Home Page
 OTG

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Offseason Predictions & Thoughts
[Frozen]

Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... >
Now viewing page 3 [35 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Frozen    Rangers -> Winter Is ComingMessage format

robstones
Posted 2016-05-23 4:55 PM (#662595 - in reply to #662591)
Subject: Re: Offseason Predictions & Thoughts

Legend

Mandar - 2016-05-23 2:05 PM

robstones - 2016-05-23 9:59 AM

Mjolnir - 2016-05-23 9:37 AM

I didn't say he was bad -- I said he was a defensive liability. Since seeing isn't believing, try reading some of the numerous sports writers....you sell that the majority of them say the same thing.

Right. I never said Yandle was bad either.

My case is that I'd rather have Yandle than Staal. I'm also saying I'd rather spend the 5-6 million that it would likely take to sign Yandle on someone like the rumored Shattenkirk or. I'm sayin the McDonagh and Skjei should be definites on the left side next season, and Staal nor Yandle nor anyone else should prevent Skjei from cracking the lineup.

I'm saying that we need players who can put the puck in the net, and though Yandle is good at setting the play up, leading the rush, and finding the open man... he doesn't put the puck in the net. Because of that, his offense isn't as prolific as you would think when dishing out the label "offensive defenseman." As wonderful as over 40 assists is... 5 goals is nothing. So am I willing to pay top dollar for a defenseman who isn't great at defense, and only real offensive attribute is letting other players score? Not if I'm GM.

I'm not against having Yandle on this team, though. He IS a good player. There just aren't many scenarios I can think of that make him affordable. I also think he will be over paid, which is what it's always been whenever we overpay.

Just out of curiosity...and all I want is your opinion.....would you rather have a defenseman that scores 15 goals and has 20 assists....or a defenseman that scores 5 goals and 40 assists?

Aaron Ekblad or Keith Yandle? I choose Ekblad
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mandar
Posted 2016-05-23 7:55 PM (#662596 - in reply to #662595)

MVP

robstones - 2016-05-23 6:55 PM

I didn't say he was bad -- I said he was a defensive liability. Since seeing isn't believing, try reading some of the numerous sports writers....you sell that the majority of them say the same thing.

My case is that I'd rather have Yandle than Staal. I'm also saying I'd rather spend the 5-6 million that it would likely take to sign Yandle on someone like the rumored Shattenkirk or. I'm sayin the McDonagh and Skjei should be definites on the left side next season, and Staal nor Yandle nor anyone else should prevent Skjei from cracking the lineup.

I'm saying that we need players who can put the puck in the net, and though Yandle is good at setting the play up, leading the rush, and finding the open man... he doesn't put the puck in the net. Because of that, his offense isn't as prolific as you would think when dishing out the label "offensive defenseman." As wonderful as over 40 assists is... 5 goals is nothing. So am I willing to pay top dollar for a defenseman who isn't great at defense, and only real offensive attribute is letting other players score? Not if I'm GM.

I'm not against having Yandle on this team, though. He IS a good player. There just aren't many scenarios I can think of that make him affordable. I also think he will be over paid, which is what it's always been whenever we overpay.

Just out of curiosity...and all I want is your opinion.....would you rather have a defenseman that scores 15 goals and has 20 assists....or a defenseman that scores 5 goals and 40 assists?

Aren't you special....

I didn't ask for names....I asked which described defenseman as I noted would you rather have. Simple question to understand I think, right?
LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2016-05-24 11:49 AM (#662607 - in reply to #662254)

All-Star

https://www.nhl.com/video/nhl-live-rangers-possible-trade/t-27777470...
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2016-05-24 3:21 PM (#662608 - in reply to #662254)

Scorer

I think they eat 2.3 and make him available at 5.5 cap hit and they can get a mid to late first rounder with a good prospect.
robstones
Posted 2016-05-24 3:30 PM (#662609 - in reply to #662596)

Legend

Mandar - 2016-05-23 9:55 PM

Aren't you special....

I didn't ask for names....I asked which described defenseman as I noted would you rather have. Simple question to understand I think, right?

No, it's not. If we're solely looking at stats, I guess I choose the one who produced more offense, or the guy with the most points...

But.... unless you're way more special than I... you know there is a lot more to a player than just stats.... Aaron Ekblad was the only one who fit the description of 15 goals 20 assists (ok ok he had 21) so if we're using Keith Yandle as the example for a 5 goal 40 assist defenseman, we can certainly use Ekblad for the 15 goal scorer....

I choose Ekblad
Beezer34
Posted 2016-05-24 7:45 PM (#662610 - in reply to #662254)

All-Star

I know this will add to the "Crazy Talk"... but Prust .. UFA.. coming of a 2.5 million contract.... do the rangers add him and try and capture some of the past magic... (some may say then resign Avery while you are at it. ) But just curious the reaction.. I am also guessing not at 2.5 million.. they could not afford that for him
Beezer34
Posted 2016-05-24 7:50 PM (#662611 - in reply to #662607)

All-Star

I read this rumour and thought it was (long overdue) interesting... The talk is moving him means that they are AUTOMATICALLY in the running for Stamkos which is typical NYR... I am not a fan of these massive contracts for decades.. and I am not sure Stamkos will look to take less money to play in NYR ..

If they trade him so they can restock and resign players then I am cool.. if it is just to make room for the next over priced superstar... then why bother..

How many Gaborik-Drury-Redden-Nash- Gomez- Holik-Kasperitis-and now Stamkos do the Rangers need to get to forget when they drafted guys like Callahan and Dubinsky and hank and Staal they were better off..

this quick fix for an aging team .. might not be what is needed.. but an eye to the future is better. but no pics in 5 years... hard to restock..
Mandar
Posted 2016-05-25 7:38 AM (#662612 - in reply to #662609)

MVP

robstones - 2016-05-24 5:30 PM

Aren't you special....

No, it's not. If we're solely looking at stats, I guess I choose the one who produced more offense, or the guy with the most points...

But.... unless you're way more special than I... you know there is a lot more to a player than just stats.... Aaron Ekblad was the only one who fit the description of 15 goals 20 assists (ok ok he had 21) so if we're using Keith Yandle as the example for a 5 goal 40 assist defenseman, we can certainly use Ekblad for the 15 goal scorer....

I choose Ekblad

Yes, we are aware of your love of Ekblad.

I refer you to your own words "I'm saying that we need players who can put the puck in the net, and though Yandle is good at setting the play up, leading the rush, and finding the open man... he doesn't put the puck in the net. Because of that, his offense isn't as prolific as you would think when dishing out the label "offensive defenseman." You want guys who "put the puck in the net"....and you apply that desire to defensemen (a strange standard to hold them to)....and seemingly you disregard the fact that getting many assists would make a defenseman "offensive" as well (Concust can get you all the fancy assist stats you desire).

In my opinion, an offensive defenseman is a player who generates offense. Yes, it would be nice to get the player that dominates both in goals and assists (very few defenseman do that)....but whether the player is scoring or setting up goals, isn't the point that the player is generating offense?

But yes, we know that you choose Ekblad.
robstones
Posted 2016-05-25 10:22 AM (#662613 - in reply to #662612)

Legend

Mandar - 2016-05-25 9:38 AM

Aren't you special....

I choose Ekblad

I refer you to your own words "I'm saying that we need players who can put the puck in the net, and though Yandle is good at setting the play up, leading the rush, and finding the open man... he doesn't put the puck in the net. Because of that, his offense isn't as prolific as you would think when dishing out the label "offensive defenseman." You want guys who "put the puck in the net"....and you apply that desire to defensemen (a strange standard to hold them to)....and seemingly you disregard the fact that getting many assists would make a defenseman "offensive" as well (Concust can get you all the fancy assist stats you desire).

In my opinion, an offensive defenseman is a player who generates offense. Yes, it would be nice to get the player that dominates both in goals and assists (very few defenseman do that)....but whether the player is scoring or setting up goals, isn't the point that the player is generating offense?

It is. And it's why I said if you are looking at JUST point totals, Yandle would look like the better player. So, you could make the case that Yandle had a better offensive year than Ekblad..... but there's more to Yandle than just the offense that he generates... as good as secondary assists are, there's more to hockey than that.

We can not and should not just look at stats, that's ridiculous. Your arguement is ridiculous. What player would you choose based on a basic stat line? Dumb

Vua
Posted 2016-05-25 11:07 AM (#662614 - in reply to #662613)

All-Star

robstones - 2016-05-25 10:22 AM

Mandar - 2016-05-25 9:38 AM

Aren't you special....

I choose Ekblad

It is. And it's why I said if you are looking at JUST point totals, Yandle would look like the better player. So, you could make the case that Yandle had a better offensive year than Ekblad..... but there's more to Yandle than just the offense that he generates... as good as secondary assists are, there's more to hockey than that.

We can not and should not just look at stats, that's ridiculous. Your arguement is ridiculous. What player would you choose based on a basic stat line? Dumb

There are a lot of stats out there you can use, but confirmation bias is the way to go for sure.

Edited by Vua 2016-05-25 11:09 AM
Mandar
Posted 2016-05-25 2:19 PM (#662617 - in reply to #662613)

MVP

robstones - 2016-05-25 12:22 PM

First of all, YOU brought up Ekblad for some reason (now we know your love for him, so its all good Robbie). And you really haven't seen my point....you were basing your convoluted assessment that Yandle was somehow lacking because he got a lot of assists and not goals, thus he isn't "prolific" enough for you offensively. NOW....you bring up he had lots of secondary assists....as if to dismiss even the assists.

And you are saying I am making an argument when I really am not....just pointing out what an offensive defenseman is (as opposed to your "not enough goals" thingy). One thing though....when assessing if a player is an offensive defenseman or not....if we don't look at stats....how would you tell if a defenseman is characterized as "offensive"? By height?

And again, yes...we know.....you choose Ekblad.
robstones
Posted 2016-05-25 2:28 PM (#662618 - in reply to #662617)

Legend

Mandar - 2016-05-25 4:19 PM

First of all, YOU brought up Ekblad for some reason (now we know your love for him, so its all good Robbie). And you really haven't seen my point....you were basing your convoluted assessment that Yandle was somehow lacking because he got a lot of assists and not goals, thus he isn't "prolific" enough for you offensively. NOW....you bring up he had lots of secondary assists....as if to dismiss even the assists.

And you are saying I am making an argument when I really am not....just pointing out what an offensive defenseman is (as opposed to your "not enough goals" thingy). One thing though....when assessing if a player is an offensive defenseman or not....if we don't look at stats....how would you tell if a defenseman is characterized as "offensive"? By height?

For some reason? I did it because he's the only NHL defenseman that had the stats this season that YOU described (15g 20a).... I didn't want to play your game of looking at solely goals and assists.... but I DID say if we were to base it purely on stats, that you would assume the one with more points is the better offensive threat....

It goes to show, though, that stats don't tell the whole story. Ekblad is the better player. He's the more complete package.

So, your question was whether I wanted the 5g 40a player (clearly you were refering to Yandle) or 15g 20a player..... and since Ekblad is the only one who fits the bill, I mentioned him. You can spin that however you want, but I think I'm proving a point. Ekblad is the better player in spite of the lower point totals.
Mandar
Posted 2016-05-25 2:53 PM (#662619 - in reply to #662618)

MVP

robstones - 2016-05-25 4:28 PM

Mandar - 2016-05-25 4:19 PM

For some reason? I did it because he's the only NHL defenseman that had the stats this season that YOU described (15g 20a).... I didn't want to play your game of looking at solely goals and assists.... but I DID say if we were to base it purely on stats, that you would assume the one with more points is the better offensive threat....

It goes to show, though, that stats don't tell the whole story. Ekblad is the better player. He's the more complete package.

So, your question was whether I wanted the 5g 40a player (clearly you were refering to Yandle) or 15g 20a player..... and since Ekblad is the only one who fits the bill, I mentioned him. You can spin that however you want, but I think I'm proving a point. Ekblad is the better player in spite of the lower point totals.

Again....just confirms that you have no understanding what I was asking....if I wanted to compare actual players....I would have said the actual players names. I had no idea what precious Ekblad's stats were....that was just a coincidence (although it brought out your love for him). I just threw out the stats to make a point.....you prefer the goals (which would mean you probably consider Klein an offensive defenseman), and somehow you deem value in some sort of "prolific" terms. That, and of course Yandle's prolific amounts of "secondary assists".

And just to be clear.....given the choice of both players right now, of course the preference is Ekblad....but that wasn't the point.

"I don't always choose defenseman....but when I do....I choose Ekblad "
robstones
Posted 2016-05-25 5:32 PM (#662620 - in reply to #662254)

Legend

Oh.... so when you chose the other figure of 5 goals and 40 assists, you WEREN'T refering to Yandle???
LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2016-05-26 6:02 AM (#662627 - in reply to #662254)

All-Star

http://nypost.com/2016/05/25/you-might-not-recognize-anyone-on-the-...
scthockey2294
Posted 2016-05-26 9:21 AM (#662628 - in reply to #662254)

Scorer

I have a bad feeling next year we are looking at Mac,G,Staal,Klein as our top 4
Skjei will be 4-6
LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2016-05-26 11:27 AM (#662629 - in reply to #662254)

All-Star

This may get interesting:
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/report-rangers-willing-to-part-wi...
Mjolnir
Posted 2016-05-26 2:01 PM (#662633 - in reply to #662629)

Legend

LeetchyMrRanger - 2016-05-26 1:27 PM

This may get interesting:
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/report-rangers-willing-to-part-wi...

Nothing new here...the article basically summarizes what Brooks wrote.
PV29
Posted 2016-05-26 2:47 PM (#662634 - in reply to #662628)

scthockey2294 - 2016-05-26 11:21 AM

Skjei will be 4-6

Possibly disastrous if Ulfie the Flop-Slider is still defensemen coach. Schoenfeld or someone similar could make this work.
Mjolnir
Posted 2016-05-26 5:05 PM (#662638 - in reply to #662254)

Legend

As you may have noticed, PV, Schoeny is keeping under the radar.
scthockey2294
Posted 2016-05-26 5:10 PM (#662639 - in reply to #662634)

Scorer

PV29 - 2016-05-26 2:47 PM

Skjei will be 4-6

Possibly disastrous if Ulfie the Flop-Slider is still defensemen coach. Schoenfeld or someone similar could make this work.

AGREED letting players play to their strengths can go a long way

Let G be a 2nd 3rd line shutdown dman, same with staal
let MacD stay on the first with Klein
let Skjei run with G & Staal with Mcilrath as the 3rd pair

Klein has a great shot, why not run:
Mac
Klein
Skjei
G
Staal
Mcilrath

*insert puck moving #7 here (Diaz?)

Edited by scthockey2294 2016-05-26 5:11 PM
Vua
Posted 2016-05-26 5:38 PM (#662640 - in reply to #662639)

All-Star

scthockey2294 - 2016-05-26 5:10 PM

PV29 - 2016-05-26 2:47 PM

Skjei will be 4-6

AGREED letting players play to their strengths can go a long way

Let G be a 2nd 3rd line shutdown dman, same with staal
let MacD stay on the first with Klein
let Skjei run with G & Staal with Mcilrath as the 3rd pair

Klein has a great shot, why not run:
Mac
Klein
Skjei
G
Staal
Mcilrath

*insert puck moving #7 here (Diaz?)

Well at least our first 1st round pick in half a decade should be pretty good.
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2016-05-27 3:30 AM (#662645 - in reply to #662254)

Scorer

I've been thinking about dealing McDonagh for months. Like I said. The 4th pick in the draft and RNH, done deal. It's a deal both teams would have to make. Getting RNH then frees the Rangers up to deal Stepan to Minnesota. History has shown players from Minnesota want to go back there most of the time and the Wild will overpay to get them. A first, Tuch and Zucker would be a fair and nice return for Stepan. Then you can look at a Nash deal to bring in a young defenseman.
concust
Posted 2016-05-27 9:44 AM (#662649 - in reply to #662612)

Legend

Mandar - 2016-05-25 8:38 AM
.and seemingly you disregard the fact that getting many assists would make a defenseman "offensive" as well (Concust can get you all the fancy assist stats you desire).

Too bad I didn't track it this year, this whole secondary assists vs primary assists debate is exactly the kind of insight ESS would have helped us with.
Mandar
Posted 2016-05-27 10:20 AM (#662651 - in reply to #662649)

MVP

concust - 2016-05-27 11:44 AM

Mandar - 2016-05-25 8:38 AM
.and seemingly you disregard the fact that getting many assists would make a defenseman "offensive" as well (Concust can get you all the fancy assist stats you desire).

Too bad I didn't track it this year, this whole secondary assists vs primary assists debate is exactly the kind of insight ESS would have helped us with.

ooooohhhh...I knew you would chime in with that,

NTHockey
Posted 2016-05-28 9:36 AM (#662656 - in reply to #662645)

All-Star

itsmcilrathtime - 2016-05-27 5:30 AM

I've been thinking about dealing McDonagh for months. Like I said. The 4th pick in the draft and RNH, done deal. It's a deal both teams would have to make. Getting RNH then frees the Rangers up to deal Stepan to Minnesota. History has shown players from Minnesota want to go back there most of the time and the Wild will overpay to get them. A first, Tuch and Zucker would be a fair and nice return for Stepan. Then you can look at a Nash deal to bring in a young defenseman.

The best we can hope for in Nash is Carolina will trade away some of their 20 picks. A 2nd and a 3rd is realistic. Add agood prospect and it's a steal.
concust
Posted 2016-05-29 8:45 AM (#662657 - in reply to #662656)

Legend

NTHockey - 2016-05-28 10:36 AM

The best we can hope for in Nash is Carolina will trade away some of their 20 picks. A 2nd and a 3rd is realistic. Add agood prospect and it's a steal.

Nash and Eric Staal for Saarela and two second round picks
Mjolnir
Posted 2016-05-29 12:00 PM (#662660 - in reply to #662657)

Legend

concust - 2016-05-29 10:45 AM

You've got my attention: tell me how you manage to trade an unrestricted free agent?
concust
Posted 2016-05-29 2:05 PM (#662661 - in reply to #662254)

Legend

We retain his rights until July 1. Throw him in. Simple as that. Carolina gets exclusive right to negotiate with their lost captain, who surely has a soft spot for the franchise he won a Cup with, and the city his family still calls home. Now that the New York experiment has failed, where else would he go? If he goes to a top contender because he wants to win, he'll have to deal with a third or fourth line role, and money to match. The two places most likely to overpay him are NY and Carolina so at this point I'm betting he resigns there (regardless of the calendar date)

Maybe he'll test unrestricted free agency but I don't think he will like what he finds.

Vua
Posted 2016-05-29 4:49 PM (#662662 - in reply to #662660)

All-Star

Mjolnir - 2016-05-29 12:00 PM

concust - 2016-05-29 10:45 AM

You've got my attention: tell me how you manage to trade an unrestricted free agent?

Sorry but almost every season someone is traded that is about to be an UFA. The team that trades for that player gets exclusive negotiating rights until free agency hits. It's usually not worth much though, a 4th or 5th round pick is about it.
Mjolnir
Posted 2016-05-29 9:16 PM (#662663 - in reply to #662254)

Legend

I don't see Carolina trading for "bargaining rights" for a player the just dumped. The other problem with that is the fact that Nash still has full no trade/movement clause. His "list" isn't valid until July 1.
Vua
Posted 2016-05-31 8:48 AM (#662669 - in reply to #662663)

All-Star

Mjolnir - 2016-05-29 9:16 PM

I don't see Carolina trading for "bargaining rights" for a player the just dumped. The other problem with that is the fact that Nash still has full no trade/movement clause. His "list" isn't valid until July 1.

Well neither do I. I can imagine Yandle getting traded to maybe Boston for a 5th rounder but that's about it.
scthockey2294
Posted 2016-05-31 9:38 AM (#662672 - in reply to #662669)

Scorer

Vua - 2016-05-31 8:48 AM

Mjolnir - 2016-05-29 9:16 PM

Well neither do I. I can imagine Yandle getting traded to maybe Boston for a 5th rounder but that's about it.

Yandle to Boston? That would suck
I find great joy watching Boston suck, I don't like Krug and Yandle as a possible pair on the PP
RANGERNUT
Posted 2016-06-01 12:47 PM (#662690 - in reply to #662254)

All-Star

Interest in Nash some say ....Where there is smoke there is fire... Usually ....

https://www.sny.tv/rangers/news/there-is-a-lot-of-smoke-around-the-r...

scthockey2294
Posted 2016-06-01 5:08 PM (#662692 - in reply to #662254)

Scorer

I'm gonna laugh when AV gets his way & this team goes deeper in the ****ter
Watch!

Fast is gonna be top 9
Girardi, Staal top 4
Mcilrath gone
Stepan traded
Lindberg or Hayes traded

I'm gonna expect the worst & hope to be pleasantly surprised

They should rebuild by shipping their ridiculous contracts other than Hank and focus on skill, grit & size/speed (ratio)
Nash, G, Staal should all be gone but only Nash will be gone
Stepan to Minny is gaining steam like we all know, but who takes over line 1/2 center spot?

I don't want it, but does Mcdonaugh get moved to EDM for RNH & their 1 or 2?
This team is going to be shook up in many ways & I do not think it is going to be the right way

They ship off Mcd, Mcilrath to keep G & Staal?

If they have a brain they will give Mcilrath a cheap 2 year bridge to take over for G or Staal
Keep & build on Mcdonaugh, Klein, Skjei, Mcilrath (THEY WON'T)

One thing will be interesting...how much do we get for Nash? I think
he is GONE

Edited by scthockey2294 2016-06-01 5:24 PM
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... >
Now viewing page 3 [35 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)