Home Page
 OTG

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Kovalchuk wants to return to NHL
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Rangers -> Winter Is ComingMessage format

RANGERNUT
Posted 2017-05-09 12:27 PM (#675481)
Subject: Kovalchuk wants to return to NHL

All-Star

Kovalchuk wants to return to NHL, can talk to other teams about deal

11:30AM 5/9/17

I can see the Rangers making a move for Kovalchuk, especially if they lose tonight...yep... you heard it here !

(AP)

Ilya Kovalchuk wants to return to the NHL next season, and the Devils have given him and his agent permission to seek a deal with other teams, according to Pierre LeBrun of TSN.

New Jersey still holds the forward's rights as Kovalchuk left the NHL in the middle of his contract with the Devils.

LeBrun writes that Devils GM Ray Shero confirmed with Kovalchuk's agent, Jay Grossman, that the 34-year old definitely wants to return to the NHL next season.

Shero told Grossman he is free to speak to other teams about a potential deal for the veteran, as the Devils are not opposed to doing a sign-and-trade for Kovalchuk. However, the deal must make sense for New Jersey.

Kovalchuk cannot sign an NHL contract until July 1.

In 60 games in the KHL last season, Kovalchuk looked fantastic, scoring 32 goals and 78 points in just 60 games.

He last played in the NHL in 2012-2013 with New Jersey, where he finished with 11 goals and 31 points in 37 games.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Blue404
Posted 2017-05-10 4:12 PM (#675952 - in reply to #675481)
Subject: Re: Kovalchuk wants to return to NHL

Legend

NO!!!!!
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-05-10 4:49 PM (#675953 - in reply to #675481)

All-Star

Hell No!
mpcelo45
Posted 2017-05-11 5:53 AM (#675989 - in reply to #675481)

All-Star

Why are people opposed to having one of the most dangerous snipers in recent history?

I would love to have another dangerous scorer (pending what NJ wants in return). Also can discuss a 1-2 year deal, not to mention he would be able to work with Buchenevich.

I know everyone is going to say work on getting a better dman.....who is out there? Shattenkirk? Is he the answer?

The Rangers have done a pretty decent job in developing defensemen.....time to see what Graves has and possibly challenge a spot in training camp.

Edited by mpcelo45 2017-05-11 5:59 AM
concust
Posted 2017-05-11 7:13 AM (#675995 - in reply to #675481)

Legend

I'm not opposed to having him, I'm opposed to paying the price necessary to get him.

It'll be a young player and a high draft pick, which is much more important to the Rangers long term forecast than a sniper is a need. Did you really think (lack of) offense was the problem last year?

LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2017-05-11 7:13 AM (#675996 - in reply to #675481)

Scorer

It is not that simple, Devs still hold his rights. There are some rules when some one retires voluntarily, but I understand the team still holds rights.
mpcelo45
Posted 2017-05-11 7:23 AM (#675999 - in reply to #675481)

All-Star

I dont think a lack of offense was the problem this year, but the fact remains that we had no one that was a "legit" scoring threat on our team. You put a Kovalchuk out on the ice and immediately you have the attention of teams top pairings, which will open up the ice for the remaining 3 lines. I am sure if there was a Kovy on the ice during the last playoff the scores would have been alot different.

Again this is all pending what NJ would want in return and how many years he is expecting.
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-05-11 7:30 AM (#676001 - in reply to #675481)

All-Star

Kovalchuck is 34 with bad knees and is an obvious headcase...Hell No!
concust
Posted 2017-05-13 6:42 AM (#676127 - in reply to #675996)

Legend

LeetchyMrRanger - 2017-05-11 8:13 AM

It is not that simple, Devs still hold his rights. There are some rules when some one retires voluntarily, but I understand the team still holds rights.

Devils hold his rights, it would be a sign-and-trade sort of scenario, all of it would be worked out by Kovy's agent, the Devils, and the third team ahead of time. Kovy gets to come back to the team of his choice, Devils get assets they didn't previously have, third team gets their player at the contract terms they agree to. Everyone is happy.
Rangerjunkie
Posted 2017-05-13 8:17 AM (#676128 - in reply to #675481)

All-Star

He would probably help the PP
LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2017-05-13 8:19 AM (#676129 - in reply to #675481)

Scorer

That sounds about right. I wouldn't give up all that much, & the contract all performance based, 20 goals, 30 goals, etc... 1 rnd playoffs, 2nd, etc... That's the only way they should even consider it otherwise there are 31 other teams or make your $$$ over there.
RANGERNUT
Posted 2017-05-30 5:13 AM (#676363 - in reply to #675481)

All-Star

Ilya Kovalchuk reportedly has had interest in joining the Rangers
May 29 | 2:02PM

5/29/17 | 1:58PM: Elliotte Friedman was on the radio in Calgary today and was asked about Kovalchuk. (FanRag)

He said, again, that he has heard that Kovalchuk wants to come to the Rangers but added"I don't think the Rangers are going to do it." (FanRag)

5/16/17 | Elliotte Friedman cites Russian Sources who believe that Ilya Kovalchuk has had "serious interest" in joining the Rangers as part of his comeback to the NHL. (Sportsnet)

Friedman notes that he isn't sure of the Rangers interest in Kovalchuk and also notes that even if they did have interest they would need to work out a trade with the Devils. (Sportsnet)

Reports have indicated that Kovalchuk would like to stay in the NYC area or possibly in Florida and that his family will be a major factor in determining where he plays. (Malamud)

Kovalchuk is planning to return to the NHL and will can either play for the Devils or signed and then traded to another team. (NY Post)

The Rangers and Devils have never made a trade since the Devils moved from Colorado to New Jersey.

The Colorado Rockies traded Barry Beck to the Rangers in 1979 for Bobby Sheehan, Lucien Deblois, Pat Hickey, Mike McEwen and Dean Turner.

Friedman wonders if the Islanders would have interest and notes that the Panthers may have inquired about Kovalchuk. (Sportsnet)

Kovalchuk was teammates with Pavel Buchnevich after Buchnevich was traded to SKA in 2015-16 and was teammates with Igor Shesterkin in SKA this past season when they won the Gagarin Cup.

It's believed that when Kovalchuk was a free agent in 2010 that he wanted to join the Rangers.

Adam Rotter: I would say that this has a nearly 0% chance of happening for a few different reasons but mostly because the Devils, who need scoring, aren't going to trade one of their potential top scorers to the Rangers. Kovalchuk can have his say on where he wants to go but it's the Devils who ultimately have to agree to a trade with that team and I just don't see Ray Shero connecting with Jeff Gorton on this. The Islanders seemingly make sense as they have looked for a forward to pair with John Tavares, and the Isle and Devils have made trades before, but would the Devils really move him in the division?
RANGERNUT
Posted 2017-06-06 8:35 AM (#676426 - in reply to #675481)

All-Star

Should the Rangers be interested in Ilya Kovalchuk?

8:51AM 6/6/17

Larry Brooks wrote in Sunday's New York Post that it should be a "no-brainer" for GM Jeff Gorton to go after Ilya Kovalchuk, depending on the price, because of his "game-breaking ability" and history as a PP QB. (NY Post)

http://nypost.com/2017/06/04/could-devils-get-best-return-from-rang...

Brooks says that the Devils and Ray Shero can't overplay their hand with Kovalchuk, 34, as an asset because if he decides to stay in Russia for another season then he can be a UFA next summer. (NY Post)

He says that players like Brady Skjei, Chris Kreider, KT Miller, Kevin Hayes, Jimmy Vesey and Pavel Buchnevich would all be "off the table," that Derek Stepan wouldn't get moved for him and that Rick Nash makes no sense for New Jersey. (NY Post)

Brooks does note that if the Rangers were to move on Kovalchuk then they would likely have to move Nash and his cap hit to make the salary for Kovalchuk fit. (NY Post)

He lists Oscar Lindberg as someone who could be a top-six fit in New Jersey and says that Nick Holden could be added to the mix for a potential trade. (NY Post)

Brooks tweeted on Monday that Columbus has reportedly inquired about Kovalchuk.

Adam Rotter: I think that the Rangers have a level of interest in Kovalchuk the way that they would have an interest in most any talented player. He's probably coming back to the NHL as a better player than Alex Radulov did but that also means likely a higher cap hit and a commitment of more than one-year. I don't think either of those things suit the Rangers, especially with the depth they have up front and the fact that they probably would like their own Russian, Pavel Buchnevich, to assume the kind of role that Kovalchuk would take. None of that even takes into account that I don't think the Devils would trade Kovalchuk to the Rangers, which makes it all a moot point, but even if the two sides did somehow work out a trade, the Rangers would still need to sign Kovalchuk to a contract and I don't know if their would be a match there.

Edited by RANGERNUT 2017-06-06 8:40 AM
concust
Posted 2017-06-06 10:55 AM (#676428 - in reply to #675481)

Legend

Brooks just needs to fill column inches just like the Rangers have to do due dilligence on a Kovy deal. Lindberg and Holden as the centerpieces for the trade? And then you have to move Nash, who's been a very good soldier for NYR? It makes no sense. This is Larry Brooks circa 2002.

Rangerjunkie
Posted 2017-06-06 11:09 AM (#676429 - in reply to #676428)

All-Star

concust - 2017-06-06 10:55 AM

Brooks just needs to fill column inches just like the Rangers have to do due dilligence on a Kovy deal. Lindberg and Holden as the centerpieces for the trade? And then you have to move Nash, who's been a very good soldier for NYR? It makes no sense. This is Larry Brooks circa 2002.

I agree. Brooks is writing just to write! I really do not want to lose Lindberg, unless he's part of a package that brings back a stud defenseman!
Mjolnir
Posted 2017-06-06 12:20 PM (#676430 - in reply to #676429)

Legend

Wow...I can feel the hate dripping from those posts.

Brooks is not writing anything new or (as so many of you love to claim) making stuff up. This has already been speculated and reported in the Canadian media.
concust
Posted 2017-06-06 4:34 PM (#676431 - in reply to #675481)

Legend

I don't think he's making things up in order to deceive maliciously, as if he claimed he had a "source" or anything, but it's clear to me he's just throwing **** and names against the wall to see if any of it would stick. It's much less thought out "if you did his, then you could trade for xxxx" and more just throwing names out there for the sake of writing a column. I'm not really holding it against him as it's the offseason but none of what he wrote even makes any sense realistically. It's not like he cane up with a trade proposal that would actually benefit both teams and then who knows if it would happen. It's a column, not a report, so he can do anything he wants, but all this really does is make people start to think a Holden and Lindberg trade for Kovalchuk might be possible.
Mjolnir
Posted 2017-06-06 5:18 PM (#676432 - in reply to #676431)

Legend

As I stated, those are not names he's come up with....they are names that have been bandied around by the Canadian media already. Most, if not all, of his "Slapshots" stuff comes from other media sources or writers. Remember, speculation on where Kovalchuk could wind up has been a topic of discussion in Canada for a full month now.

Going further, he's not just pulling names out of a hat. As reported in this article (written almost three weeks ago):

http://blueseatblogs.com/2017/05/18/breaking-ilya-kovalchuk-rumors/

The forwards most likely to be lost by the Rangers are Lindbergh, Fast or Grabner. Now that Fast is off the list, we're down to two. It would certainly make sense to try and minimize the damage by trading one (note the recent talk of trading Raanta).

Now, would I trade Lindberg for Kovalchuk -- not in this or any other lifetime. The only questionable part of Brooks' story is the addition of Holden....that's enough to drive any GM to say "No thanks!!!"

Edited by Mjolnir 2017-06-06 7:38 PM
concust
Posted 2017-06-07 7:42 AM (#676444 - in reply to #675481)

Legend

Just because Fast is injured doesn't mean he won't be taken. He's due back in early November. If the Knights have targeted him as the player they want from the Rangers, they aren't going to settle for one of the others just because Fast would be out an additional month.
Mjolnir
Posted 2017-06-07 8:27 AM (#676445 - in reply to #676444)

Legend

concust - 2017-06-07 9:42 AM

Just because Fast is injured doesn't mean he won't be taken. He's due back in early November. If the Knights have targeted him as the player they want from the Rangers, they aren't going to settle for one of the others just because Fast would be out an additional month.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assumed you cannot not place an injured player on the eligible list.
sureshore
Posted 2017-06-08 11:19 AM (#676447 - in reply to #676445)

All-Star

Mjolnir - 2017-06-07 10:27 AM

concust - 2017-06-07 9:42 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assumed you cannot not place an injured player on the eligible list.

Fast can be exposed in the draft. Only rule mentioning injury is the following:

Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a club's player exposure requirements, unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection by the League
concust
Posted 2017-06-10 6:30 AM (#676462 - in reply to #675481)

Legend

It will be Fast or Lindberg IMO. Hoping it's Fast.

They aren't winning the Cup next year, they're looking to build long term. I think that precludes a 30 year old Grabner or a 28 year old Raanta. I think they will target one of the 25 year old forwards the Rangers have to offer up, they can get a good 5 or more years' worth of work out of them.

robstones
Posted 2017-06-10 10:52 AM (#676463 - in reply to #675481)

Legend

Fast will miss the start of the season. His injury may give the edge to Lindberg on Vegas' list.... I don't want it to be so either, but I think Lindberg is the guy to go.... unless The Rangers don't protect Stepan
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software