OFFICIAL Rangers sign Patrick Nemeth
Fish
Posted 2021-07-26 10:20 AM (#780460)
Subject: OFFICIAL Rangers sign Patrick Nemeth

Publisher

Top of the page Bottom of the page
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2021-07-26 10:40 AM (#780461 - in reply to #780460)
Subject: RE: Rangers expected to sign Patrick Nemeth

Any player on the Red Wings who can play a decent amount of games for that pathetic team and go only -1 is a good signing. Gives Robertson a couple of years to round out his game.
Fish
Posted 2021-07-26 11:07 AM (#780462 - in reply to #780460)
Subject: Re: Rangers expected to sign Patrick Nemeth

Publisher

I wonder if this also increases the chances of Lundkvist playing on the third pair...also been rumors out there that Drury would not part with Lundkvist (or Schneider) as part of the Eichel trade, so perhaps this is further indication that the expect Lundkvist to have a good shot at making the roster.
Av-merican
Posted 2021-07-26 11:10 AM (#780463 - in reply to #780460)

If he's your 7th or even 8th guy, great. Anything above that and I don't think you'll like what you see.

Big, physical, not terrible skater, but his decision-making with the puck is on another level of bad. He committed some insanely bad turnovers for the Avs in his second stint with the team, and when he wasn't doing that he was getting completely run over by the Knights. He's a fringe NHLer who can help in a pinch, but his role must be extremely limited.
Vua
Posted 2021-07-26 11:29 AM (#780466 - in reply to #780463)

Av-merican - 2021-07-26 11:10 AM

If he's your 7th or even 8th guy, great. Anything above that and I don't think you'll like what you see.

Big, physical, not terrible skater, but his decision-making with the puck is on another level of bad. He committed some insanely bad turnovers for the Avs in his second stint with the team, and when he wasn't doing that he was getting completely run over by the Knights. He's a fringe NHLer who can help in a pinch, but his role must be extremely limited.

Well they will pay him league minimum for his hockey ability and an extra $2 million per year for his size. Honestly I don't know anything about the guy, but if they're about to give him $2.5-$3 million per for 3 years, that doesn't scream 7th defenseman. But I won't prejudge the guy. Maybe he'll be just what Nils and this team needs from their 6th defenseman. But after your comment, my expectations won't be all that high.
Fish
Posted 2021-07-26 11:50 AM (#780470 - in reply to #780460)

Publisher

Fish
Posted 2021-07-26 12:25 PM (#780471 - in reply to #780460)

Publisher

His contracts in recent times have been 1 or 2 years in duration so I'd guess this one is probably going to be 3 years @ $2.5M, going that route due to the timing of the leak. It may surprise and be just 2, so we'll see.
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2021-07-26 12:28 PM (#780472 - in reply to #780463)

Shocking, another fan who has no player evaluation skills that is talking like a professional scout. SMH. That's why fans and the media have been a joke for the past 10 years. If they knew 1/10 th as much as they claim to professional teams would be putting them on the payroll. Stating he's a 7th or 8th defenseman is a moronic remark. Try reading the real scouting reports. Basically, they say he's a good bottom pairing defenseman. The Av's lost to the Knights because their goalies suck ass. That's it. Period.
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2021-07-26 1:10 PM (#780473 - in reply to #780460)

In the last 4 losses to Vegas they gave up 5 goals in one, 6 goals in the another. Makar was a -4. Girard was a -7. Graubshit stopped 17 of 22 shots in game 6. He sucks. Overall in those four losses Makar was a -5, Girard was a -9, Nemeth was a -2. So your horsecrap about him being run over is just that. Horsecrap. Girard was abysmal in that series. I watched a lot of it. Their goaie was a joke.
Av-merican
Posted 2021-07-26 3:41 PM (#780476 - in reply to #780472)

itsmcilrathtime - 2021-07-26 1:28 PM

Shocking, another fan who has no player evaluation skills that is talking like a professional scout. SMH. That's why fans and the media have been a joke for the past 10 years. If they knew 1/10 th as much as they claim to professional teams would be putting them on the payroll. Stating he's a 7th or 8th defenseman is a moronic remark. Try reading the real scouting reports. Basically, they say he's a good bottom pairing defenseman. The Av's lost to the Knights because their goalies suck ass. That's it. Period.

I gotta admit, without your constant rage-posts this place would be kinda dull. Must be kinda exhausting but it looks like you're still going strong so keep it up!

You'll see one way or another. It's an overpayment for a depth guy, I personally don't care for him as a player but it's not like this guy will be the difference between playoffs and no playoffs for the Rangers.

LaFrenger
Posted 2021-07-26 8:50 PM (#780480 - in reply to #780460)

If he plays a strong physical game has Lundqvist’s back I’m for it. It’s obviously a guy checking a few boxes for Drury, He might get three years but I suspect minimal ability to holdup trades. Drury couldn’t possibly not leave himself outs, especially since Schneider better be here to start the 2022-2023season at the latest, hopefully Nemeth’s presence doesn’t affect Schneider arriving sooner . So as long as a one and done he can’t be any worse than Jack Johnson, or Bitetto but don’t get me going on that.
I’m also good with a Bagosian/Gudbranson type as a seventh. And goodbye Hajek, Bitetto.
Fish
Posted 2021-07-27 12:39 PM (#780492 - in reply to #780460)

Publisher

Av-merican
Posted 2021-07-27 12:46 PM (#780493 - in reply to #780480)

LaFrenger - 2021-07-26 9:50 PM

If he plays a strong physical game has Lundqvist’s back I’m for it. It’s obviously a guy checking a few boxes for Drury, He might get three years but I suspect minimal ability to holdup trades. Drury couldn’t possibly not leave himself outs, especially since Schneider better be here to start the 2022-2023season at the latest, hopefully Nemeth’s presence doesn’t affect Schneider arriving sooner . So as long as a one and done he can’t be any worse than Jack Johnson, or Bitetto but don’t get me going on that.
I’m also good with a Bagosian/Gudbranson type as a seventh. And goodbye Hajek, Bitetto.

He is definitely better than Bitteto, probably better than Gudbranson, but 3 years at $2.5 million AAV (according to Brooks) is a bit much to throw at a clear #6/7 defenseman.

The good news is that the Rangers have some real stars on D and his role should be limited at least.
LaFrenger
Posted 2021-07-27 1:42 PM (#780495 - in reply to #780493)

Av-merican - 2021-07-27 11:46 AM

LaFrenger - 2021-07-26 9:50 PM

He is definitely better than Bitteto, probably better than Gudbranson, but 3 years at $2.5 million AAV (according to Brooks) is a bit much to throw at a clear #6/7 defenseman.

The good news is that the Rangers have some real stars on D and his role should be limited at least.

I hear you but would suggest this is a player Drury wants and has a particular physicality needed, not just to beef up the defence but also ride shotgun for Lunqvist, and as a bonus speaks his language. His salary is about the same as it’s been, the term is pretty much a going rate and as long as Drury can move him whenever he wants I don’t see the term being a hitch. He’s outa here after a year no matter what. All in all a hell of a lot better than the scrubs signed last year.
Fish
Posted 2021-07-28 9:24 AM (#780522 - in reply to #780460)
Subject: Re: OFFICIAL Rangers sign Patrick Nemeth

Publisher

No surprises on this deal, made official