Perfect example of why you lock up some players early.
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2021-10-15 12:58 PM (#781576)
Subject: Perfect example of why you lock up some players early.

If moron Gorton had locked up Fox to a 5 year extension after his first season when it was obvious he was a really good defenseman, it would have saved the organization a ton. McAvoy is a really good defenseman and he just got over 9 million a season. Fox is on another level. Now we are looking at 10+ million instead of about 4.5 to 5 million if dumbass Gorton locked him up after his impressive rookie season.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Fish
Posted 2021-10-15 1:00 PM (#781577 - in reply to #781576)
Subject: RE: Perfect example of why you lock up some players early.

Publisher

itsmcilrathtime - 2021-10-15 1:58 PM

If moron Gorton had locked up Fox to a 5 year extension after his first season when it was obvious he was a really good defenseman, it would have saved the organization a ton. McAvoy is a really good defenseman and he just got over 9 million a season. Fox is on another level. Now we are looking at 10+ million instead of about 4.5 to 5 million if dumbass Gorton locked him up after his impressive rookie season.

Pretty sure you can only sign a player to an extension in their final year of their contract. It was to prevent teams from circumventing the salary cap and length of contract limits. It used to be that you could only sign it after January 1st, but that was renegotiated at some point to the final year.
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2021-10-15 4:37 PM (#781581 - in reply to #781576)
Subject: RE: Perfect example of why you lock up some players early.

Maybe. I thought that I saw teams do that. If that is the case, than the team was screwed regardless. Not sure why that would be a rule. I would think you could extend a player any time you want. I don't see the reasoning why you wouldn't be able to do that. I don't see how you could avoid the cap. If you give a player an extension, you are going to get hit with the cap no matter what. I thought it was the scumbag Devils with the Kovalchuk deal where they gave him that crazy long deal with less money per season but the contract went forever that the league had a problem with.
Fish
Posted 2021-12-15 11:00 AM (#784473 - in reply to #781576)
Subject: Re: Perfect example of why you lock up some players early.

Publisher

The rule has been around to prevent players from signing deals to circumvent the Cap. For instance, say a team had a $5M player, he was in his final year, was due a big raise, but the team had no cap space the following season. They could sign him to a $1M for next year, and then go ahead and extend him again for $10M say the following seasons.

That's an extreme example, but that's the reason they don't allow extensions except in the last year. Earlier in the cap, they used to only allow extensions after December, but now they allow it anytime during the final year. They also allow a team resigning a player, to offer one more year.