Home Page
 OTG

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

OFFICIAL: Rangers sign Kevin Shattenkirk 4 years $6.65m
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 2 [35 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Rangers -> Winter Is ComingMessage format

concust
Posted 2017-07-01 1:27 PM (#677362 - in reply to #677296)
Subject: Re: OFFICIAL: Rangers sign Kevin Shattenkirk 4 years $6.65m

Legend

Wow. Let it never be said again that this doesn't happen.

Brooks:

The fact is that the 28-year-old defenseman made the Rangers an offer they ultimately could not refuse, $26.6 million over four years for a $6.65 million cap hit per. Yes, in a complete reversal of the norm, the proposal was made to the organization by the free agent even as other offers rolled into him for far more money on longer-term deals.

http://nypost.com/2017/07/01/rangers-make-enormous-splash-with-disc...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Pierre_Pdare
Posted 2017-07-01 1:28 PM (#677363 - in reply to #677296)

MVP

Thorton to stay in San Jose ... dodged that bullet
Pierre_Pdare
Posted 2017-07-01 1:30 PM (#677364 - in reply to #677296)

MVP

I DO like the fact that KS wants to be a Ranger and apparently left millions on the table to be here

Now shut up and play.
Steady Eddie
Posted 2017-07-01 1:33 PM (#677365 - in reply to #677354)
Subject: Re: UNOFFICIAL: Rangers sign Kevin Shattenkirk 4 years $6.65m

MVP

Pierre_Pdare - 2017-07-01 2:44 PM

Smith signed, Shattenkirk Signed, Girardi gone, Klein gone, Staal still here

4 out of 5 ain't bad.
Shattenkirk NYR
Posted 2017-07-01 1:39 PM (#677367 - in reply to #677296)

Rookie

Kevin Shattenkirk was on TSN and said the following about signing with the Rangers:

•"No matter who you are, whatever player will tell you that the opportunity to play for the team they grew up watching and rooting for, that is a life long goal and making it to the NHL is a privilege and honor but to have this opportunity now is something that meant a lot to me."
•"Stressful, I don't even know if that word covers it. It was a crazy week and a lot of emotions and it's amazing how many factors go into make a decision. As it came down to the wire you have to start looking at things other than money and term."
•"...The opportunity to win a Stanley Cup in New York, as a hometown kid, that achievement would far surpass all of the pressure you have to deal with along the way. To me that is worth going through."

Edited by Shattenkirk NYR 2017-07-01 1:40 PM
concust
Posted 2017-07-01 1:41 PM (#677368 - in reply to #677365)
Subject: Re: UNOFFICIAL: Rangers sign Kevin Shattenkirk 4 years $6.65m

Legend

Steady Eddie - 2017-07-01 2:33 PM

Pierre_Pdare - 2017-07-01 2:44 PM

Smith signed, Shattenkirk Signed, Girardi gone, Klein gone, Staal still here

4 out of 5 ain't bad.

That's pretty positive coming from you of all people... how many years have you wanted Staal gone now? I lose count.

Signing of Shattenkirk tells me they have to move one of, if not both, Staal and Holden. Holden shouldn't be a problem, Staal might be. My guess is they move Holden, and Staal-DeAngelo on the third pair? That sort of scares me. Maybe DeAngelo to work on his game in Hartford, and Bereglazov with the Rangers. Also knocking on the door, Pionk and Graves.

Good problems to have.

Shattenkirk NYR
Posted 2017-07-01 1:41 PM (#677369 - in reply to #677296)

Rookie

D is looking solid and deep, now we need to focus upfront. Need a C who can win face-offs, get it done Gorton.

What a great job by Gorton.

Didn't give up the farm or a 1st round pick for Shatt at the trade DL.
Added a solid player in Smith, who he then resigned for a reasonable 4-years at a 4.35 AAV.
Then signed Shatt for a reasonable 4-years as well at a 6.65 AAV.

I knew I trusted this guy.

For comparison, Alzner signed for 5-years at a 4.625 AAV.

I like both deals way better than the Alzner deal, and for less years.

concust
Posted 2017-07-01 1:42 PM (#677370 - in reply to #677296)

Legend

Rick Carpiniello
@RickCarpiniello
Shattenkirk on a trip with STL to NY: “I love coming home & getting a good slice of pizza, and things you miss when you come from New York.”

He speaks the language, that's for sure.

concust
Posted 2017-07-01 1:44 PM (#677371 - in reply to #677296)

Legend

Matt Larkin
@THNMattLarkin
D-men averaging more points/game than Shattenkirk past three seasons: Karlsson, Burns, Letang, Hedman, Josi, Subban. That's it.

Shattenkirk NYR
Posted 2017-07-01 1:49 PM (#677372 - in reply to #677296)

Rookie

He is very good on O for sure. And as you pointed out concust, better on D then most think. Not a stud by any stretch, but better then people think.

If Staal isn't dealt he'll be bought out next summer. And I also think Holden most likely gets dealt now if we cannot move Staal (which seems unlikely).

Gorton not done yet...mark that down.

Edited by Shattenkirk NYR 2017-07-01 1:50 PM
concust
Posted 2017-07-01 1:54 PM (#677373 - in reply to #677296)

Legend

The only reason I would have been against the Shattenkirk acquisition is because of contract size/length. To Gorton's credit, neither one of those is a concern. The deal is so good in fact, that I don't even care if there's a full NMC attached. (Which there probably is but IDGAF)

The only "problem" with Shattenkirk's defensive play is that he has not played a lot of first pair minutes. He's been very successful as a second pair guy, and even when he played some third pair, but his first pair experience has been somewhat limited. I'm personally not too concerned because he's playing with McDonagh, who's an all-star even when shackled to Girardi. His defensive numbers might take a dip but considering the offensive tools he brings to the table I'm not at all concerned.

Agree, Holden is the odd man out at this point, Staal may very well get the ax next year. If the Rangers are smart, Staal plays on the third pair all year, maybe even regains some form there, make his numbers look good, make his season look good, for a potential deadline or draft day trade.

Shattenkirk NYR
Posted 2017-07-01 2:00 PM (#677374 - in reply to #677296)

Rookie

Agreed. Great contract, Gorton was never going to go past 4-years and stuck to it, did you see some of the dmen deals out West. Also agree that in a perfect world I do think Shatt is a 2nd pair dman, but with McD here he is fine for the 1st pair, and way better than Girardi so upgrade for us and McD. And that 2nd pair is darn solid also.

My fear is AV needs to understand that Staal/Holden are the 3rd pair and play 3rd pair minutes if here. Also both should get games off as well. AV needs to understand and accept that.

Edited by Shattenkirk NYR 2017-07-01 2:01 PM
concust
Posted 2017-07-01 2:08 PM (#677378 - in reply to #677296)

Legend

Rick Carpiniello
@RickCarpiniello
Shattenkirk admitted a few teams were willing to go 7 yrs., but the teams he prioritized were all around 4 yrs.
concust
Posted 2017-07-01 2:11 PM (#677380 - in reply to #677374)

Legend

Shattenkirk NYR - 2017-07-01 3:00 PM

Agreed. Great contract, Gorton was never going to go past 4-years and stuck to it, did you see some of the dmen deals out West. Also agree that in a perfect world I do think Shatt is a 2nd pair dman, but with McD here he is fine for the 1st pair, and way better than Girardi so upgrade for us and McD. And that 2nd pair is darn solid also.

My fear is AV needs to understand that Staal/Holden are the 3rd pair and play 3rd pair minutes if here. Also both should get games off as well. AV needs to understand and accept that.

Also not opposed to McDonagh-Smith and then Skjei-Shattenkirk if it comes down to better chemistry. I think with Smith having played the right side, and also Skjei having some experience there as well, it helps open up some options.

I don't think there's any way we open the season with both Staal and Holden on the roster. There are enough young defensemen knocking on the door that Gorton would be doing a disservice by having both hang around.
Shattenkirk NYR
Posted 2017-07-01 2:16 PM (#677384 - in reply to #677296)

Rookie

Good point, AV can mix and match that top 4 as he sees fit/as chemistry warrants. But that is the top 4. Accept that AV.

And I agree, Holden most likely will be flipped for a pick. He should have value for a lower round pick coming off a decent season with a decent cap hit for only one more year. DeAngelo/Graves should be around, and some other kids also. Have to leave a 3rd pair spot open I agree.

concust
Posted 2017-07-01 2:18 PM (#677385 - in reply to #677296)

Legend

Dan Rosen
@drosennhl
Shattenkirk: "Ryan McDonagh was a big part of my decision." He's excited about chance to play with McDonagh.
robstones
Posted 2017-07-01 2:26 PM (#677387 - in reply to #677296)

Legend

McDonagh Shattenkirk

Is potentially one of the better pairing in the league... on paper....

Shattenkirk PPqb1
DeAngelo PPqb2

Solid blueline....

Just need a center or two, or at least a top 6 talent.

I like Miller better at center anyway, but it's good to have depth
Shattenkirk NYR
Posted 2017-07-01 2:27 PM (#677389 - in reply to #677296)

Rookie

Have to get DeAngelo in the lineup first, and that's where trading Holden comes into play I'm sure.

Shattenkirk NYR
Posted 2017-07-01 3:05 PM (#677402 - in reply to #677296)

Rookie

Shattenkirk details #NYR:

NMC + Mod-NTC

2017-18: $8M
2018-19: $7.6M
2019-20: $7M
2020-21: $4M (incl $2M SB lockout protection)

AAV: $6.65M

Rranger
Posted 2017-07-01 5:22 PM (#677405 - in reply to #677296)

All-Star

The Rangers brought in two top pair dman from their teams, Boyle and Yandle. They ended up on the third pair. Fed cleanup minutes on the power play second pair, rarely starting it, they with the he rest of a bad power play struggled. Not even utilized properly by blinders double mint to try to take advantage of their playing assets, instead fed third pair minutes. Now bringing in a career, that's career 2nd pair dman, mostly while with St. Louis, a team of little success, signing him to a top $$ contract, albeit for only four years, and now posters forecasting about how the Rangers will use him on the first pair and trot out second and third pair stats to justify his new first pair status. The same stats that will not be as good after a season of playing on the first pair. Oh but he's playing with McD, who will have to cover for him just like he had to with Girardi, which stay with me people, still reduces McD's effectiveness. Great, McD has another liability beside him. A guy who is going to supposedly make the power play better, just like Boyle and Yandle were going to. Don't see it happening, he had little to zero impact on a Washington team with a lot more offensive assets, toiling away on their second pair, fourth in minutes played in the playoffs. Trotz isn't' stupid, neither is Ken Hitchcock, both played him second pair, they saw him a lot more than anyone on here, and are a lot smarter than anyone on here, and chose to play him second pair. I'm willing to give any new Ranger a chance, but will remain skeptical about a scenario played out twice before, happening all over again. I hope for his sake putting his trust in Vigneault doesn't turn out to be the biggest mistake of his life.
Shattenkirk NYR
Posted 2017-07-01 5:32 PM (#677406 - in reply to #677296)

Rookie

Just don't think it is fair to compare Shatt to Boyle and Yandle. Boyle is not even worth discussing as he came here at 38 I think, so that one speaks for itself. And Yandle simply is not as good as Shatt and never has been. Plus Shatt is a R shot as well, which matters.

Now I do agree he is better suited to be a 2nd pair dman as a couple of us mentioned earlier, but for only 4-years for a guy who is good for 50 points (or close to it) and clearly badly wanted to be a Ranger (which means something to me) I just don't see how anyone can really be bothered by this. Plus he is simply WAY better than Girardi, who was this past seasons # 1 RD. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I must admit to be against this signing is puzzling to me.

Our top 4 on D is in the top portion of the league now I think. And when we add a C/forward, which Gorton said we will, I think this team will be right back in the mix again next season.

Rranger
Posted 2017-07-01 5:43 PM (#677408 - in reply to #677296)

All-Star

The comparison to Boyle and Yandle is very valid. They were going to solve the power play problems just like Shattenkirk is now expected to. He didn't get $6 plus to kill penalties. Hes getting top dman money just less years, hair on him for wanting to be here, but that's not going to help him if he doesn't produce, or if he has defensive issues. Because those issues will be a lot more apparent playing first pair.

Edited by Rranger 2017-07-01 5:44 PM
robstones
Posted 2017-07-01 5:46 PM (#677409 - in reply to #677296)

Legend

I'm not sure of the answer here, but has Shattenkirk ever had a partner like McDonagh?

With his speed and skill, that is? Someone who can cover up any defensive mistakes he may make, and who has the skill to read and compliment Shattenkirks offensive ability?

Because I think we could be looking at career years out of both of them if this plays out right
Shattenkirk NYR
Posted 2017-07-01 5:50 PM (#677410 - in reply to #677296)

Rookie

We'll disagree on those comparisons, especially to a 38 year old Boyle. Just because some people say this guy will fix the PP, and now people will say the same about Shatt, doesn't mean the player is comparable to Shatt. Not close to the same level in Boyle's case. And a clear step down in Yandle's case.

And Shatt will produce, I don't have any doubt about that. Will the PP be much better, that I cannot say for sure because awful Arniel is still the PP coach, but Shatt will produce.

Edited by Shattenkirk NYR 2017-07-01 5:52 PM
Mjolnir
Posted 2017-07-01 5:54 PM (#677411 - in reply to #677405)

Legend

Rranger - 2017-07-01 7:22 PM

The Rangers brought in two top pair dman from their teams, Boyle and Yandle. They ended up on the third pair. Fed cleanup minutes on the power play second pair, rarely starting it, they with the he rest of a bad power play struggled. Not even utilized properly by blinders double mint to try to take advantage of their playing assets, instead fed third pair minutes. Now bringing in a career, that's career 2nd pair dman, mostly while with St. Louis, a team of little success, signing him to a top $$ contract, albeit for only four years, and now posters forecasting about how the Rangers will use him on the first pair and trot out second and third pair stats to justify his new first pair status. The same stats that will not be as good after a season of playing on the first pair. Oh but he's playing with McD, who will have to cover for him just like he had to with Girardi, which stay with me people, still reduces McD's effectiveness. Great, McD has another liability beside him. A guy who is going to supposedly make the power play better, just like Boyle and Yandle were going to. Don't see it happening, he had little to zero impact on a Washington team with a lot more offensive assets, toiling away on their second pair, fourth in minutes played in the playoffs. Trotz isn't' stupid, neither is Ken Hitchcock, both played him second pair, they saw him a lot more than anyone on here, and are a lot smarter than anyone on here, and chose to play him second pair. I'm willing to give any new Ranger a chance, but will remain skeptical about a scenario played out twice before, happening all over again. I hope for his sake putting his trust in Vigneault doesn't turn out to be the biggest mistake of his life.

Shattenkirk NYR
Posted 2017-07-01 5:54 PM (#677412 - in reply to #677296)

Rookie

And I'll also add, when you do a comparison you should compare Girardi to Shatt. That is the change for next season. Going from Girardi as the # 1 RD McDonagh partner, to Shatt as the # 1 RD McDonagh partner. Don't see how anyone can argue that comparison isn't a huge upgrade. And that's our change from this past season to next season.

Rranger
Posted 2017-07-01 5:57 PM (#677413 - in reply to #677409)

All-Star

robstones - 2017-07-01 4:46 PM

I'm not sure of the answer here, but has Shattenkirk ever had a partner like McDonagh?

With his speed and skill, that is? Someone who can cover up any defensive mistakes he may make, and who has the skill to read and compliment Shattenkirks offensive ability?

Because I think we could be looking at career years out of both of them if this plays out right

If he is as good as some on here think wouldn't he have been St. Louis's and Washington's top D? IMO McD and Shattenkirk both need solid defensive defensemen as partners. Not each other. The optimistic hope is Shattenkirk is going to be a offensive force with McD but at what expense to McD's game. Does he start hanging back more to cover for Shattenkirk?
Shattenkirk NYR
Posted 2017-07-01 6:03 PM (#677414 - in reply to #677296)

Rookie

Personally I think Shatt is a solid 2nd pair dman. I don't think he'll come here and be this defensive stud and a Norris candidate. He does have the offensive skill that raises his overall value though. And on a 4-year deal it makes perfect sense to me. Double so given the other options available and the fact that he is a huge upgrade over our # 1 RD from last season. So we just got better for sure.

Mjolnir
Posted 2017-07-01 6:03 PM (#677415 - in reply to #677408)

Legend

Rranger - 2017-07-01 7:43 PM

The comparison to Boyle and Yandle is very valid. They were going to solve the power play problems just like Shattenkirk is now expected to. He didn't get $6 plus to kill penalties. Hes getting top dman money just less years, hair on him for wanting to be here, but that's not going to help him if he doesn't produce, or if he has defensive issues. Because those issues will be a lot more apparent playing first pair.

The Rangers have been bringing in "PP specialists with the lockout" -- hasn't worked yet because someone has yet to realize that it's not the players, it's the execution. I can't for the life of me understand why players get stupid when they're on a Rangers powerless play -- pass, pass, pass, look around, fake a shot, pass, pass and pass again, skate around the perimeter for 90 seconds then a weak shot into chest of goalie. We've been saying this since the Czechmates passed up open nets looking for Jagr.

As for the issue at hand, anyone who thinks a career 2nd-3rd pair dman can easily jump into the first pair should remember these two words: Michel Rozsival.
Shattenkirk NYR
Posted 2017-07-01 6:05 PM (#677416 - in reply to #677296)

Rookie

That I agree with Mjo. Execution, and I will also add coaching, have been the issues with the PP. We agree there for sure.

Rranger
Posted 2017-07-01 6:05 PM (#677417 - in reply to #677412)

All-Star

Shattenkirk NYR - 2017-07-01 4:54 PM

And I'll also add, when you do a comparison you should compare Girardi to Shatt. That is the change for next season. Going from Girardi as the # 1 RD McDonagh partner, to Shatt as the # 1 RD McDonagh partner. Don't see how anyone can argue that comparison isn't a huge upgrade. And that's our change from this past season to next season.

That is part of the comparison if he plays with McD. But his PP ability is a huge reason he is here. Just like the reason Boyle and Yandle came here. The comparison is their impact on the PP. Yandle and Boyle minimal and Shattenkirks expected contribution. And the microscope will be squarely on Shattenkirks PP performance, just like Boyle and Yandle. In fairness to all three, I'm one of the ones who think the Rangers PP problems start a little higher up the food chain.
Shattenkirk NYR
Posted 2017-07-01 6:08 PM (#677418 - in reply to #677296)

Rookie

I agree, Arniel is a huge PP issue...the biggest I think. Bigger than the player issues.

And we'll disagree on the comparison you are making simply because I think Shatt is a different level player than the other two, especially 38 year old Boyle. Because Boyle came here as a clearly lesser player than Shatt, and didn't improve the PP doesn't mean he should be compared to Shatt who will try to improve the PP. Plus Shatt is here for way more reasons than simply to improve the PP.

Shattenkirk NYR
Posted 2017-07-01 6:11 PM (#677419 - in reply to #677296)

Rookie

And I also have big issues/questions that AV will do the right thing and understand if here Staal/Holden need to be part of a 3rd pair rotation...nothing more ever. I question whether AV gets that. Maybe Ruff will control that part though.

Rranger
Posted 2017-07-01 6:16 PM (#677420 - in reply to #677296)

All-Star

Well I quarantee if he has PP issues it will translate to the rest of his game. That's his calling card, offensive defenseman, some issues defensively. That hasn't changed just because he signed with the Rangers and might play with McD, which in my humble opinion would be a mistake. You start throwing 5 or 6 minutes more a game at a 28 year old and it's survive and make do, or it's crash and burn. There is no in between on the first pair. Besides as I pointed out earlier it could inhibit McD's game covering for him.
Shattenkirk NYR
Posted 2017-07-01 6:19 PM (#677422 - in reply to #677296)

Rookie

Guess we'll have to wait and see. I think for the term it was an absolute no brainer move. It is also a huge step up from Girardi to Shatt, which is what really should matter right now and I don't think can be disputed.

He may struggle next season, certainly possible. But I cannot see many ways he'll be worse than Girardi, so already that is a big win and upgrade for us.

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 2 [35 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software