Home Page
 OTG

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Are big changes coming to the Rangers roster?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Rangers -> Winter Is ComingMessage format

RANGERNUT
Posted 2017-05-11 6:18 AM (#675990)
Subject: Are big changes coming to the Rangers roster?

All-Star

Larry Brooks writes in the NY Post that changes will be made to the Rangers this offseason and that their loss in Game 6 "all but certainly will mark the end of the core group" of Rangers.

Brooks lists the "core group" as Henrik Lundqvist, Dan Girardi, Marc Staal, Ryan McDonagh and Derek Stepan along with Chris Kreider, Rick Nash and Mats Zuccarello. (NY Post)
•Alain Vigneault said last year that there would be changes made but wasn't sure if there would be big changes.
•The Rangers focused last summer on getting younger.

Brooks wrote last year that the 2016 playoff run would be the last for this core group.

Kevin Allen writes at USA Today that "significant changes to the roster" are likely to come.

Allen writes that things with the Rangers have grown "stale" and that Jeff Gorton will need to "overhaul" a defense that needs "considerable work."

He adds that it will be a "managerial challenge" to move Marc Staal or Dan Girardi but that the Rangers need a "new look" on defense.

Last summer, prior to the Derick Brassard trade, Larry Brooks wrote "The Rangers' core has been at the heart of a five-season run of notable success. But at its best, it was not good enough to win the Stanley Cup. So why would anyone think this same group can be good enough to win this year? The mix inside the room became as stale as the team was on the ice. The longer summer alone is not going to be sufficient to address that issue." (NY Post)

Adam Rotter: When the Rangers season ended last year in Pittsburgh, big changes were what was expected. 2016 was supposed to be the last ride for this group of core players but they all ended up returning, minus Derick Brassard, for this run. I do think that most of this years team will return next year, especially up front, but the player(s) who don't return will likely be longtime Rangers who have been with this team since John Tortorella was coach. At some point you need to cut ties with certain players to move on, get better and provide opportunities for different players, but how the Rangers go about making those changes and what, if anything, they get in return is all still up in the air.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
RANGERNUT
Posted 2017-05-11 6:34 AM (#675992 - in reply to #675990)
Subject: Re: Are big changes coming to the Rangers roster?

All-Star

What’s next for Rangers? Position-by-position look at roster
By Larry Brooks

Interesting .....

http://nypost.com/2017/05/11/whats-next-for-rangers-position-by-pos...

Goal- Lundqvist is the incumbent whom you can etch in for approximately 55 starts next season. If the price is too high to dissuade Vegas from claiming Antti Raanta in the expansion draft and the Blueshirts lose the valuable Finn, there is a pool of netminders likely to feature Brian Elliott, Chad Johnson, Jonathan Bernier, Ondrej Pavelec, Anders Nilsson, J-F Berube and Keith Kinkaid

Defense-The first, second, third and fourth priority is to obtain a top-pair right defenseman who might actually enhance Ryan McDonagh’s game. All indications over the last two years are that the Rangers do not believe impending free agent Kevin Shattenkirk fits that description

Center - Derek Stepan, a very good player who had a very bad playoffs, does everything for the Rangers but he may have to go if he is part of the asking price for a top right defenseman.

Wings-The first 40 minutes of Tuesday’s Game 6 explains why the Blueshirts might be amenable to trading Chris Kreider while the final 20 minutes explains why they can’t. The fluctuation in his game is remarkable. At some point, it will no longer be tolerable, but that time is not now … not unless, that is, he is the asking price for Trouba. Mats Zuccarello, the team’s most competitive and perhaps smartest player, isn’t going anywhere, The Rangers aren’t going to shop Rick Nash, entering the final year of his deal, and they aren’t going to take 30 cents on the dollar for him, but they would listen to offers that make sense. J.T. Miller had an unfortunate slide after going through the first 50 games as the Rangers’ best forward. There is nothing but upside in Miller

concust
Posted 2017-05-11 7:10 AM (#675994 - in reply to #675992)

Legend

RANGERNUT - 2017-05-11 7:34 AM

What’s next for Rangers? Position-by-position look at roster
By Larry Brooks

Interesting .....

http://nypost.com/2017/05/11/whats-next-for-rangers-position-by-pos...

Goal- Lundqvist is the incumbent whom you can etch in for approximately 55 starts next season. If the price is too high to dissuade Vegas from claiming Antti Raanta in the expansion draft and the Blueshirts lose the valuable Finn, there is a pool of netminders likely to feature Brian Elliott, Chad Johnson, Jonathan Bernier, Ondrej Pavelec, Anders Nilsson, J-F Berube and Keith Kinkaid

Defense-The first, second, third and fourth priority is to obtain a top-pair right defenseman who might actually enhance Ryan McDonagh’s game. All indications over the last two years are that the Rangers do not believe impending free agent Kevin Shattenkirk fits that description

Center - Derek Stepan, a very good player who had a very bad playoffs, does everything for the Rangers but he may have to go if he is part of the asking price for a top right defenseman.

Wings-The first 40 minutes of Tuesday’s Game 6 explains why the Blueshirts might be amenable to trading Chris Kreider while the final 20 minutes explains why they can’t. The fluctuation in his game is remarkable. At some point, it will no longer be tolerable, but that time is not now … not unless, that is, he is the asking price for Trouba. Mats Zuccarello, the team’s most competitive and perhaps smartest player, isn’t going anywhere, The Rangers aren’t going to shop Rick Nash, entering the final year of his deal, and they aren’t going to take 30 cents on the dollar for him, but they would listen to offers that make sense. J.T. Miller had an unfortunate slide after going through the first 50 games as the Rangers’ best forward. There is nothing but upside in Miller

1. Goal - agree. This is a Rangers strength, and while I'd hate to lose Raanta, his claiming would also mean we remain intact up front.
2. Also agree to a point. I don't think Shattenkirk is the answer here. Although to be fair I don't know of any top flight RHD that are going to be shopped. While first-pair RHD is a huge priority, I think overall defensive quality and depth is as much of a concern. If we had a better quality, deeper defense, it would significantly lessen the need for an all-star caliber RHD to play with 27.
3. I do not hide my appreciation for the player that Stepan is but if he can truly return a top pair RHD I would certainly consider it. Rangers are strong down the middle and it's much easier to acquire a center than a RHD.
4. I don't see a problem with the wingers. Sure you want Kreider to be more consistent, you want Nash to be younger and cheaper, you want Buchnevich to be more experienced, etc etc. But the problem with the 2016-17 Rangers began and ended with defense.

LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2017-05-11 7:16 AM (#675998 - in reply to #675990)

All-Star

Yes, & it would make sense, this nucleus version of the team has ran its course. Obviously, the ultimate goal was not reached, but many years or successful hockey going back to 2005.

Edited by LeetchyMrRanger 2017-05-11 7:19 AM
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-05-11 7:39 AM (#676003 - in reply to #675990)

MVP

Absolutely Hell No on Shattenkirk
Absolutely Hell No on keeping Stepan. We need net clearing corner battle winning defenseman
rjpny75
Posted 2017-05-11 9:05 AM (#676012 - in reply to #675990)

Rookie

Found all contract details... http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/new-york-rangers/

I also found that Girardi starting July 1 has a modified no trade clause. He has to pick 15 teams he CANNOT be traded to by July 1. Otherwise we could trade him. Not sure what we would get though. I'm sure there is at least 1 team that would like a veteran defensemen.

I wish this were the case with Stahl. He has full no movement clause. However with the concussions, he may be 1 hit away from retirement. I don't wish this upon him. I would rather see him bought out and just retire. Except for the last couple of years he was a good player for us.
NTHockey
Posted 2017-05-11 9:53 AM (#676016 - in reply to #676012)

All-Star

rjpny75 - 2017-05-11 11:05 AM

I also found that Girardi starting July 1 has a modified no trade clause. He has to pick 15 teams he CANNOT be traded to by July 1. Otherwise we could trade him. Not sure what we would get though. I'm sure there is at least 1 team that would like a veteran defensemen.

I wish this were the case with Stahl. He has full no movement clause. However with the concussions, he may be 1 hit away from retirement. I don't wish this upon him. I would rather see him bought out and just retire. Except for the last couple of years he was a good player for us.

What's the cap situation if Staal is forced to retire because of concussions?
ItspetezaNYR
Posted 2017-05-11 10:04 AM (#676017 - in reply to #675990)
Subject: RE: Are big changes coming to the Rangers roster?

Prospect

Ok:
1:Larry Brooks is a moron
2: Staal retiring because of concussion??
3: Stepan is not nor will he ever be a #1 center.
4: ENOUGH with shattenkirk , he's not the answer on D.
5: sign Smith NOW to a 3 yr deal
6: weigh in on offers for any of Stepan, Girardi Staal Nash
This team needs a number 1 center and someone to replace Scott Arniel. They have enough Option on d if Staal or Girdardi leave
rjpny75
Posted 2017-05-11 10:09 AM (#676018 - in reply to #676016)

Rookie

NTHockey - 2017-05-11 11:53 AM

Good question. I have no idea.

Edited by rjpny75 2017-05-11 10:10 AM
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-05-11 11:47 AM (#676020 - in reply to #675990)

MVP

Holden needs to be 6th or 7th defenseman...that's what he is...Alzner via FA or Trouba via trade...Step and Kreider I'd def part with...Miller I don't want to but might have to. If they want Zib I'm ok with that too...we have to beg Sean Day to hurry up. Perfect world Staal and Girardi don't come back. Tj Oshie would be a good player here. Most importantly start getting good at the draft...stop giving away 1's ....Gordie Clark your batting avg. ain't all that.
sureshore
Posted 2017-05-11 1:47 PM (#676023 - in reply to #675990)

All-Star

Rangers are screwed pretty much any way you look at it unless they can unload one of the albatross defensemen's salary and get a better d-man here . Despite it costing more, I'd definitely take the buyout route with Staal as option one. They'd then need to bring in a quality d-man which would cost them. You just know it'll probably be Shattenkirk because that's what the Rangers do (gotta make some noise in free agency), but it makes infinitely more sense to trade for one (everyone mentions Trouba - what would that take?). When looking for a quality d-man, I'd make nearly everyone available, except McD and Skjei on defense and Zucc, Kreider, Vesey, Buchnevich and maybe Lindberg up front. Gotta give to get. And please - no draft picks given up but if someone wants to throw one the Rangers way, well - that'd be nice

Lastly, regarding Brendan Smith - seems like lots of Rangers are thinking of him as an Anton Stralman situation rather than a Kevin Klein. Not sure how I feel, but not sure I'd pay Smith anywhere near 5 years at 4.5 which I think was mentioned in Brooks' column
Gravey09
Posted 2017-05-11 2:17 PM (#676027 - in reply to #675990)

All-Star

They will be making changes absolutely no doubt. There will be some league-wide wheeling and dealing this year. The expansion team and a bunch of teams pondering their core's ability to get it done. Was really hoping the Ducks shat the bed but maybe the Preds are the dagger.
Clearly a frontline Dman is needed and it will cost. Think it will be a retool number and a good possibility of a big time trade with teams willing to deal.
Luv Hank and he can still contribute no doubt but the times his is ordinary and at times awful are becoming increasingly more frequent. wonder if Leaf's would roll the dice? The Oilers ?
Nash has actually become a leader ...anyone need someone to lead your young pups?
Do the Jets really want to dump Trouba the malcontent ?
Cannot wait until the dominoes start falling .....

It could be worse folks.....you could be a Craps fan!!!! .... Lord it is blindfolds and cigarettes in that organization!

Fish
Posted 2017-05-12 1:19 PM (#676098 - in reply to #675990)

Publisher

The waiver draft makes things a lot more tricky here, because you're forced to protect player with NMCs

If they want to sign Smith, then they're going to have to do one of two things:
- Buy someone out first, and then protect him
- Take the risk that LV won't take him, or won't be able to sign him and that he would be willing to come back to NYR as a UFA

As for Stepan, they'd need some cooperation from him to be able to trade him. So again, not clear cut

The goalie situation is problematic too, I'm concerned Lundqvist will continue to slide due to age, and that if Raanta's taken, the team would really be exposed

On Shattenkirk, I think the big issue was that the asking price was too high previously, they may reconsider with him as a UFA, depending on what he's asking for, and offers that the NYR are competing with
LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2017-05-12 2:12 PM (#676109 - in reply to #675990)

All-Star

http://nypost.com/2017/05/12/its-out-of-our-control-rangers-veteran...
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-05-12 4:40 PM (#676115 - in reply to #675990)

MVP

Im an absolutely Hell No on Shattenkirk...unless he wants to give a hometown discount and no NMC...He aint that good of a D man. Yes Stepan, Kreider, Miller, Zib, Hayes.. all in play if you go after Trouba, Duchense etc...
concust
Posted 2017-05-13 6:22 AM (#676124 - in reply to #676018)

Legend

rjpny75 - 2017-05-11 11:09 AM

NTHockey - 2017-05-11 11:53 AM

Good question. I have no idea.

I believe the rest of the contract becomes null and void and the money is cleared from our cap. It would be treated like a normal retirement. This was not a 35+ contract.

concust
Posted 2017-05-13 6:29 AM (#676125 - in reply to #676115)

Legend

Mikey Red - 2017-05-12 5:40 PM

Im an absolutely Hell No on Shattenkirk...unless he wants to give a hometown discount and no NMC...He aint that good of a D man. Yes Stepan, Kreider, Miller, Zib, Hayes.. all in play if you go after Trouba, Duchense etc...

Shattenkirk wasn't "The Answer" in Washington and he wouldn't be "The Answer" here. Have no problem with the player but he's going to be too expensive for what he brings. Most high profile UFA acquisitions are, so be wary unless you have extra cap space (we don't) and you have a contender already and are looking for the last piece of the puzzle.

Rangerjunkie
Posted 2017-05-13 8:29 AM (#676133 - in reply to #675990)

All-Star

There has to be changes..Need to bring some players in who demand good play, and don't allow all of these "flat" starts..Players who have leadership abilities.
Rangers 2017
Posted 2017-05-14 5:24 AM (#676149 - in reply to #675990)

Rookie

I view it like this. Shatt versus Smith. I have always felt like it was either or.

If Shatt takes a NY discount and comes here for 5.5 to 5.7 per, I am on board with signing him. If he is looking for over 6 mill per, which he will clearly get, then I pass and focus on Smith. Remember Yandle got 6.35 mill per from Florida last summer in a ridiculous deal, and Shatt is better than Yandle and a R shot.

Smith I am figuring will be in the mid 4's +/- for a cap hit (he was at 2.75 this year).

If the difference between the two is 1.2 mill +/- give me Shatt. If the difference is 1.8 +/- give me Smith.

I think it is that simple. If Shatt won't take a NY discount to be back where he grew up a huge Rangers fan, then all good I focus on Smith. That's the only way I sign Shatt...need the discount.

Rangers 2017
Posted 2017-05-14 5:28 AM (#676150 - in reply to #675990)

Rookie

On top of Shatt or Smith I think the Rangers need another top 4 RD to complete the top 4. That is where I would look at packaging Stepan for Brodin or Trouba to add that 2nd top 4 dman we need.

Then we'd have McDonagh/top 4 RD we add AND Skjei/Smith as our top 4 (substitute Smith out for Shatt if we get the NY discount). That is darn solid. And we get rid of one between Staal and Girardi, and go with a 3rd pair of Staal or Girardi/KHL kid we signed/Graves/Kampfer as the 3rd pair. The D is rebuilt and our forwards are still young and deep (even without Stepan).

Away we go.

Edited by Rangers 2017 2017-05-14 5:29 AM
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-05-14 7:17 AM (#676155 - in reply to #675990)

MVP

Signing Shattenkirk = ...and expecting a different result
Mjolnir
Posted 2017-05-14 9:02 AM (#676158 - in reply to #676155)

Legend

Mikey Red - 2017-05-14 9:17 AM

Signing Shattenkirk = ...and expecting a different result
RANGERNUT
Posted 2017-05-16 6:36 AM (#676198 - in reply to #675990)

All-Star

You may not like reading this ..... but ....

Kevin Shattenkirk wants to play a big role wherever he goes
May 15 | 9:43AM

https://www.sny.tv/rangers/news/kevin-shattenkirk-wants-to-play-a-bi...

Adam Rotter: Shattenkirk isn't the perfect defenseman. He's not Erik Karlsson or Drew Doughty but he's a defenseman who has the exact skillset that the Rangers want on the back end. He's a right shot, skates well, can move the puck, create offense and run the PP. Putting him next to Ryan McDonagh would give the Rangers a very mobile top pair. It's fit that that on paper makes sense but also needs to make sense under the cap. It's hard to know how the Rangers cap will look this far out, before the expansion draft and buyout period, but if the Rangers want Shattenkirk and Shattenkirk wants to be a Ranger, as many believe he does, they will find a way to work things out and fit everything else in after.
concust
Posted 2017-05-17 9:31 AM (#676232 - in reply to #675990)

Legend

Even if we were to sign Shattenkirk I wouldn't put him on the first pair with McDonagh because then beyond the first pair you basically have Skjei and three traffic cones. Mcdonagh on first pair, Shattenkirk as RD on second pair, Skjei as LD on third pair, gives you a solid foundation to work with. Then their partners should have an easier time being more "defensive minded" and not needing to worry about pinching or providing offense. Simplifies things for everyone.
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2017-05-24 3:35 PM (#676313 - in reply to #676098)

Scorer

They need no cooperation from Stepan whatsoever. His NTC kicks in July. So, they can trade him anywhere they want before then. He's f'n history. Thank God.
Rangerjunkie
Posted 2017-05-24 3:43 PM (#676316 - in reply to #676313)

All-Star

itsmcilrathtime - 2017-05-24 3:35 PM

They need no cooperation from Stepan whatsoever. His NTC kicks in July. So, they can trade him anywhere they want before then. He's f'n history. Thank God.

We HOPE he's history!!
Spider3WideBanana
Posted 2017-06-03 11:24 AM (#676399 - in reply to #675990)

Rookie

Tampa is supposedly making Drouin available. I don't know if we have the assets to get him, but he's the closest thing we might be able to acquire to give us a "Star Player". I think that's been the fatal flaw of this group, we have a lot of B-B+ players. I would pretty much give up anyone except Brady to get him, because he could become the next Seguin type , that just blows up in a primary role.
concust
Posted 2017-06-05 11:15 AM (#676410 - in reply to #676399)

Legend

Spider3WideBanana - 2017-06-03 12:24 PM

Tampa is supposedly making Drouin available. I don't know if we have the assets to get him, but he's the closest thing we might be able to acquire to give us a "Star Player". I think that's been the fatal flaw of this group, we have a lot of B-B+ players. I would pretty much give up anyone except Brady to get him, because he could become the next Seguin type , that just blows up in a primary role.

Maybe if we trade Stepan for two minor league players, we can flip the minor leaguers to Tampa for Drouin.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software