Home Page
 OTG

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Derek Boogaard found dead at home
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [35 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Rangers -> Season's GreetingsMessage format

sark76
Posted 2011-05-17 8:07 AM (#519025 - in reply to #518801)
Subject: Re: Derek Boogaard found dead at home

MVP

You can feel bad and think respectfully of someones death but still try to figure out whats going on from a business standpoint...there is nothing wrong with that. This is a board is about the team so wondering about the cap is normal. To be thankful he's off the cap is another story. If i died I know everyone at my office would be grieving but they would still be looking for a replacement for me at the same time...life is for the living...its moves on because the alternative is unthinkabe.

I didn't start this thread with the intentions of it being a tribute or memorial..just news

Edited by sark76 2011-05-17 8:09 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Coachrd
Posted 2011-05-17 3:42 PM (#519052 - in reply to #518801)

Legend

I have no problem with the questions about the cap relief. That's a fair and valid question or point.

I find a problem with (A) celebrating it, and (B) in the very same sentence that claims Boogard dies of an overdose.
Gartner
Posted 2011-05-17 7:12 PM (#519057 - in reply to #519052)

MVP

More good stuff from Jesse Rubenstein

Posted by Jess Rubenstein
It seems that for Monday the theme should have been timing as it sure seems like several people had bad timing.

We already know about Larry Brook's idea of timing but it is rather interesting how many of you reacted to his piece and our response. Thank you for your comments both pro and con as all of them were thought out and good for further discussion.

The one response that perhaps deserves the public response is asking me if it being Larry Brooks is what angered me the most rather than what Brooks disclosed.

Honestly that yes my own dislike for Larry Brooks that fueled the urge to write but by the time I was finished it also was my own dislike for how our privacy gets violated with little thought or consideration.

It seems that just every other day we are reading about some company reporting that our information was stolen. Something is wrong when you get an email from McDonalds that someone hacked into their email marketing company and stole your information.

At the same time I can not deny that a strong dislike of the methods used by the New York Post to "report" the news. Once upon a time the Post was an actual honest fair news paper but since the purchase by Rupert Murdoch; it has turned into a rag not worthy of using under a cat's litterbox.

But should we also ask where do we draw the line when it comes to "the public's need to know"? For way too long there has been a grey area that blurs the line between what we should know and what we should not.

I do not need to see pictures of Bin Laden's body to know that he is dead and find myself why do we need to see images of someone's head blown off. Trust me if you have ever seen one in person it is an image that you will never ever forget.

And yes even if it was a different writer than Larry Brooks that I still would have a problem with what was disclosed regarding Derek Boogaard. It does not help the situation by disclosing what should be a private situation.

Then there is what George Laraque said about the Ranger's supposed treatment of Boogaard this past season (stick tap to Joe Yerdon at Pro Hockey Talk). Yes we can understand that Laraque is hurting because a friend of his died and can feel compassion for his pain.

But without meaning to Laraque has opened up a door for speculation as to what happened to his friend. Laraque in an interview with a Toronto radio station on Monday accused the Rangers of mishandling Boogaard.

Laraque said

"He was cleared to play at the end of the season and the team just told him to take the rest of the year off," Laraque told NHL HOME ICE on SiriusXM Radio. "You know how much pressure that puts on a guy? He was ready to play with the contract he had and the team says, 'It's OK, just take the rest of the year off.' On top of that, he told me his coach was not a big fan of him."

Without meaning to Laraque has basically opened a door for people to think that Boogaard was depressed and possibly committed suicide over the situation.

More Laraque

"I don't want to insinuate anything that happened and the cause (of his death) or whatever but I would have been frustrated if I was in that situation. The fact he was inactive so long and those two incidents happened, it clearly didn't help him."

But without meaning to that is very much what he did with his accusations towards the Rangers and more pointedly John Tortorella. No offense to Laraque but the majority of Ranger fans will tell you that by the time Boogaard was reportedly cleared; the Rangers were fighting for their playoff lives and they did not have a use for him.

Now defending how the Rangers do business is not something I would do but it is hard to blame them for being honest with Boogaard. Would his level of frustration been any better if he spent March, April and the first round of the playoffs in the press box as a healthy scratch?

What makes what Laraque said worse is this part

"All I know is that Derek told me he was cleared to play, to come back, that he wanted to play and the team told him to take the rest of the year off, to get ready for next year. He didn't tell me who told him that, he just told me the team said that."

And because even he does not know who reportedly said that then it only hurts Boogaard's situation rather than doing anything to the Rangers. As bad as we all may feel about Boogaard's passing at the very same time as a player he did not contribute much to the Rangers and Ranger fans know it.

Laraque winds up tossing gas on what has been a simmering fire and despite what Laraque might feel was good intentions just hurts instead.

We just wish people would stop and think before making accusations because right now the ones that are getting hurt the most by all of this is the Boogaard family. It is hard enough that they are burying a loved one, now they are watching his legacy being trashed left and right.

So much for "Rest In Peace"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rumor of the Day

It seems that Boston College message board have been hinting that Chris Kreider has not shut the door on his returning for his junior year. Kreider told Andrew Gross at Ranger Rants that nothing has changed for him and his intention is to return to Boston College.

Kreider

“There wasn’t an offer on the table,” Kreider said. “If (the Rangers) have been in touch with my agent, I’m not aware of it. They haven’t been in touch with me at all.”

There is a couple of things that previous experience has taught us which is the Rangers are not going to make any offer until either July 1st or there is a clear sign that Kreider would be interested in signing with the Rangers.

Honestly Kreider is doing the right thing by returning to Boston College for his junior season. But if we could offer him some advice then it would be that if he receives an invite to the Ranger prospect/rookie camp held right after the draft that he turns it down.

The Rangers will not mess with Kreider's eligibility to play for Boston College so they will not say anything. They do not have because they have at least 3 secret agents in place to convince him to sign with the Rangers.

Ryan Bourque will be at the prospect camp for sure and it sure would be really swell if he was able to have his hometown pal playing with him in Hartford.

Derek Stepan and Ryan McDonagh are not required to attend the camp but that does not mean when off-season workouts are happening that good friend Chris will not work out with them.

The Ranger's ace in the hole is going to be McDonagh who was in Kreider's shoes last year. McDonagh was very unsure that he was going to leave Wisconsin until he attended the camp.

The Rangers did not have to do any selling to McDonagh as the practice facility and one Derek Stepan played salesman for them. Like we said Chris if you are serious then stay away from the Ranger camp.

Derek Stepan used car salesman (and yes he is good)

"You know Chris how cool would it be if we got to be roommates in Manhattan this season? Why not spend the summer with me here as we can work out together with Ryan and enjoy the sights?"

Gut feeling is that the 3 Amigos will be riding into Ranger training camp this fall.

francois arouet
Posted 2011-05-17 8:22 PM (#519058 - in reply to #519052)

Regular

Coachrd - 2011-05-17 3:42 PM

I have no problem with the questions about the cap relief. That's a fair and valid question or point.

I find a problem with (A) celebrating it, and (B) in the very same sentence that claims Boogard dies of an overdose.

People with brain trauma or other traumas self-medicate. If he had CTE, or something neurological, then Boogard taking drugs is just cause and effect. It's not for celebration and is actually quite sad, and symptomatic of huge problems in the game. There is no fault here on Boogard's part, even if he A.O.D'd...he wouldn't have done so, if he did, if he wasn't suffering badly.

This is a lot sadder than a lot of things, even Cherepanov, because hockey probably killed Boogard, and that means terrible implications for our game. Still, we'll take the 1.6M in cap relief, now that it's done. What are we to do? Is it a silver lining? No way. It's just all there is at this point.
steveo_88
Posted 2011-05-18 5:45 AM (#519073 - in reply to #518801)
Subject: RE: Derek Boogaard found dead at home

Scorer

Very sad news indeed. But at least the Boogieman lived the dream playing hockey in the NHL!

In 2003 my football club lost a player playing for Cameroon, he died from a heart attack on the pitch although he had a recognised hole in his heart. It's awful when something like this happens and it will feel worse next season when for the first time he's not there!
sark76
Posted 2011-05-18 6:13 AM (#519075 - in reply to #519058)

MVP

francois arouet - 2011-05-17 10:22 PM

People with brain trauma or other traumas self-medicate. If he had CTE, or something neurological, then Boogard taking drugs is just cause and effect. It's not for celebration and is actually quite sad, and symptomatic of huge problems in the game. There is no fault here on Boogard's part, even if he A.O.D'd...he wouldn't have done so, if he did, if he wasn't suffering badly.

Good thoughts and very very true words about self medication...but this whole senerio is still only speculation.
francois arouet
Posted 2011-05-18 2:34 PM (#519090 - in reply to #519075)

Regular

sark76 - 2011-05-18 6:13 AM

francois arouet - 2011-05-17 10:22 PM

Good thoughts and very very true words about self medication...but this whole senerio is still only speculation.

It's speculation but with all of these guys...Probert, Chris Henry, Dave Duerson, Andre Waters, the U of Penn kids....it is highly unlikely that Boogard didn't have neurological problems, i.e. Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy. The Times has followed the story and done a great job covering it for a long time. With every new article, I am questioning my allegiance to hockey and football. I mean, these are blood sports, but death should not be a consequence for these guys.
francois arouet
Posted 2011-05-18 2:36 PM (#519091 - in reply to #518801)

Regular

http://crackbillionair.wordpress.com/2011/05/15/boogards-family-don...
sark76
Posted 2011-05-18 3:17 PM (#519094 - in reply to #519091)

MVP

and this link is exactly why I point out everything is speculation at this point. First, his substance abuse program or whatever they call it now-a-days should never been reported until all the final tests had been run, if then ever at all. Even if we all think he could have had chronic neurological problems from concussions we won't know for a few weeks. Its important for the deceased and the game itself to not make any snap decisions based on theory or speculation. Although I wouldn't be terribly shocked to find out all these theories are true, we owe it to him and the game to find out the truth first.
francois arouet
Posted 2011-05-18 7:13 PM (#519098 - in reply to #519094)

Regular

sark76 - 2011-05-18 3:17 PM

and this link is exactly why I point out everything is speculation at this point. First, his substance abuse program or whatever they call it now-a-days should never been reported until all the final tests had been run, if then ever at all. Even if we all think he could have had chronic neurological problems from concussions we won't know for a few weeks. Its important for the deceased and the game itself to not make any snap decisions based on theory or speculation. Although I wouldn't be terribly shocked to find out all these theories are true, we owe it to him and the game to find out the truth first.

That's naive. It's news. The family donated his brain to CTE research. That should not be a secret. That's pretty major in terms of the family's thinking, and that they are forward thinking people who care about the implications of their son's situation, whatever they may be. With regard to his substance issues...people need to move past the notion that substance issues imply someone is a bad person. If you read that in, then that's judgmental. He medicated himself or quite possibly, doctors medicated him. There's no shame in that. It is what it is. The man took punches for a living. If people don't think that had something to do with him having concussions, then here's a newsflash: it had everything to do with the concussions. That, and playing a high intensity sport where guys are getting concussed or pre-concussed every single play.

The family did the right thing. This should be news and it is. The faster it gets out there, the better for everyone.
concust
Posted 2011-05-19 12:38 PM (#519140 - in reply to #518801)

Legend

R.I.P. Boogie.
lennynyr
Posted 2011-05-19 2:20 PM (#519151 - in reply to #519057)

All-Star

Gartner - 2011-05-17 9:12 PM

More good stuff from Jesse Rubenstein

It seems that for Monday the theme should have been timing as it sure seems like several people had bad timing.

We already know about Larry Brook's idea of timing but it is rather interesting how many of you reacted to his piece and our response. Thank you for your comments both pro and con as all of them were thought out and good for further discussion.

The one response that perhaps deserves the public response is asking me if it being Larry Brooks is what angered me the most rather than what Brooks disclosed.

Honestly that yes my own dislike for Larry Brooks that fueled the urge to write but by the time I was finished it also was my own dislike for how our privacy gets violated with little thought or consideration.

It seems that just every other day we are reading about some company reporting that our information was stolen. Something is wrong when you get an email from McDonalds that someone hacked into their email marketing company and stole your information.

At the same time I can not deny that a strong dislike of the methods used by the New York Post to "report" the news. Once upon a time the Post was an actual honest fair news paper but since the purchase by Rupert Murdoch; it has turned into a rag not worthy of using under a cat's litterbox.

But should we also ask where do we draw the line when it comes to "the public's need to know"? For way too long there has been a grey area that blurs the line between what we should know and what we should not.

I do not need to see pictures of Bin Laden's body to know that he is dead and find myself why do we need to see images of someone's head blown off. Trust me if you have ever seen one in person it is an image that you will never ever forget.

And yes even if it was a different writer than Larry Brooks that I still would have a problem with what was disclosed regarding Derek Boogaard. It does not help the situation by disclosing what should be a private situation.

Then there is what George Laraque said about the Ranger's supposed treatment of Boogaard this past season (stick tap to Joe Yerdon at Pro Hockey Talk). Yes we can understand that Laraque is hurting because a friend of his died and can feel compassion for his pain.

But without meaning to Laraque has opened up a door for speculation as to what happened to his friend. Laraque in an interview with a Toronto radio station on Monday accused the Rangers of mishandling Boogaard.

Laraque said

"He was cleared to play at the end of the season and the team just told him to take the rest of the year off," Laraque told NHL HOME ICE on SiriusXM Radio. "You know how much pressure that puts on a guy? He was ready to play with the contract he had and the team says, 'It's OK, just take the rest of the year off.' On top of that, he told me his coach was not a big fan of him."

Without meaning to Laraque has basically opened a door for people to think that Boogaard was depressed and possibly committed suicide over the situation.

More Laraque

"I don't want to insinuate anything that happened and the cause (of his death) or whatever but I would have been frustrated if I was in that situation. The fact he was inactive so long and those two incidents happened, it clearly didn't help him."

But without meaning to that is very much what he did with his accusations towards the Rangers and more pointedly John Tortorella. No offense to Laraque but the majority of Ranger fans will tell you that by the time Boogaard was reportedly cleared; the Rangers were fighting for their playoff lives and they did not have a use for him.

Now defending how the Rangers do business is not something I would do but it is hard to blame them for being honest with Boogaard. Would his level of frustration been any better if he spent March, April and the first round of the playoffs in the press box as a healthy scratch?

What makes what Laraque said worse is this part

"All I know is that Derek told me he was cleared to play, to come back, that he wanted to play and the team told him to take the rest of the year off, to get ready for next year. He didn't tell me who told him that, he just told me the team said that."

And because even he does not know who reportedly said that then it only hurts Boogaard's situation rather than doing anything to the Rangers. As bad as we all may feel about Boogaard's passing at the very same time as a player he did not contribute much to the Rangers and Ranger fans know it.

Laraque winds up tossing gas on what has been a simmering fire and despite what Laraque might feel was good intentions just hurts instead.

We just wish people would stop and think before making accusations because right now the ones that are getting hurt the most by all of this is the Boogaard family. It is hard enough that they are burying a loved one, now they are watching his legacy being trashed left and right.

So much for "Rest In Peace"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rumor of the Day

It seems that Boston College message board have been hinting that Chris Kreider has not shut the door on his returning for his junior year. Kreider told Andrew Gross at Ranger Rants that nothing has changed for him and his intention is to return to Boston College.

Kreider

“There wasn’t an offer on the table,” Kreider said. “If (the Rangers) have been in touch with my agent, I’m not aware of it. They haven’t been in touch with me at all.”

There is a couple of things that previous experience has taught us which is the Rangers are not going to make any offer until either July 1st or there is a clear sign that Kreider would be interested in signing with the Rangers.

Honestly Kreider is doing the right thing by returning to Boston College for his junior season. But if we could offer him some advice then it would be that if he receives an invite to the Ranger prospect/rookie camp held right after the draft that he turns it down.

The Rangers will not mess with Kreider's eligibility to play for Boston College so they will not say anything. They do not have because they have at least 3 secret agents in place to convince him to sign with the Rangers.

Ryan Bourque will be at the prospect camp for sure and it sure would be really swell if he was able to have his hometown pal playing with him in Hartford.

Derek Stepan and Ryan McDonagh are not required to attend the camp but that does not mean when off-season workouts are happening that good friend Chris will not work out with them.

The Ranger's ace in the hole is going to be McDonagh who was in Kreider's shoes last year. McDonagh was very unsure that he was going to leave Wisconsin until he attended the camp.

The Rangers did not have to do any selling to McDonagh as the practice facility and one Derek Stepan played salesman for them. Like we said Chris if you are serious then stay away from the Ranger camp.

Derek Stepan used car salesman (and yes he is good)

"You know Chris how cool would it be if we got to be roommates in Manhattan this season? Why not spend the summer with me here as we can work out together with Ryan and enjoy the sights?"

Gut feeling is that the 3 Amigos will be riding into Ranger training camp this fall.

Jess is the best for prospects info. he should be proud of himself. For an onery poster like me, we had many battles on NYTRF, he put in the effort in to became a respected hockey analyst specializing in prospects while I just became older...

francois arouet
Posted 2011-05-19 7:26 PM (#519166 - in reply to #518801)

Regular

Brooks reported things already reported by the Minneapolis Star Tribune. They broke the recovery program story, not Brooks. Though it is good he is diligent. As for Laraque...he's pissed about his friend. That's legitimate. But down the stretch, every point being meaningful, Boogard was not going to play. Guys with concussions usually could use every extra bit of rest they can get. The Rangers haven't done a great job with too many things historically, but do we really think they were in the wrong by being cautious and sending him home?

Kreider hopefully signs. He has some size, which most of our good forward prospects lack. It's harder to get excited about Carl Hagelin or Thomas or Bourque because they are shrimps. If Kreider is a bigger Stepan, then he can make a big difference. That he says he wants to stay at BC is irrelevant at this point, b/c as he says, there's no money on the table.
sark76
Posted 2011-05-20 7:19 AM (#519183 - in reply to #518801)

MVP

geez can't people be more patience?!? Were talking death here!
TheDeuce89
Posted 2011-05-20 11:56 AM (#519219 - in reply to #518801)

All-Star

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=366360

Looks like it was mixing alcohol and pills...bad way to go out. I feel terrible for him and his family, even more-so now. I'm happy, in a way, that it wasn't concussion-related (at least not directly). But I've had friends overdose or mix sh*t they shouldn't have and die from it. It's really tragic. RIP big guy.

EDIT: It was accidental -- no suicidal intent or anything.

Edited by TheDeuce89 2011-05-20 12:06 PM
GeneralMess
Posted 2011-05-20 12:16 PM (#519220 - in reply to #518801)

Legend

At least now we have closure.
discostu4200
Posted 2011-05-20 12:20 PM (#519221 - in reply to #518801)

Scorer

Shame to loose him to this but he will sill be remembered as a great teammate and guy
poppapiz
Posted 2011-05-20 12:46 PM (#519225 - in reply to #518801)

Rookie

Like I said...an OD.....What a shame
francois arouet
Posted 2011-05-20 9:13 PM (#519245 - in reply to #519052)

Regular

You can't legislate class, coach. And we all know they will misuse that cap space anyway...LOL
Gartner
Posted 2011-05-21 12:20 AM (#519248 - in reply to #519225)

MVP

poppapiz - 2011-05-20 2:46 PM

Still wrong... It wasn't an overdose... it was mixing oxycodone, that he became addicted to, from all the pain he endured with alcohol.
sark76
Posted 2011-05-21 7:05 AM (#519253 - in reply to #519248)

MVP

Gartner - 2011-05-21 2:20 AM

poppapiz - 2011-05-20 2:46 PM

Still wrong... It wasn't an overdose... it was mixing oxycodone, that he became addicted to, from all the pain he endured with alcohol.

Whatever you want to call it, overdose, thoughtful polyphamacy, pill dependency...it all boils down to the same thing…Misuse and abuse of drugs, in this case oxy and alcohol. He was warned about the dangers of mixing these to drugs. Whether one was prescription or not does not change the fact that direct abuse was a contributing factor in his death...Although OD might not be the 100% correct clinical term...I have NO problem with anyone saying that he ODed as that applies the same purposeful misuse of a drug or drugs.
GeneralMess
Posted 2011-05-21 10:38 PM (#519275 - in reply to #518801)

Legend

Random thoughts, next season to have the team have some sort of patch on their jersey DB on the chest or shoulder (like they had on Thrashers jersey when Snyder died...or Wings had for Konstantinov) also "94" on the ice behind both goalie nets for the season.
ThirtyFive
Posted 2011-05-22 2:53 PM (#519285 - in reply to #518801)

MVP

I'll unsticky this, if nobody minds, now that Derek has been put to rest.
Mjolnir
Posted 2011-05-22 7:15 PM (#519294 - in reply to #519275)

Legend

GeneralMess - 2011-05-22 12:38 AM

Random thoughts, next season to have the team have some sort of patch on their jersey DB on the chest or shoulder (like they had on Thrashers jersey when Snyder died...or Wings had for Konstantinov) also "94" on the ice behind both goalie nets for the season.
I disagree...you're talking apples and oranges.
Mike from Hartford
Posted 2011-05-29 9:23 AM (#519652 - in reply to #518801)

All-Star

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=6598296

Espn just had a pretty nice article talking about Boogaard off the ice and whatnot.
concust
Posted 2011-05-31 4:05 PM (#519721 - in reply to #519294)

Legend

Mjolnir - 2011-05-22 7:15 PM

GeneralMess - 2011-05-22 12:38 AM

I disagree...you're talking apples and oranges.

Well you're always talking apples and oranges, you can't ever really compare deaths and accidents to each other.

Personally I think they should have a small "94" tribute to wear throughout the year. I don't care what his role was or how many points he scored, how much the fans liked or didn't like him, or how much he was in the plans for the future. The guy died a member of the New York Rangers and failing to recognize that in some tangible way is a slap in the face.
ThirtyFive
Posted 2011-09-15 11:53 AM (#529004 - in reply to #518801)

MVP

http://www.snyrangersblog.com/2011/09/15/news-rangers-will-wear-hel...
Darren Dreger of TSN said that the Rangers will wear a helmet decal for Derek Boogaard this season. A nice move by the Rangers to honor Derek. Probably a 94 in a white or blue circle on the back of the helmet.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [35 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2014 PD9 Software