Home Page
 OTG

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Neal Pionk, Alexei Bereglazov, Sean Day Eye Future Role with Rangers
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Rangers -> Winter Is ComingMessage format

Steady Eddie
Posted 2017-07-10 4:28 PM (#677803)
Subject: Neal Pionk, Alexei Bereglazov, Sean Day Eye Future Role with Rangers

MVP

Good read:
New York defenseman prospects have confidence despite stiff competition.

https://www.nhl.com/news/rangers-prospects-looking-for-spot-on-roste...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Rranger
Posted 2017-07-10 5:02 PM (#677804 - in reply to #677803)
Subject: Re: Neal Pionk, Alexei Bereglazov, Sean Day Eye Future Role with Rangers

All-Star

It was. If Geordie Clark doesn't have he should have a lifetime contract.
robstones
Posted 2017-07-10 8:53 PM (#677808 - in reply to #677803)
Subject: Re: Neal Pionk, Alexei Bereglazov, Sean Day Eye Future Role with Rangers

Legend

I didn't realize all of that about Day.

So he fell in the draft because his production dipped during a crazy time in his personal life.

If he didn't have that level of distraction off the rink, he would have been clear first round talent.

He didn't under produce because his skillset wasn't there.... his head wasn't in the game.

Now that he's fully submersed in the sport, and after reading that, I am that much more confident this kid is going to be something for us soon.

Alexei Bereglazov... 23 years old
Neal Pionk.... 22 years old
Sean Day.... 19 years old

The other player in this conversation is

Anthony DeAngelo.... 21 years old

2 lefties
2 righties....
Rranger
Posted 2017-07-10 10:10 PM (#677810 - in reply to #677808)

All-Star

robstones - 2017-07-10 7:53 PM

So he fell in the draft because his production dipped during a crazy time in his personal life.

If he didn't have that level of distraction off the rink, he would have been clear first round talent.

He didn't under produce because his skillset wasn't there.... his head wasn't in the game.

Now that he's fully submersed in the sport, and after reading that, I am that much more confident this kid is going to be something for us soon.

2 lefties
2 righties....

I've been around elite hockey players his age, he is a kid lagging behind most in maturity. Watch interviews when he was drafted and before. Very evident, but that will come and dealing with the other issues will toughen him up and if it all comes together for him, he just might be the the draft steal of a decade. I'm sure Clark was drooling watching a big man like him move. Tremendous skater. The physical tools are there at a elite level, and with him it's all about the maturity, and mental toughness matching.
concust
Posted 2017-07-11 4:44 AM (#677811 - in reply to #677803)

Legend

I haven't seen a big man skate with the puck as smoothly as Day does since Mario Lemieux. Even so Lemieux was a lanky skater due to his long legs and arms. Day's ability is almost unmatched. Plenty of guys have "first round talent" but end up falling. Day has elite level talent and fell to the third round which is still amazing to me. I figured someone would nab him mid-second at worst based on talent alone. I mean look at all the guys with talent but maturity issues/character issues/question marks that get picked in the first round anyway.

itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2017-07-11 5:05 AM (#677812 - in reply to #677803)

Regular

The fact he doesn't mention Ryan Graves who is on another level than Bereglazov and Pionk proves he knows little. Thus why I wouldn't even waste my time reading it. Last time I saw such a solid defenseman so disrespected was when Girardi was in the AHL and everybody ignored him. I have no doubt Gorton and AV will do their best to screw Graves up. AV doesn't like physical, stay at home defenseman with big shots. AV likes soft defenseman who don't hit anybody and only have wrist shots. Same crap. Different year.
concust
Posted 2017-07-11 8:26 AM (#677813 - in reply to #677803)

Legend

My money would be on Bereglazov to be on the roster when camp breaks, and Graves in Hartford.

Rranger
Posted 2017-07-11 1:58 PM (#677831 - in reply to #677803)

All-Star

Minor hockey and junior hockey is loaded with kids that can't connect the talent, and head in the game dots. They never do. I've seen many with the talent that never get it and never get out of minor hockey and or junior hockey. Days immaturity and off ice family issues held him back, he should have played at a lower level instead of accepting his exceptional status. He was 15 going on 13, and flat out wasn't ready mentally. His immaturity translated onto the ice. He was using about 40% of his talent a kid playing against young men, and that's what scared off NHL scouts. He was intimidated.
Immature on the ice and off the ice are two different things. Junior hockey players are for the most part alpha males and don't lack confidence in themselves on or off the ice. Most have been hacked and whacked all through minor hockey and don't take a lot of crap when they get to Jr. To much confidence is usually the problem for most kids playing junior hockey, Day was the total opposite no confidence because he was still very much a boy. Days immaturity carried onto the ice where he admits to being scared to use all his talents.
Anyone that thinks the Rangers didn't take a huge gamble picking him in the third round doesn't understand the process. At the time of the draft he had made some defensive strides in Jr but his offence was barely appreciable. He was very much a could go either way pick. Kudos to him and his coaching staff for his progress. Rangers gambled, it might pay off, I think he's a couple of seasons away, he's still got some mental toughness catching up to do to gain the confidence in himself and his game.
concust
Posted 2017-07-11 2:10 PM (#677834 - in reply to #677803)

Legend

It was a gamble by the Rangers, but it's a very low risk gamble if you ask me. A typical third round pick has a <6% chance of becoming an NHL regular anyway. Might as well take the flyer on an exceptionally talented kid having a couple of bad years.

Also remember the Rangers had very few draft picks that year, and third round pick was their first pick. They were looking to make a splash. I couldn't have been happier with the pick.

Rranger
Posted 2017-07-11 2:32 PM (#677840 - in reply to #677803)

All-Star

It was a gamble, in a typical lack of picks draft. His development was not trajecting in any direction. Other picks ahead of him in the third round took that into consideration. No one up til then wanted him in a previous pick. They took others. Who knows how many teams picking behind the Rangers wouldn't have taken him. The Rangers have made a habit of picking potential star "risks" under Clarke from Cherepanov to Chytil including Day, usually because of a lack of picks, so they swing for the fence. They almost have to. Clarke has been pretty successful. But until Day gets to New York and plays a meaningful role he's a guy people three years from now might be saying. "told you so" or "did we blow that". Either way he's still got it to do. A lot of on and off ice issues can derail these kids in a hurry. His Career starting as a Ranger has a few miles yet.
Mcphee
Posted 2017-07-11 4:40 PM (#677847 - in reply to #677813)

Rookie

concust - 2017-07-11 10:26 AM

My money would be on Bereglazov to be on the roster when camp breaks, and Graves in Hartford.

I agree with this.Plus I'm sure he has a clause in his contract that says if he's not in the NHL,he can go back to Russia.Although I would prefer Graves and Bereglazov both on the team and Holden and Staal both gone.I worry about Graves ever making this team with this coach,I've read some questions about his skating,and we know about this coach and his stubbornness to use d that don't skate very well.

Edited by Mcphee 2017-07-11 4:42 PM
Rangerjunkie
Posted 2017-07-11 5:49 PM (#677855 - in reply to #677847)

All-Star

Mcphee - 2017-07-11 4:40 PM

concust - 2017-07-11 10:26 AM

I agree with this.Plus I'm sure he has a clause in his contract that says if he's not in the NHL,he can go back to Russia.Although I would prefer Graves and Bereglazov both on the team and Holden and Staal both gone.I worry about Graves ever making this team with this coach,I've read some questions about his skating,and we know about this coach and his stubbornness to use d that don't skate very well.

That is what happened with Mcilrath....Stepan couldn't skate either but AV had him out there every minute he could.
Mcphee
Posted 2017-07-11 7:55 PM (#677862 - in reply to #677855)

Rookie

Yeah I agree.I try not to bring up Mcilrath's name though because it starts a lot of unwanted crap.
Rranger
Posted 2017-07-12 10:01 PM (#677918 - in reply to #677862)

All-Star

Mcphee - 2017-07-11 6:55 PM

Yeah I agree.I try not to bring up Mcilrath's name though because it starts a lot of unwanted crap.

McIlrath did nothing to embarrass himself while playing very limited time for a coach who wanted different types of defensemen. I'm cheering for him and hope he has some success in Detroit. He had a real good finish to the season in Grand Rapids. Like most guys struggling to break in, He needs a coach that believes in him, and wants what he brings to the table.
Mcphee
Posted 2017-07-13 6:15 AM (#677926 - in reply to #677918)

Rookie

I agree.I thought he played well here filling in that 1 year when every one was hurt.
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-07-13 7:35 AM (#677928 - in reply to #677803)

All-Star

If Mclrath was drafted in the 6th round then it wouldnt be a big deal...But Gordie took him with the #10 pick overall in 2010....2008 Del Zotto, 2009 Kreider, 2011 Miller
RANGERNUT
Posted 2017-07-13 8:05 AM (#677931 - in reply to #677808)

All-Star

robstones - 2017-07-10 8:53 PM

2 lefties
2 righties....

The ‘exceptional’ talent who could force way onto Rangers radar
By Larry Brooks June 26, 2017 | 11:20pm

His name is Sean Day, and if the tag “exceptional” might prove hyperbolic at this moment, remember that this 19-year-old potential stud defenseman was only the fourth player in OHL history to be granted “exceptional player status” that allowed him to join the league as a 15-year-old in 2013.

The first three: John Tavares, Aaron Ekblad and Connor McDavid.

Day is a 6-foot-2, 231-pound lefty who played the right side last season. He said that’s become his preferred position. If the Rangers would give their kingdom for a horse, it would specifically be for a horse on the right side of the blue line. Nick Holden, whose game slipped dramatically the second half of the season, seems to have a spot, but beyond that, it’s wide open with Brendan Smith still an impending free agent.

http://nypost.com/2017/06/26/the-exceptional-talent-brewing-who-may...
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2017-07-13 8:10 AM (#677933 - in reply to #677803)

Regular

I'll never forget the stretch McIlrath played for us when he was playing better than maybe 1 or 2 of our defenseman. So what does genius AV do? Benches him and goes back to his vet scrubs. Reminded me when Baranka was our best defenseman in the pre-season by a mile and moron Renney banished him to the minors. Said it for years. People give coaches way too much credit. They play favorites and they don't always play the best players. Saw this with Renney. Saw it with Torts. Seeing it with AV. Biggest thing Graves has going for him is that they will not be able to sign McDonagh. They will either use McDonagh to trade for a number 1 center at the end of this year or a top 7 picks again with a talented center prospect.
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-07-13 8:59 AM (#677937 - in reply to #677803)

All-Star

Im not sure what stretch you were talking about....He showed only that he is Not and NHL defenseman... He cant even crack Floridas lineup....Is he even still on Florida?
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2017-07-13 11:29 AM (#677958 - in reply to #677803)

Regular

Then watch the games sober. It was obvious for a 4-5 game stretch where AV grew a brain and played him that he was outplaying most our defense. Girardi was atrocious the entire year. Boyle was horrific all season on defense. Yandle's defensive play that year was pathetic. Mac came in for that stretch and played very well. Then I check the lineup and he's scratched in favor of crappy Girardi and Boyle. When you screw kids over like that they lose their confidence. You saw that with Kreider and Torts. You were seeing it with AV and Miller for a while. I honestly think AV was told by Sather to play Miller.
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-07-13 11:34 AM (#677959 - in reply to #677803)

All-Star

I do watch the game sober...#10 pick overall and now a black ace for Florida.... total bust...even the night he was drafted Pierre called him a project...you dont take projects with the #10 pick...even his fighting was over hyped
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2017-07-13 11:34 AM (#677960 - in reply to #677803)

Regular

You can find countless examples of players screwed over by a coach or organization, leave and then blossom. Look at P. Sharp. Jerked around by the Flyers for 2 years. Didn't beat enough people up. Goes to Chicago. They take 2 years unscrewing him and he becomes a huge part in 3 cup wins.

Edited by itsmcilrathtime 2017-07-13 11:36 AM
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-07-13 11:37 AM (#677961 - in reply to #677803)

All-Star

I would say Kane, Toews, Keith played the huge part in 3 cups
Mandar
Posted 2017-07-13 12:11 PM (#677964 - in reply to #677959)

MVP

Mikey Red - 2017-07-13 1:34 PM

I do watch the game sober...#10 pick overall and now a black ace for Florida.... total bust...even the night he was drafted Pierre called him a project...you dont take projects with the #10 pick...even his fighting was over hyped

Actually a black ace for the Red Wings farm team. Florida had also offered him around the league for nothing, and no team bit. So....every team in the NHL could have had him...TWICE....for nothing. And none of them wanted him.

There is some fantasy out there that he had this great stretch of 4 or 5 games when paired with Yandle, then since he was soooooooo amazing, AV benched him. All such a fallacy. Those 4 or 5 games produced less "suck" than his normal game, so all of a sudden he was this serviceable player. 29 other NHL teams said no - TWICE.....but our resident dump says otherwise. Seems logical.
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-07-13 12:26 PM (#677966 - in reply to #677964)

All-Star

Mandar - 2017-07-13 12:11 PM

Actually a black ace for the Red Wings farm team. Florida had also offered him around the league for nothing, and no team bit. So....every team in the NHL could have had him...TWICE....for nothing. And none of them wanted him.

There is some fantasy out there that he had this great stretch of 4 or 5 games when paired with Yandle, then since he was soooooooo amazing, AV benched him. All such a fallacy. Those 4 or 5 games produced less "suck" than his normal game, so all of a sudden he was this serviceable player. 29 other NHL teams said no - TWICE.....but our resident dump says otherwise. Seems logical.

ha ha I didnt know that lol...#10 pick down to the 7th D man for the farm team defense...yes...I didnt see the bobby Orr stretch ether
Rranger
Posted 2017-07-13 12:31 PM (#677968 - in reply to #677966)

All-Star

Mikey Red - 2017-07-13 11:26 AM

ha ha I didnt know that lol...#10 pick down to the 7th D man for the farm team defense...yes...I didnt see the bobby Orr stretch ether

Ah but he was far from a black ace. He played a big (pardon the pun) role.

http://www.mlive.com/griffins/index.ssf/2017/05/arrival_of_dyland_m...
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-07-13 12:34 PM (#677969 - in reply to #677968)

All-Star

Rranger - 2017-07-13 12:31 PM

Ha ha ha ha i spit my gatorade on myself a little
Rranger
Posted 2017-07-13 1:36 PM (#677975 - in reply to #677969)

All-Star

Mikey Red - 2017-07-13 11:34 AM

I didn't know Stella made Gatorade?
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-07-13 1:39 PM (#677976 - in reply to #677975)

All-Star

Rranger - 2017-07-13 1:36 PM

Mikey Red - 2017-07-13 11:34 AM

I didn't know Stella made Gatorade?

Lol I didnt know either
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software