipline problem with a ton of maturity issues. Pionk has none of that. Whether you want to accept that or not, it's going to cost him money. Pionk was also playing 25 minutes a night before he got banged up and the Jets are thin on defense. Especially with Trouba coming here. If DeAngelo was more mature and coachable until the second half of last season he would be getting offered more money but he hasn't earned that trust yet. In any job in life if the bosses consider you a pain in the ass, you aren't going to get significant raises and that can't be argued. Sports is no different. JD's comments, "Tony can join us any time he likes." is telling. If the kid and his agent had any clue, he would take the offer and play for his next contract. Tony once again is showing his immaturity. He is probably telling himself he's better than Pionk. Means nothing. The Rangers are loaded with top, defenseman prospects. The Jets aren't. In other words, DeAngelo is expendable. Especially with Fox and Trouba here now.

Edited by itsmcilrathtime 2019-09-16 4:04 AM
concust
Posted 2019-09-16 8:00 AM (#727975 - in reply to #727954)

Legend

The comparison is poor, not because of all what dump spewed out, but because Pionk was arbitration eligible and DeAngelo is not.

Jets also had some space to play with, and couldn't afford to not sign Pionk after making that trade, so they had to loosen up the purse strings also. Pionk is a point/age comparable to some extent but there are significant other mitigating factors in the negotiation. From a pure dollars-to-points standpoint he's worth significantly more than Pionk but it just doesn't work that way.

Rangers at this point have very little need to move off their number since they have Trouba and Fox. Deangelo wants what he thinks he deserves, and his options are holding out or attracting an offer sheet, I don't see either one working out particularly well for him. The CBA grants players additional leverage as they age and progress, Deangelo simply is not at the point where he's earned any. But he's trying to compare himself to players who have.

He's played a full year in the AHL, two seasons of split AHL/NHL action, and a single full year of NHL, scoring 30 points in an inconsistent year. As talented as he is, he should still be on some type of "prove it contract rather than getting signed for $3m+ per.
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2019-09-16 8:12 AM (#727978 - in reply to #727954)

All-Star

Don't kid yourself. His attitude problems are a big reason he hasn't gotten more money. I don't think the Rangers would have any problem giving him 1.5 if they thought he was a sure thing not to be a pain in the ass. He can't be trusted yet by the organization. With the way he played the second half and the fact he's a righty, if he was a mature, easy coachable player the Rangers would most likely give him the money.
Rranger
Posted 2019-09-16 9:00 AM (#727981 - in reply to #727954)

MVP

90% of teams in the league would take DeAngelo over Pionk straight up. He's accomplished anything and everything Pionk ever has. DeAngelo is worth as much or more on the ice than Pionk. His agent knows that and so does DeAngelo. There is something to be said about Winnipeg overpaying Pionk which most would say they did. But it still puts DeAngelo in the $1,750,000 to $2,750,000 per no matter how you slice it. If the Rangers as reported are holding fast at $925,00 or so then Brisson obviously is pushing for at least double that. I've said Brisson needs to bite the bullet and sign the Rangers offer, the Ranger do hold the hammer. Next year is a different story and the Rangers might be trying for a decent bridge deal instead of just a one year thing.
DaTeL
Posted 2019-09-16 10:39 AM (#727983 - in reply to #727981)

Legend

Rranger - 2019-09-16 5:00 PM

90% of teams in the league would take DeAngelo over Pionk straight up. He's accomplished anything and everything Pionk ever has. DeAngelo is worth as much or more on the ice than Pionk. His agent knows that and so does DeAngelo. There is something to be said about Winnipeg overpaying Pionk which most would say they did. But it still puts DeAngelo in the $1,750,000 to $2,750,000 per no matter how you slice it. If the Rangers as reported are holding fast at $925,00 or so then Brisson obviously is pushing for at least double that. I've said Brisson needs to bite the bullet and sign the Rangers offer, the Ranger do hold the hammer. Next year is a different story and the Rangers might be trying for a decent bridge deal instead of just a one year thing.

Interesting - if TDA holds out for the whole year, does he become arbitration eligible?
My gut feeling says no but do not know for certain.

But if he indeed doesn't, I don't see a change in the dynamics. The Rangers would still hold the hammer.
Rranger
Posted 2019-09-16 10:48 AM (#727984 - in reply to #727983)

MVP

DaTeL - 2019-09-16 9:39 AM

Interesting - if TDA holds out for the whole year, does he become arbitration eligible?

But if he indeed doesn't, I don't see a change in the dynamics. The Rangers would still hold the hammer.

My gut is he signs just before training camp ends. At Ranger money. He has no other option, holding out is Very shortsighted on his and Brisson’ s end. If he’s worried about long term injury buy some insurance.
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2019-09-16 12:01 PM (#727985 - in reply to #727954)

All-Star

If 95% of the teams would take DeAngelo over Pionk you tool, then he would have gotten multiple offer sheets already. The fact you have anal love for him means nothing. He's been an immature asswipe his entire career so far. The last 25-30 games hardly changes that.
Rranger
Posted 2019-09-16 1:24 PM (#727986 - in reply to #727985)

MVP

itsmcilrathtime - 2019-09-16 11:01 AM

If 95% of the teams would take DeAngelo over Pionk you tool, then he would have gotten multiple offer sheets already. The fact you have anal love for him means nothing. He's been an immature asswipe his entire career so far. The last 25-30 games hardly changes that.

You continue to outdo yourself with your stupidity. Pionk is not a pickup anybody but a fool like you would be interested in. The fact DeAngelo is better than your wet dream Pionk doesn’t mean teams are interested in giving anything up for him. Try to grasp there is a difference between monetary value and free agent cost in terms of picks. You should have lots of time to dwell on it between your .25 cent per hour stints in your facilities kitchen.
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2019-09-17 3:07 AM (#727994 - in reply to #727954)

All-Star

DeAngelo is expendable and expendable players don't get to make contract demands.
Gravey09
Posted 2019-09-17 5:48 AM (#727996 - in reply to #727954)

All-Star

TD is again showing he can be a punk. A holdout? C,mon he is being an ass and just when there was a sign he may be growing up. Perhaps he is getting bad advice but ultimately it is his choice. He needed to hitting it hard during the summer with the Prentiss character and in camp day one. Payday will come now whatever happens his payday will be less over the entire career. Why, because he is an infant!
Vua
Posted 2019-09-17 8:49 AM (#727997 - in reply to #727996)

All-Star

Gravey09 - 2019-09-17 5:48 AM

TD is again showing he can be a punk. A holdout? C,mon he is being an ass and just when there was a sign he may be growing up. Perhaps he is getting bad advice but ultimately it is his choice. He needed to hitting it hard during the summer with the Prentiss character and in camp day one. Payday will come now whatever happens his payday will be less over the entire career. Why, because he is an infant!

I'm sure you'd want more money too. I understand why he thinks he should get more than $925k, and he probably should. But I understand why the Rangers are saying no. He has no leverage and no other place to really go. And with his previous off ice issues they want him to show he can behave. He'll sign eventually.
Rranger
Posted 2019-09-17 9:22 AM (#728000 - in reply to #727996)

MVP

Gravey09 - 2019-09-17 4:48 AM

Personally I was more worried with Claude Lemieux representing his son than Brisson representing DeAngelo. Lemieux Sr. over his years had a few contract issues. Brisson is one of the best in the business. When these guys sign up with Agents they put their contract negotiations in their hands, and the vast majority sit back and keep their mouth shut and let the Agent do the work. Brisson has done a few more contract negotiations than anyone on here and probably done pretty well at it or he wouldn't be one of the more popular Agents, with many high profile players in his fold.
Salary's being dished out in today's NHL are skyrocketing, and Brisson knows it and is obviously sticking to his guns for now, disagreeing with many on here that think DeAngelo and Lemieux should receive similar compensation. There is such a gap between their on ice production and use last season and so obvious it shouldn't need repeating. Like it or not DeAngelo was one of if not the best Ranger defenseman over the the second half of last season, and in a what have you done lately business rewarding any kind of success, you have Brisson undoubtedly sitting on anywhere from $1,750,000 to $3,000,000 depending on term. The only discernible reason for the two to be paid the same is their comparable stage in their career and lack of any real negotiation ability, other than the player sitting out. Do I agree with what DeAngelo is doing? No I don't, I think he should take anything up tp $1.5 mill and play his ass off for a deal next summer when he can go to arbitration. Which the vast majority on here agree with, but Brisson doesn't and at the end of the day he is doing what he thinks is the right thing for his client and he's the one getting the big bucks. Its a shame because the kid needs to play and build off the last 1/2 of last season, and instead he is stuck in the mess of his own doing, causing the Rangers to factor in his head space with his unquestionable physical talents.
robstones
Posted 2019-09-17 12:13 PM (#728003 - in reply to #727954)

Legend

I like this kid, but he's totally replaceable. Especially if Adam Fox lives up to ALL the hype...
x10003q
Posted 2019-09-17 1:14 PM (#728004 - in reply to #727954)
Subject: RE: Large gap with DeAngelo

MVP

Lots of D-men happy that Tony D is MIA

Defensemen (13): Brandon Crawley, Sean Day, Mason Geertsen, Libor Hajek, Joey Keane, Ryan Lindgren, Vincent LoVerde, Joe Morrow, Darren Raddysh, Tarmo Reunanen, Matthew Robertson, Yegor Rykov, Brendan Smith
Rangerjunkie
Posted 2019-09-17 1:57 PM (#728005 - in reply to #727954)

All-Star

I like how TD played the last half of the season last year. Problem is, there always seems to be "issues" with him. He's got every right to try and get as much money as he can, but to me this is another issue with him. Lemeuix settled for a slight raise understanding he had no leverage, why can't TD?

Rangers can't afford to give him what he wants. Sometimes there's addition by subtraction.
Rangerjunkie
Posted 2019-09-17 2:00 PM (#728006 - in reply to #727954)

All-Star

Eli to Coughlin and the Jags for Ramsey
concust
Posted 2019-09-17 4:07 PM (#728007 - in reply to #727983)

Legend

DaTeL - 2019-09-16 11:39 AM

No because if he holds out all year he doesn't gain any professional experience. So he gains nothing.

concust
Posted 2019-09-17 4:11 PM (#728008 - in reply to #727954)

Legend

This whole Brisson angle is interesting. Brisson represents a ton of big ticket high salary players. Whether DeAngelo signs for $925k or $2m or $4m a year for a couple years, is going to make so little difference to Brisson's bottom line that he wouldn't even notice.

Thus, DeAngelo is a growth client for Brisson - he's representing 77 in the hopes that he'll play well, become a star, and then at some point in the future when he's UFA and holding the Rangers over a barrel for $7m per, he will convert to a revenue client for Brisson.

So really, Brisson should be doing anything in his power to convince the kid to get on the ice and play, because his cut from this contract is going to be peanuts either way.

Rranger
Posted 2019-09-18 7:58 AM (#728015 - in reply to #727954)

MVP

Nhl agent commissions are reportedly 4% to 10%. Assuming as the contract value goes up the commision slides down Tony D's commision charge goes down. But even if his commision charge is only 4% and he signs for A $1,000,000 per thats still $40,000. Thats a lot of money. And if its a sliding scale the commision on a $1,000,000 is probably closer to the 10% which is a lot more money, so he deserves good handling. I hear what your saying about farming for lack of a better expression young players hoping they turn into big earners, but I'd guess most Agents feel if they look after the little guys as they mature and become the mainstays of the league the money will look after itself. DeAngelo's agent feels he is worth more money and it must be a significant difference in his opinion. This is a very different type of deal you have a guy who has flashed for 1/2 a season some very good and obvious talent, yet has some on and off ice maturation to do. He controlled his attitude the second 1/2 but the obvious Ranger question is does he have it under control? Which leads into their hesitancy to offer much more than Lemieux money. I think the surprising thing at work here is his Agent is almost ignoring that fact that DeAngelo needs to prove his issues are in the rear view mirror, instead negotiating like they are already. At the end of the day I'd still be very surprised Brisson doesn't fold and get him signed before camp ends, after running his bluff.. If he doesn't sign by then I'll be even more surprised if he doesn't at least get a max value no compensation offer or third round pick compensation offer from another team by then. The third round pick falls in the $1,395,054-$2,113,716: range, and puts the Rangers in a tough spot and Philly and a few other teams have no problem burning a bridge with the Rangers.
concust
Posted 2019-09-18 11:22 AM (#728018 - in reply to #727954)

Legend

So I have no inside information about the negotiation or anything but it's an interesting thought experiment.

Brisson has enough big ticket clients and has been around long enough that 40k is a drop in the bucket for him. Not saying he doesn't want to do right by his client, but really he's smarter if he plays this for the long term. Having his client hold out so he can make an extra 40k this year, which isn't enough to buy a new luxury SUV, would seem shortsighted.

I'm sure he's also trying to soothe his client - if client thinks he's worth X and you don't fight for him to get X (even if you think it's unrealistic), he won't be your client for long. It would not surprise me if TDA is overvaluing himself and making everyone else play along.

In the end Tony's going to miss a bunch of time in camp and will probably end up back on the Rangers with a modest raise (just over a million is my guess)

Interestingly, he is exactly the type of player who should attract an offer sheet. He's show enough to show he can play in the league, and he's in a contract negotiation low enough that the draft pick compensation would be worth it for the acquiring team.
x10003q
Posted 2019-09-18 3:11 PM (#728030 - in reply to #727954)

MVP

Here's a thought - imagine if Brendan Smith remembers how to play d? He could slot in on the right side of the 3rd pair. He would bring grit and experience to go with one of the younger d who could play the left side. This could be another reason why the Rangers seem to be in no hurry to sign TD.
sureshore
Posted 2019-09-19 8:02 AM (#728060 - in reply to #728030)

All-Star

x10003q - 2019-09-18 5:11 PM

Here's a thought - imagine if Brendan Smith remembers how to play d? He could slot in on the right side of the 3rd pair. He would bring grit and experience to go with one of the younger d who could play the left side. This could be another reason why the Rangers seem to be in no hurry to sign TD.
Well, based on the first pre-season game, Smith is the same guy we've seen. Dear God, don't slot him into a regular role on this team
Rranger
Posted 2019-09-19 9:37 AM (#728064 - in reply to #728060)

MVP

sureshore - 2019-09-19 7:02 AM

x10003q - 2019-09-18 5:11 PM

Well, based on the first pre-season game, Smith is the same guy we've seen. Dear God, don't slot him into a regular role on this team

X’s key word is IMAGINE Smith remembers how to play D. So we don’t have to worry about that. Hajek, Lindgren, possibly Rykov can fill his boots for a lot less money. And with the cap crunch is there any other avenue besides sending Smith to Hartford? It’s a ****ty deal for a borderline player like Smith but his pay cheque’s don’t change so I’m pretty sure he can live with it.
concust
Posted 2019-09-20 9:01 AM (#728078 - in reply to #727954)
Subject: Re: Rangers sign DeAngelo - 1 year $925k

Legend

DeAngelo caved, because he really had no other choice. 1 year, $925k. I bet he is traded by the end of the year.
concust
Posted 2019-09-20 9:02 AM (#728079 - in reply to #727954)

Legend

Tony DeAngelo
?
Verified account

@TonyDee07
Follow Follow @TonyDee07
More

Happy to be back. Hopefully for many more.
NTHockey
Posted 2019-09-20 9:05 AM (#728081 - in reply to #727954)

All-Star

TD signs one year deal for $925k. Same as Lemieux.

https://www.tsn.ca/new-york-rangers-defenceman-tony-deangelo-agree-t...

Meanwhile, Dan Girardi announces retirement. We owe him $7 million over next 4 years,with accompanying cap hits ($3.6 million this year and $1.1 million the 3 years after that).

https://www.tsn.ca/tampa-bay-lightning-d-dan-girardi-retires-at-35-1...
Rranger
Posted 2019-09-20 9:12 AM (#728082 - in reply to #728081)

MVP

NTHockey - 2019-09-20 8:05 AM

TD signs one year deal for $925k. Same as Lemieux.

https://www.tsn.ca/new-york-rangers-defenceman-tony-deangelo-agree-t...

Meanwhile, Dan Girardi announces retirement. We owe him $7 million over next 4 years,with accompanying cap hits ($3.6 million this year and $1.1 million the 3 years after that).

https://www.tsn.ca/tampa-bay-lightning-d-dan-girardi-retires-at-35-1...

In this day and age where everything is a win or loss this is a big win for the Rangers setting the table for future negotiations with many players coming off entry level deals. Well done Gorton. I'm surprised they got it done. Speaks well for DeAngelos camp to have taken their shot realized it wasn't going to happen and got him back on the ice. DeAngelo has the ability to rise as high up the Rangers depth chart as he's willing to go all in on. Contract stalemate is over, the guy has a bucketload of talent and can be a big help.

Edited by Rranger 2019-09-20 9:50 AM
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2019-09-20 11:55 AM (#728085 - in reply to #727954)

All-Star

Wise. Guess he saw Fox play and got scared. Loved Girardi. One of the best defenseman we had. It was a shame he played so hurt in the finals. If he didn't, we might have beaten the Kings and the refs.
x10003q
Posted 2019-09-20 2:36 PM (#728089 - in reply to #727954)
Subject: RE: Rangers sign DeAngelo - 1 year $925k

MVP

If Tony d is one of the top 6 dmen, the right side d will be highly offensive on both sides of the ice.
Rranger
Posted 2019-09-21 9:59 AM (#728108 - in reply to #727954)

MVP

I think Tony turns all corners this season, maturity, keeping his focus, pushes Trouba for best defence man, Rangers will have a big decision next summer. He’s probably not happy with his coin and likely to play his ass off.
Mark
Posted 2019-10-04 11:19 AM (#728355 - in reply to #728078)

Prospect

concust - 2019-09-19 11:01 AM

DeAngelo caved, because he really had no other choice. 1 year, $925k. I bet he is traded by the end of the year.

He should be tried up as a forward...he is too small to play D IMO...scrappy but doesnt intimidate anyone.

If Brendan Smith can play forward and D why not try TD?

Just a thought.

I didnt know he was a problem discipline wise, id have no patience with that, get rid of him.