Home Page
 OTG

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Offseason Predictions & Thoughts
[Frozen]

Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... >
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Frozen    Rangers -> Winter Is ComingMessage format

scthockey2294
Posted 2016-05-02 3:38 PM (#662254)
Subject: Offseason Predictions & Thoughts

Scorer

This is a crucial offseason for this team as they look to retool on the go

The key is to get faster, younger, and bigger (easier said than done)
this being said, who goes and who stays?

Definitely Gone are:

Moore
Boyle
E Staal

Maybe Gone are:

Yandle (Probably)
Stalberg
Fast
Glass
Kreider (RFA offersheet trade)
Nash (Trade)
Stepan & Brassard (Trade rumblings)
Mcilrath
Staal
Girardi
(one of these guys will be highly shopped, well both will)

Who is Back for sure?

Miller
McDonaugh
Skjei
Klein
Hank
Raanta
Hayes (AV confirmed)
Lindberg (probably)
Fast (probably)

So where do they go from here? Nash being moved is an option
Buchnevich is supposed to be coming and have a chance to contribute to the top 9
Lindberg would be assumed to take the 4th line center role unless someone like Darren Helm, Santorelli, or Ott is brought in

The PK & PP need help so bringing in a Helm for the PK would be a great idea

Adding Jamie McGinn would be a solid addition to the 3rd & 4th lines for some size, grit, and talent

There is much to be done and I don't think anyone has any clue as to how this team is going to look next year.

Kreider Stepan Zucc
Miller Brassard Buchnevich
Lindberg Hayes McGinn
Fast Helm Stalberg
Prust (please)

Mcdonaugh Klein
Shattenkirk Staal
Skjei Girardi
Mcilrath

Hank
Raanta

Nash to STL to be back with Hitch for Kevin Shattenkirk at 1 year for 4.5 mill
I'd like an upgrade at the left wing position on the 3rd line & 4th lines & Hayes needs to prove last year was a soph slump

Thoughts & opinions for the team next year?

Edited by scthockey2294 2016-05-02 3:43 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nick Fotiu #22
Posted 2016-05-02 5:58 PM (#662255 - in reply to #662254)
Subject: Re: Offseason Predictions & Thoughts

I would like to see AV go
scthockey2294
Posted 2016-05-02 10:12 PM (#662259 - in reply to #662254)

Scorer

Like that'll happen
Stanley
Posted 2016-05-05 11:00 AM (#662322 - in reply to #662254)

What they will do?

I think if Stamkos is willing to sign with them that is a slam dunk. They would move any current players for pennies on the dollar to make the cap space. It will turn out not too different than Richards, he is a good player but his cap hit along with the others, with the lack of top end prospects coming up, it's a one line team that never has the cap space to make it very good. It's Tampa before they added in good prospects that became good NHLers and by the time the Rangers can, Stamkos will be declined.

If Stamkos is not willing, they do similar to what they always do, UFA out, UFA in. Vet out, Vet in.

What I'd like to see that will never happen

Move away from AV, he is not going to be on board.

Paul MacLean maybe, let him know the plan is youth development but not to tank. He was pretty good with a roster similar to the one I am proposing in Ottawa until he lost his mind. Steve Valiquette gets put somewhere.

They need better pro scouts or they need to listen to the ones they have if they have been telling them not to do the things they have been.

So far, Raanta seems like a decent enough back-up, decent signing.

From here if they just signed their RFAs to decent deals and let their higher cap hit UFAs walk without adding in more I'd be happy with the off-season. Would be tempted to forgo the bridge deal to Miller and just buy up UFA years now.

I figure they can not move Girardi, Staal, without some drawbacks, may as well just let them be the vets until they can move them without taking back poor contracts, retaining salary, buyouts, or adding in sweeteners.

Nash I think is useful, like in that he can be moved at some other time for a better return or at least can help be a vet to hang around and buffer the youth. Plus if moved now I think they have to take back something they will not want, like a cap hit to a player who can not perform to it even if it's a lesser cap hit than Nash has. Plus if there is an expansion draft and teams need to expose salary Nash has that.

Something like

Stepan, Brassard, Hayes
Kreider, Nash, Zucc, Miller
Lindberg, Buchnevich, Fast maybe Stalberg(if he is like 1.5M cap hit)
Hrivik (if he can be re-signed)
Tambellini, Jensen, prospects
without AV maybe even Glass can hang around as an extra who plays sparingly.

McD-Klein
Skjei-McIlrath
Staal-Girardi
Graves, prospects

Lundqvist
Raanta

Let the chips fall where they may, sell at the deadline if they can find good deals. Heck maybe they are good enough to make the playoffs and they stand pat at the deadline, but mostly the point is to have a decent team, develop youth, build up picks and prospects if possible but mostly stop the buying of vets and adding in crazy contracts with clauses.

Edited by Stanley 2016-05-05 11:07 AM
concust
Posted 2016-05-05 11:26 AM (#662324 - in reply to #662254)

Legend

Alex Radulov is returning to the NHL.

Anyone? Anyone?

Stanley
Posted 2016-05-05 12:14 PM (#662327 - in reply to #662324)

concust - 2016-05-05 1:26 PM

Alex Radulov is returning to the NHL.

Anyone? Anyone?

At least the writers can recycle their old articles and just swap the names, coaches can drag out the same stuff

There is nothing negative about the signing of the 28-year-old winger whose personally disappointing 51-point season (19-32) in Los Angeles would have made him the Rangers’ third-leading scorer and whose contract leaves general manager Glen Sather enough cap space with which to maneuver.

No, Frolov is not the elite center the club is thirsting for, but he has more immediate upside as a first-line bookend across from Marian Gaborik than either Brandon Dubinsky or Vinny Prospal, who were the two leading contenders for the job before the signing.

Tortorella told The Post by phone.

“I think Frolov makes us a more formidable team. I like him on the power play. I think we’ll certainly take a look at him with Gabby, but nothing is set. I don’t want to lock myself into anything in July. I don’t want to lock myself into anything in September.

“Plus, nobody should make the mistake of thinking that we’re closing off opportunities for the kids,” Tortorella said. “They’re going to get their chance.”

http://nypost.com/2010/07/28/newly-signed-frolov-boosts-rangers-att...

2010-11 scoring
Frolov 43 games 7 goals 9 assists 16 points
Dubinsky 77 games 24 goals 30assists 54 points

concust
Posted 2016-05-05 12:36 PM (#662328 - in reply to #662254)

Legend

Let me give it a try....

There are few negatives about the signing of the 29-year-old Russian winger whose 65-point season (23-42) in the KHL should boost the Rangers' anemic offense and whose contract leaves general manager Jeff Gorton enough cap space to sign another UFA bottom 6 winger.

No, Radulov is not the elite winger the club needs after the trade of Rick Nash, but he has more immediate upside as a first-line bookend across from Mats Zuccarello than either JT Miller or Chris Kreider, who were the two leading contenders for the job before the signing.

Vigneault told The Post by phone,

“I think Radulov makes us a more talented team. I like him on the power play. I think we’ll certainly take a look at him with Brassard, but nothing is set. I don’t want to lock myself into anything in July. I don’t want to lock myself into anything in September. Or ever, really. We're going to be changing lines every game probably. Maybe sometimes in the middle of a game. Guys shouldn't expect to end a shift on the same line they started on."

“Plus, nobody should make the mistake of thinking that we’re closing off opportunities for the kids,” Vigneault said. “They’re going to get their chance.”

As far as I can tell, that last line is actually the least likely to be true.

scthockey2294
Posted 2016-05-06 7:35 PM (#662348 - in reply to #662254)

Scorer

I see Mcilrath being shafted by AV & him continuing to play vets over young guys
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2016-05-07 4:59 AM (#662350 - in reply to #662254)

Scorer

What AV says on Hayes should have absolutely no value. After his crap coaching job this season, he shouldn't have any say in personnel. That's Gorton's biggest problem. He needs to make decisions without his coach's input because his coach consistently didn't put the best lineup on the ice. That started with Hayes and Boyle who he rarely every benched for crap play.
Rranger
Posted 2016-05-07 9:10 AM (#662353 - in reply to #662350)

All-Star

itsmcilrathtime - 2016-05-07 3:59 AM

What AV says on Hayes should have absolutely no value. After his crap coaching job this season, he shouldn't have any say in personnel. That's Gorton's biggest problem. He needs to make decisions without his coach's input because his coach consistently didn't put the best lineup on the ice. That started with Hayes and Boyle who he rarely every benched for crap play.

Letting AV have any say is just asking for another Stralman to Boyle to Yandle disaster. As far as I'm concerned he should be hanging out with, Boudreaux, Hartley, and Cameron.
robstones
Posted 2016-05-07 8:51 PM (#662361 - in reply to #662254)

Legend

Judging Lindberg's surgery, maybe AV would have scratched Hayes more, if Lindberg wasn't having issues.

Boyle didn't play bad this season IMO. The decision was between McIlrath and Girardi.... tough call. It's not easy to bench a 6 million dollar career Ranger with an A on his jersey, no matter how poorly he's playing
Rranger
Posted 2016-05-07 9:35 PM (#662362 - in reply to #662254)

All-Star

I'll be surprised if McIlrath is back next season. It's pretty apparent he's not in Vigneaults plans. I hear you about Boyle and Girardi but they both could have been sat to get McIlrath some more deserved ice time. Especially if Girardi's injuries were affecting his performance.
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2016-05-08 9:25 AM (#662364 - in reply to #662254)

Scorer

McIlrath isn't going anywhere. The organization loves him other than thickhead AV. We saw this with Torts and Kreider and it was Torts who was shown the door. McIlrath being a righty isn't going anywhere. Especially because Girardi sucks now and will be traded at half his salary or bought out and Boyle is gone.
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2016-05-08 9:31 AM (#662366 - in reply to #662254)

Scorer

The first major piece to go will be Nash if Girardi isn't bought out. A lot of what they do will depend on what they get for Nash.
PV29
Posted 2016-05-08 2:32 PM (#662367 - in reply to #662366)

I'd like to see AV use Jesper Fast on the top two lines for the whole season. Power plays too. And AV should scratch McIlrath in favor of Girardi or any other washed up 35+ free agent defenseman that they pick up this summer.

Hopefully moves like that will get AV sent packing, just like those moves should've gotten him fired right after the Rangers were eliminated and embarrassed by the Pens. Good times.
Rranger
Posted 2016-05-08 2:38 PM (#662368 - in reply to #662254)

All-Star

It's obvious dum dum doesn't like McIlrath.
chuckd12
Posted 2016-05-08 4:59 PM (#662372 - in reply to #662254)

Funny how this thread has turned into AV is awful and should be gone per the norm. Good stuff.

Edited by chuckd12 2016-05-08 5:01 PM
Beezer34
Posted 2016-05-08 5:43 PM (#662373 - in reply to #662254)

All-Star

Maybe I am the only one here.. but my panic button is not pushed nearly as much as some and I think there is a decent outlook rather than bad for the next couple years .. and here is my thoughts..

Goal.

Hank is still good.. he had a terrible round but he is still a rock and one of the key reasons as to why the Rangers have a shot at making the play offs every year. He needs to find that play off notch to turn his play up to.. but has been solid. He still has a couple more years left at this level and as such the search for the heir should be on..... but there are a glut of great goalies out there.. Raanta.. who is a solid back up is an example of a third string guy .. or look at Bishop shipped around .. they knew he was good.. but he could not find a home..

Outlook- I do not see any change coming from there.. so it is Hank and Raanta next season

Defense.

The Rangers D has always been a strength since Girardi and Staal were paired together.. those guys are getting older.. but for all of you who complain about Girardi.. you saw what he means to the Rangers.. Hank looked ordinary and the team failed.. I think I build him too far up.. maybe but he is a guy that they certainly missed. The reality is the Rangers have too much money in Girardi, Staal, McDonaugh and Klein.. to add Yandle... there are a LOT of grumblings about moving one of the four and that includes McDonaugh...

I think they would be silly to let Yandle go... The Rangers have been looking for a Leetch type D man since leetch went to the Leafs.. so I think it makes sense to keep him.. and he could and should play bigger minutes.... I think the logical one to move out is Staal. I have never been a big Staal fan I thought he was good.. but not an elite level D man.. I think a D that has Girardi (who is getting old) and McDonaugh (health issues) with Klein and Yandle as a top four is still good... and can compete. (there is some money with Boyle not coming back) I think having McIlraith and Skeji as the third pairing is a great way to add some youth and bring them up... and I would still put that 6 against most NHL D in the league.

Outlook- They are older and not getting younger so an add of a couple D could help take the load off a bit.. adding a solid 7th guy to offset minutes and games would help the Rangers a lot.

Offense.

The Rangers have a terrible offense and have been terrible for years.. they have moments.. but they are inconsistent at best. Nash has been injured over and over again and I think the Rangers have never seen the full Nash for anything more than a month or two.. the time to move on is now.. and if they can sign a Stamkos the time would have to be now. But that would make moving Nash a HAVE to happen as they could not afford him otherwise.

Centre
But Brassard has been a great find in the Gaborik trade and you could not ask much more than what he has given you. Stepan is still in need to put it all together but he has been solid too.. so there are two centres that have the Rangers middle in good hands.. I think Hayes can be a solid centre too.. but I think the Rangers like many teams need a true number one.. I think the Rangers have 2-4 covered.. but they need a number one.. and have needed it ..like the Yandle thing.. for a while. So adding Stamkos again.. could give them the true number one

Left Wing

Assuming Stamkos signs and Nash is traded (who knows what they get in return to get rid of him.. picks I would assume) the Left wing is left to kreider Lindberg and Miller.. none of which I think are right now a number one winger.. but again like the centres.. 2-4 are covered. Fixing this problem will be harder to do given the money they have locked in and the RFA's they need to resign. so I would think they will remain the same three.. unless some how in the Nash/Staal trade they pull a rabbit out of the hat and some how a get a top liner.. and I am not sure a Staal to Edmonton nets them Taylor Hall... Yakapov maybe.. but he is right wing. There best hope is Pavel Buchnevich can come and wow them into being a number one left winger other wise they have a group of second and thirds.

Right Wing

Zuc is a great passer and his heart is as solid as they come..but after him .. you have Fast who is a guy who plays bottom three.. and who else...... I think the right side is far weaker than the left with the 2-3 sorted.. .but no 1 or 4 and with little money to spend I am not sure how either get better.

Outlook

The offence is bad.. and chances are even Stamkos will not be enough to help them. They would need a major over hal of the first line.. well.. sorry they need a first line because the Rangers do not have one.. the only player who has legit first line talent is yet to show up in the play offs and that is Nash. Given the lack of first rounders and legit blue chip prospects added to the lack of cash the Rangers are in trouble .. big .. big trouble. Their offence is decent at best but that is not going to be good enough with an aging defense.and goalie.

Coach

I have never been a fan of AV.. but I think he has done a very solid job. I am not sure the Rangers are much better under another coach and that has little to do with coach and more to do with the talent. This team has a craptacular offense with a solid D and one of the best in net ... and the horses are getting older and you cant beat them as hard. I like the idea of Paul Maclean.. I think you almost do a Maple leaf thing.. grab a GREAT coach and hope the team responds.. but who that coach is ... i am not sure.. I have always been a fan of hitchcock but he is not going anywhere and I am not sure he is the right fit for the players on this team.

Overall out look

This team will be good for the next couple of year but as the old contracts expire.. there is no one in the farm system to fix what is broken.. or falling apart. the Rangers could choose to rebuild from top to bottom now .. trade assets away to get younger.. they have many older assets who teams would fight over.. so they could do that. But it is NYR's style they will keep the lights on and build through trades (think Hayes and Brian Boyle before him.. picking up retreads and breathing new life) they will also try and sign players who are serviceable and cheap (think Anton Stralman and Stralberg) I am not sure this will make them a Stanley Cup team... but then the years of making a legit run have passed it was three or four years ago.

SO I think you are right they have to make the call to pull the shoot and rebuild NOW.. or patch some holes .. try and make a run and then let the wheels fall off in 2 years. I think the latter is more the style.

And I Know I said they are decent.. they are.. they are a team who will be middle or above the road.. they will make the play offs with this line up they may even win a round.. hell it is the NHL .. hank gets hot and they could win a cup.. but that is not the thing I would expect.... there are many teams in the NHL who wish they were the Rangers because they have a lot of really good parts.. but the Rangers time in the sun with this line up .. is fading fast. As I said in 2 years when most of this line up is in the mid thirties it will be too late to move many of them.

Again I might be too much of a fan of the guys here.. but I am also not ready to say trade the lot of them .....

my top three would be Trades... 1. Nash 2. Staal 3. Girardi to make room in the budget and the team

My top three signings would be 1. Stamkos 2. Kopitar 3. Lucic though I would also think about Byfuglien as a potential winger/D man .. Lucic and Byfuglien would make the Rangers are lot harder to play so they might be my one and two in reality to sign them. Thought speaking of reality .. Vrbata and Erickson are more likely UFA's to sign in NYR... as they are a cheaper option.

I think Lucic and Byfuglien along with McIlraith in the line up make the Rangers a vastly tougher team and give them a dimension that has been missing for a long.... hmmm.. not sure the last time the rangers were "tough". anyway I also know the asking price for both is too much.. but nice to dream.

I think the best the Rangers can hope for this off season is Girardi or Staal to Edmonton for Yakapov.. I am not expecting much.. unless some how the Rangers land Jimmy Vessey .. which they might with the amount of US players that have.. but I think it is a two horse race.. Boston or Toronto.. but you never know..

itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2016-05-09 4:02 AM (#662377 - in reply to #662254)

Scorer

You obviously don't understand the salary cap. The Rangers aren't signing anybody unless they dump a lot of salary.
scthockey2294
Posted 2016-05-10 5:41 PM (#662397 - in reply to #662254)

Scorer

Agreed.
The biggest changes will come from inside (the team)
Only way we get new players is through trades & resigning decisions
LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2016-05-11 9:09 PM (#662423 - in reply to #662254)

All-Star

Rangers walking away from Eric Staal & Dom Moore.
Pierre_Pdare
Posted 2016-05-12 2:10 PM (#662435 - in reply to #662254)

MVP

I think Eric Staal will sign with the Devils and that Marc will accept a trade to NJ

Boyle is gone... Nash may agree to a trade. Girardi may agree and that frees up a ton of cap.

Thats $20 + mill in cap

Sign Stamkos ad find a Left winger(Buchnevich) or ufa

I would resign Stalberg for the 4th line

Mandar
Posted 2016-05-12 2:41 PM (#662436 - in reply to #662435)

MVP

Pierre_Pdare - 2016-05-12 4:10 PM

I think Eric Staal will sign with the Devils and that Marc will accept a trade to NJ

Boyle is gone... Nash may agree to a trade. Girardi may agree and that frees up a ton of cap.

Thats $20 + mill in cap

Sign Stamkos ad find a Left winger(Buchnevich) or ufa

I would resign Stalberg for the 4th line

Cant see the Rangers trading with the Devils.........
Mjolnir
Posted 2016-05-12 6:09 PM (#662440 - in reply to #662254)

Legend

Stay away from Stamkos.
Mjolnir
Posted 2016-05-12 6:14 PM (#662441 - in reply to #662373)

Legend

Beezer34 - 2016-05-08 7:43 PM

Defense.

I think they would be silly to let Yandle go... The Rangers have been looking for a Leetch type D man since leetch went to the Leafs.. so I think it makes sense to keep him.. and he could and should play bigger minutes.... I think the logical one to move out is Staal. I have never been a big Staal fan I thought he was good.. but not an elite level D man.. I think a D that has Girardi (who is getting old) and McDonaugh (health issues) with Klein and Yandle as a top four is still good... and can compete. (there is some money with Boyle not coming back) I think having McIlraith and Skeji as the third pairing is a great way to add some youth and bring them up... and I would still put that 6 against most NHL D in the league.

Yandle is nowhere NEAR Leetch-type...Leetch could actually play defense and Yandle is not even close to his offensive ability. As for the bigger minutes, I can guarantee that fans will be calling for his head when the defensive lapses and giveaways increase. Just say no.
Vua
Posted 2016-05-13 5:57 AM (#662446 - in reply to #662441)

All-Star

Mjolnir - 2016-05-12 6:14 PM

Defense.

Yandle is nowhere NEAR Leetch-type...Leetch could actually play defense and Yandle is not even close to his offensive ability. As for the bigger minutes, I can guarantee that fans will be calling for his head when the defensive lapses and giveaways increase. Just say no.

It's obviously better to pay Girardi and Staal to have those defensive lapses with no offensive upside at all. Sorry but he's still one of the top offensive defenseman in the league and better defensively than you give him credit for.
Mjolnir
Posted 2016-05-13 8:25 AM (#662447 - in reply to #662446)

Legend

Vua - 2016-05-13 7:57 AM

Defense.

It's obviously better to pay Girardi and Staal to have those defensive lapses with no offensive upside at all. Sorry but he's still one of the top offensive defenseman in the league and better defensively than you give him credit for.

Who said anything about Girardi and Staal????

I don't know what "defense" you saw Yandle play to give him any kind of defensive credit. Bottom line -- he's not worth $6M a year. Hell, I'd give Roscival $6M before I even considered giving Yandle that much.
Vua
Posted 2016-05-13 10:14 AM (#662453 - in reply to #662447)

All-Star

asdklfjasdk lfjasdklfjlas kdfjklasdjfklasd asdfadfasj dklfh faskdfjasdlf ifsdioufioej eifjopeioiutu89027893y 4meudkshfsdhf9 r89fijoasue

That gibberish I just wrote actually makes more sense than this.

Mjolnir - 2016-05-13 8:25 AM
Hell, I'd give Roscival $6M before I even considered giving Yandle that much.

Mandar, you are needed here.

Edited by Vua 2016-05-13 10:16 AM
Mjolnir
Posted 2016-05-13 11:52 AM (#662461 - in reply to #662453)

Legend

Vua - 2016-05-13 12:14 PM

asdklfjasdk lfjasdklfjlas kdfjklasdjfklasd asdfadfasj dklfh faskdfjasdlf ifsdioufioej eifjopeioiutu89027893y 4meudkshfsdhf9 r89fijoasue

Mandar is not needed....if you knew what I thought of NSR, you'd understand just how much sense it does make.
Beezer34
Posted 2016-05-17 12:50 AM (#662523 - in reply to #662446)

All-Star

Vua - 2016-05-12 9:57 PM

Defense.

I would agree which.. he is running a better offensive side than anyone in a blue shirt SINCE Leetch.. and I did not say he was leetch.. I think he is a good skater.. and passer and plays good enough D .. as you said .. better than he gets credit for.. when I think of the guys they brought in .. boyle.. McCabe (throw Richards in their too) etc to be the quarterback on the PP I think he has done the best job and when he goes the Rangers will spend time trying to get that type player back...
Mjolnir
Posted 2016-05-17 2:01 PM (#662531 - in reply to #662254)

Legend

We must be talking about different players because the Yandle I saw barely played defense -- nowhere near "good enough"
Mandar
Posted 2016-05-17 2:20 PM (#662532 - in reply to #662461)

MVP

Mjolnir - 2016-05-13 1:52 PM

Mandar is not needed....if you knew what I thought of NSR, you'd understand just how much sense it does make.

I'll try not to take that personally.....
Mandar
Posted 2016-05-17 2:21 PM (#662533 - in reply to #662254)

MVP

Yandle reminds me more of Zubov than of Leetch.
Mjolnir
Posted 2016-05-17 2:34 PM (#662534 - in reply to #662532)

Legend

Mandar - 2016-05-17 4:20 PM

Mjolnir - 2016-05-13 1:52 PM

I'll try not to take that personally.....

I should hope not....I'm surprised it took you this long to respond. I'm sure Satan is freezing his butt off after what I said.
ej17
Posted 2016-05-17 3:09 PM (#662535 - in reply to #662533)

All-Star

Mandar - 2016-05-17 4:21 PM

Yandle reminds me more of Zubov than of Leetch.

Sorry Yandle is not anywhere near Zubov..

Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... >
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2018 PD9 Software