Home Page
 OTG

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Stepan and Raanta to Yotes for DeAngelo and 7th overall
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 6 [35 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Rangers -> Winter Is ComingMessage format

Mjolnir
Posted 2017-07-24 11:55 AM (#678414 - in reply to #678406)
Subject: Re: Stepan and Raanta to Yotes for DeAngelo and 7th overall

Legend

Shattenkirk NYR - 2017-07-24 12:40 PM

When you lose multiple OT games you absolutely played them tooth and nail. Clearly the lesser team, but the games were tooth and nail for sure. We'll agree to disagree on that one.

Don't know what your definition of tooth and nail is...definitely not what the Rangers did in that series...unless you mean trying to hold on my the skin of their teeth.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mjolnir
Posted 2017-07-24 11:57 AM (#678415 - in reply to #678409)

Legend

Rranger - 2017-07-24 1:05 PM

Mjolnir - 2017-07-24 9:34 AM

Rranger - 2017-07-24 12:18 PM

. But the issue with the light on the trade on the Rangers end is they gave up the now for the future, and thats always a risk.

Did they really have much of a choice? They were not going to win with "the now" so their best bet was "the future". The Cup "window" has pretty much closed. Gorton would be a fool to think otherwise. So far he's shown he's not one.

Their is always a choice, Were it not for a boneheaded coach against Ottawa, they could have beat them. Gorton could have found a way to keep Stepan and sign Shattenkirk if he would have wanted to.
There is not always a choice. So what if they beat Ottawa -- doesn't change the fact that changes had to be made...Each season they were further from the Cup.
Mjolnir
Posted 2017-07-24 11:59 AM (#678416 - in reply to #678407)

Legend

Shattenkirk NYR - 2017-07-24 12:47 PM

As for Stepan, I'll say right now he goes for 60 points with Zona. I think he'll get a little boost with a new team in a new environment. We'll see.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if he put up 70....he will become another high scoring forward on a bad team -- doesn't change the fact that he's not a #1. Someone (fortunately not us) will trade for him thinking he's the answer to their problems and discover otherwise.
Shattenkirk NYR
Posted 2017-07-24 1:16 PM (#678418 - in reply to #676879)

Rookie

He could be a 70 point guy on a bad team, agree that is possible.

I think AV clearly f'd up the Ottawa series, along with Hank struggling in that series.

As for where we are now, I like it. Never were going to have the 6.5 of Stepan locked in under a NTC for 4-years and add Shatt also, and have Ziban as well. Never happening. So I like moving on fro Stepan now and clearing that precious cap space. Then we used it wisely by signing Shatt. Now we'll see if Gorton can add a solid top 9 C/forward and we'll be in a really great spot.

sureshore
Posted 2017-07-24 4:41 PM (#678428 - in reply to #678289)

All-Star

Mandar - 2017-07-22 8:11 PM

LUCE!!!!

Welcome back buddy! This place just got a whole lot more interesting

Agreed. Luce's back for his usual summer drubbing of members far and wide. Those new to OTG who are interested in getting into "discussions" can go from rookie level to legend in one summer's time (talking about Shattenkirk guy
Shattenkirk NYR
Posted 2017-07-24 5:02 PM (#678429 - in reply to #676879)

Rookie

Rranger
Posted 2017-07-25 12:13 AM (#678430 - in reply to #676879)

All-Star

I'm a Gorton believer. He's done a decent job of playing the hand he got when he took over. The Stepan trade has me wondering why he would go so thin at center and he has. I'm not against Stepans lazy ass and contract being gone but Gorton has to have a replacement plan and I would expect he does. At the most this season does he find a third or fourth line center maybe Nieves and bite the bullet through this season. He makes sure Tavares agent is aware he will take a run at him this summer and waits it out hoping the Piles can't resign him. And they won't. The Maple Leafs might have interest in Tavares but they have some young guns that are going to get paid and in today's NHL you can only pay so many. The Rangers will be rid of Nash's contract traded at the deadline for some nuggets and have all season to move Staals contract. Frees up some cash but a lot of next year RFA's Miller, Hayes, Skjei and Vesey, and two years UFA's Zucc and McDonagh and RFA's DeAngelo and Buchnevich. I don't know what else is out there. I don't know at what time, if they fall out of it they look at Hank's $8.5 and decide when and if they move Lunquist before he's worth nothing, assuming he's agreeable to a move.
He has to have something in mind and if it's not a UFA like Tavares who else could it be. The Bozak types just don't cut it, he's got to have something bigger than that in the works. NHL GM's are notoriously patient, and a run at Tavares next summer certainly doesn't exceed any realistic time limit. I'm not sure the Rangers have the assets to trade for a younger center. He's got a lot of huge decisions over the next two off seasons and a big hole at number 1 center to fill, the fun for Gorton is just beginning.

Edited by Rranger 2017-07-25 12:16 AM
Shattenkirk NYR
Posted 2017-07-25 4:19 AM (#678432 - in reply to #676879)

Rookie

We have a different view on next seasons team Rr. You paint a negative picture. I just don't see that. I believe this is a very good team. A team with an excellent D and a very good goalie. A team still with solid depth upfront, that no doubt needs another top 9 C/forward, but a team that has a shot to be real good.

With the trade Nash and if we fall out of it comments it seems like you don't feel this is a good team, and I'm puzzled as to why...because we lost 50's points Stepan and replaced him with 50's points Shatt?

I look at this team and see a lot of growth potential be it from Ziban, Hayes, Miller, Buch, Vesey, or Skjei. We also have guys like Andersson and some young dmen with potential upside. Now of course all won't step it up. Heck all could really struggle/stay stagnant, but the potential is there. It's very unlikely none of them move forward, and I didn't even mention Kreider who I believe still has more in him.

So I'm with you in that I'd love to take a run at Tavares (I happen to think it is unlikely he does that to the Isles and jumps to us, but sure take a shot). I also agree that we need another top 9 C/forward (one that I think Gorton will add either now or during the season). But I see a really solid team with good upside potential. Based on some of your posts recently I get the vibe that you don't think this is a very good team, and I wonder why...because we lost Stepan? I believe that is more than made up for by our greatly improved D, which has killed is the past two seasons.

Guess we'll see, but I am optimistic, and I also am a big Gorton believer like you are, so I think he'll get us where we need to be.

Rangerjunkie
Posted 2017-07-25 6:16 AM (#678433 - in reply to #676879)

All-Star

I don't believe Stepan will be missed. We have talked about what everyone feels is a "useless" stat. Assists are overinflated stats, and then add on top of that secondary assists. Don't get me wrong, coming down on a 2 on 1 and a player gets the goalie to commit and passes over to his winger for a wide open net absolutely deserves an assist. The problem is secondary assists, even goaltenders get these type of assists! Half of Stepan's assists were secondary. Will he benefit from having young wingers who are fast and have good hands? Probably. But Stepan only scored 20 goals twice in his career. His highest point total was 57! And that was the year his line mate had 42 goals! Do not see him getting 70 points. He is mediocre at best!
Gravey09
Posted 2017-07-25 7:43 AM (#678434 - in reply to #676879)

All-Star

I wonder if Zucc could play Center ? The man can skate, check, pass, see the ice, is tenacious, defensively aware. plays 200 ft game and is fearless. Never seen him take a faceoff but is awfully low to the ground. St. Louis was a disaster at the center position for the NYRs but was more than decent in Tampa ......
Rranger
Posted 2017-07-25 8:42 AM (#678435 - in reply to #678432)

All-Star

Shattenkirk NYR - 2017-07-25 3:19 AM

We have a different view on next seasons team Rr. You paint a negative picture. I just don't see that. I believe this is a very good team. A team with an excellent D and a very good goalie. A team still with solid depth upfront, that no doubt needs another top 9 C/forward, but a team that has a shot to be real good.

With the trade Nash and if we fall out of it comments it seems like you don't feel this is a good team, and I'm puzzled as to why...because we lost 50's points Stepan and replaced him with 50's points Shatt?

I look at this team and see a lot of growth potential be it from Ziban, Hayes, Miller, Buch, Vesey, or Skjei. We also have guys like Andersson and some young dmen with potential upside. Now of course all won't step it up. Heck all could really struggle/stay stagnant, but the potential is there. It's very unlikely none of them move forward, and I didn't even mention Kreider who I believe still has more in him.

So I'm with you in that I'd love to take a run at Tavares (I happen to think it is unlikely he does that to the Isles and jumps to us, but sure take a shot). I also agree that we need another top 9 C/forward (one that I think Gorton will add either now or during the season). But I see a really solid team with good upside potential. Based on some of your posts recently I get the vibe that you don't think this is a very good team, and I wonder why...because we lost Stepan? I believe that is more than made up for by our greatly improved D, which has killed is the past two seasons.

Guess we'll see, but I am optimistic, and I also am a big Gorton believer like you are, so I think he'll get us where we need to be.

Do you understand the importance of a center? You need to wrap your head around the fact Shattenkirk is replacing Giradi not Stepan, thats a defense upgrade and a center downgrade. . So enough with the Shattenkirk points replacing Stepans. If you dont understand you need to replace Stepan with another centerman then you are showing a limited grasp of the game. So far Vigneaults buddy Therrien's boy is replacing Stepan, I suppose youi think thats a upgrade. Stepan was still good enough to play against other teams best centers and did. And good enough, but for a bozo behind the bench the team should have been in the conference final. And you will have a tough time convincing me Shattenkirk replacing a rreasonably solid Giradi, and the midget replacing Stepan would have made a difference.
And the vibe is if the Rangers don't get a better center they won't be better, let alone as good. Im sorry that doesn't agree with your sunny ways, but instead of going around and around, leave it til the season is over. Its pointless arguing about it.
robstones
Posted 2017-07-25 8:58 AM (#678438 - in reply to #678414)

Legend

Mjolnir - 2017-07-24 1:55 PM

Shattenkirk NYR - 2017-07-24 12:40 PM

When you lose multiple OT games you absolutely played them tooth and nail. Clearly the lesser team, but the games were tooth and nail for sure. We'll agree to disagree on that one.

Don't know what your definition of tooth and nail is...definitely not what the Rangers did in that series...unless you mean trying to hold on my the skin of their teeth.

And if by hold on by the skin of their teeth, you mean hold the lead the whole series, then yeah...

They lost because they blew the lead.... The games went to OT because LA had to come back from being down 2-0.... 3-1...

You make it sound like LA had an easy time winning The Cup. They played from behind with their backs against the wall pretty much the whole series. Rangers dominated them for stretches.... and then blew it with a bad costly turnover... or LA taking advantage of a crazy bounce...

I'll never forget the Gaborik goal where the puck bounced around like a pinball only to end up right on Gabby's stick infront for the tap in.
Rranger
Posted 2017-07-25 9:04 AM (#678439 - in reply to #676879)

All-Star

I agree the Rangers needed a little puck luck later on in some of those games and never got a bounce.
Shattenkirk NYR
Posted 2017-07-25 10:36 AM (#678454 - in reply to #676879)

Rookie

Great response Rr. I was totally expecting a rude response and you got it done. Why would we have an intelligent discussion when we can be rude and obnoxious. Way to get it done fella.

Shattenkirk NYR
Posted 2017-07-25 10:38 AM (#678455 - in reply to #676879)

Rookie

And message received. AV sucks. Shatt isn't that much better than Girardi. Deshar sucks. Stepan is so difficult to replace. I got your message bro. It is loud and clear. Not a good team, so it's all good.

Edit to add, yes we need a C. I think that has been a constant message in here. But I don't think we need one today or to start the season to be a good regular season team. Add that guy during the season and we have as good a shot as any team to make a long run.

Edited by Shattenkirk NYR 2017-07-25 10:49 AM
Rranger
Posted 2017-07-25 10:47 AM (#678457 - in reply to #678454)

All-Star

Shattenkirk NYR - 2017-07-25 9:36 AM

Great response Rr. I was totally expecting a rude response and you got it done. Why would we have an intelligent discussion when we can be rude and obnoxious. Way to get it done fella.

You couldn't put your brilliance in one post? Had to do 2
You are so special.

Every Day Of The Week.

Edited by Rranger 2017-07-25 10:48 AM
Shattenkirk NYR
Posted 2017-07-25 10:49 AM (#678458 - in reply to #676879)

Rookie

Thank you.

itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2017-08-25 3:51 AM (#679446 - in reply to #676879)

Scorer

Bottom line was Stepan sucked every since he got his big contract. This is the last year I give Kreider as well. I mean let's face it. If Kreider ever loses a step, he'll be almost useless. He doesn't skate hard half the games anyway because his head is up his ass.
robstones
Posted 2017-08-25 1:06 PM (#679458 - in reply to #676879)

Legend

If Grabner can score 30 so can Kreider
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 6 [35 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software