Home Page
 OTG

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rangers sign goalie Alex Georgiev
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Rangers -> Winter Is ComingMessage format

robstones
Posted 2017-07-18 6:58 AM (#678098)
Subject: Rangers sign goalie Alex Georgiev

Legend

http://blueseatblogs.com/2017/07/18/scouting-alex-georgiev/

Been playing in Lilga Finnish elite league since he was 19, now 21 and a top starter there with a 1.7 GAA and .923 sv%

Competition for Halverson in Hartford. The article suggests that he is good enough to be 3rd string even. So if Lundqvist or Pavelec get injured, this guy sits the bench.

Allaire has his hands full this year

Edited by robstones 2017-07-18 7:02 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2017-07-18 7:27 AM (#678106 - in reply to #678098)
Subject: RE: Rangers sign goalie Alex Georgiev

Regular

I believe it's Georgijev. Rangers sure have a lot of talented goalies in their system. I know they have to have a replacement for Hank. However, at some point you would think they will use one in a deal to strengthen part of the current roster. Or perhaps to get a team to take Staal's salary. I don't see Staal not accepting a trade. IMO, he's going to be sitting in the stands half the games this season. Too many young kids on the left side that will take his job.
concust
Posted 2017-07-18 7:32 AM (#678107 - in reply to #678098)
Subject: Re: Rangers sign goalie Alex Georgiev

Legend

Yes, primarily a Hartford signing with good potential. Pretty happy with this signing especially after prospect camp. Don't underestimate this signing though, he's a young guy that has shown he can play in a pro league. Really nice piece to have.

It was just Halverson and Nell down in Hartford with Skapski and Hellberg gone, and I think Nell will be the odd man out. Halverson has been shaky in his 35 games of pro experience so getting someone who can play regularly/split time would be important. Georgiev has also played elite league so I'm expecting it'll be less of a transition for him.

Nell needs pro playing time so I'm guessing ECHL for him.
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-07-18 7:34 AM (#678108 - in reply to #678106)
Subject: RE: Rangers sign goalie Alex Georgiev

MVP

itsmcilrathtime - 2017-07-18 7:27 AM

I believe it's Georgijev. Rangers sure have a lot of talented goalies in their system. I know they have to have a replacement for Hank. However, at some point you would think they will use one in a deal to strengthen part of the current roster. Or perhaps to get a team to take Staal's salary. I don't see Staal not accepting a trade. IMO, he's going to be sitting in the stands half the games this season. Too many young kids on the left side that will take his job.

I hear where you are coming from and agree...but remember who the Coach is....Staals guaradian Angel...Yes make some deals ...we need centers ....Our Center lineup has 2 4's in it.
Blue404
Posted 2017-07-18 7:37 AM (#678109 - in reply to #678098)

Legend

Don't get your hopes high.
He will be threatening you with a return to KHL if things don't work out his way or his agent.
Never trust those soviets!The less if them in our team the better it is.
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-07-18 7:38 AM (#678110 - in reply to #678098)

MVP

Concust what info scouting etc... do you have about Halverson? What are his expectations
concust
Posted 2017-07-18 7:38 AM (#678111 - in reply to #678098)

Legend

Could also be "Georgiyev", cyrillic does not translate to latin alphabet perfectly. In cases like this I use whatever is on the official NYR website (i.e. Shesterkin vs Shestyorkin) but Georgiev does not have an entry on the official site yet.

FWIW it's listed as "Georgiev" when he played for Russia in the WJC in 2016.

Mikey Red
Posted 2017-07-18 7:39 AM (#678112 - in reply to #678109)

MVP

Blue404 - 2017-07-18 7:37 AM

He will be threatening you with a return to KHL if things don't work out his way or his agent.

Yep Blue....Make the Rangers Great Again
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-07-18 7:43 AM (#678113 - in reply to #678098)

MVP

If you put a good team out there you can win the SC with a less than elite Goalie...which has been proven many times...Chris Osgood has 3 Sc's
concust
Posted 2017-07-18 7:49 AM (#678114 - in reply to #678110)

Legend

Mikey Red - 2017-07-18 8:38 AM

Concust what info scouting etc... do you have about Halverson? What are his expectations

Too early to tell. He was shaky but he's only had 35 games of pro experience, and the bulk of that was behind a bad Hartford team.

He's a big goaltender and big goalies traditionally take longer to develop. But from what I understand he's a good technical goaltender that moves well for a kid his size (puts him a little ahead of the curve probably) but could really benefit from some pro-level coaching.

Nothing against him but at this point he's a distant second behind Shesterkin. I could even see Georgiev overtaking him this season until he gains some consistency. But that's why you always want young goalies in the system.
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-07-18 7:54 AM (#678115 - in reply to #678098)

MVP

Ah I hear ya...Yeah true...Playing with the Hartford scrubs is not a fair measuring stick lol.....Yep you can never have too many talented anythings
concust
Posted 2017-07-18 9:21 AM (#678122 - in reply to #678098)

Legend

I would give Halverson a full year, if not two, before re-evaluating his potential as a pro.

Hartford had a rough year last year, if Carey and Schneider can help with the scoring and the new coaching staff can establish some consistency and identity, they should be better this year. If they can get to mid-pack (no pun intended) then they'll be on the right track.
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-07-18 9:24 AM (#678124 - in reply to #678098)

MVP

Yep...It would be nice to know that we can eventually have a few guys that are going to be NHL'ers there...not forever minor leaguers
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2017-07-18 9:52 AM (#678126 - in reply to #678109)

Regular

Agree. However, Ruff is running the defense now. I honestly don't think he's going to let AV play Staal if he feels a kid is better. Ruff is a tough SOB. AV can say what he wants. He was put on notice with Ruff being hired. In other words, Gorton saw what the fans did. He was clueless with his defenseman decisions last year.
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2017-07-18 9:54 AM (#678127 - in reply to #678098)

Regular

I like Halverson. He always seems to adjust after a while to his new league. Lindberg was like that. I really don't know who will eventually replace Hank but I do think that player is in the system.
concust
Posted 2017-07-18 11:38 AM (#678128 - in reply to #678098)

Legend

With this signing I'd say the Rangers are among the top of the league in goalie prospects. Really glad they signed a kid with a few years in him rather than a 28 year old journeyman AHL goalie to platoon with Halverson.
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-07-18 12:07 PM (#678133 - in reply to #678098)

MVP

Concust I sure hope thats the case....Maybe Holden...if we can find him, Staaal...some kids minus Day...we can get better with a deal.......I want Trouba and we need another legit Center
robstones
Posted 2017-07-18 2:42 PM (#678139 - in reply to #678098)

Legend

He's not going back to the KHL because he's not from the KHL.

He's Russian, but he plays in Finland.
concust
Posted 2017-07-18 5:46 PM (#678147 - in reply to #678139)

Legend

robstones - 2017-07-18 3:42 PM

He's not going back to the KHL because he's not from the KHL.

He's Russian, but he plays in Finland.

Don't bother rob.

There's probably 75 russians in the AHL and NHL combined and according to some, every single one is threatening to go back to the KHL.

Remember back when the Rangers were the first team to put a Russian's name on the Stanley Cup? And not just one name, a fifth of their roster - Zubov, Nemchinov, Kovalev, Karpovtsev. Good times.
Rranger
Posted 2017-07-18 6:13 PM (#678149 - in reply to #678098)

All-Star

Well we are certainly optimistic about a guy that is another Allaire reach. A guy who's claim to fame is a backup in the Finish Elite League. It appears Allaire got his look at him during the development camp and gave the thumbs up. Why the holdup if he was so good, if he was going to start in Hartford? Halvorson played on a putrid Hartford team, facing men, and wasn't the problem. He got his rookie year over, and will be a more determined and mature goalie this season. Anybody selling Georgie's is or will be better should wait until he gets his taste of the AHL, if he makes Hartford.
robstones
Posted 2017-07-18 7:46 PM (#678152 - in reply to #678149)

Legend

Rranger - 2017-07-18 8:13 PM

Well we are certainly optimistic about a guy that is another Allaire reach. A guy who's claim to fame is a backup in the Finish Elite League. It appears Allaire got his look at him during the development camp and gave the thumbs up. Why the holdup if he was so good, if he was going to start in Hartford? Halvorson played on a putrid Hartford team, facing men, and wasn't the problem. He got his rookie year over, and will be a more determined and mature goalie this season. Anybody selling Georgie's is or will be better should wait until he gets his taste of the AHL, if he makes Hartford.

Because he's still young and hasn't played in NA

We also have a vet backup with a tradeable contract.

So this guy comes here. Shows what he has in camp and the AHL then go from there.

This backup happened to have the better stats than the starter
Rranger
Posted 2017-07-18 8:07 PM (#678155 - in reply to #678152)

All-Star

robstones - 2017-07-18 6:46 PM

Rranger - 2017-07-18 8:13 PM

Because he's still young and hasn't played in NA

We also have a vet backup with a tradeable contract.

So this guy comes here. Shows what he has in camp and the AHL then go from there.

This backup happened to have the better stats than the starter

Being young and hasn't played in NA isn't a advantage. He's only played 51 games in the "elite" league, over the last three years. Halvorson has 93 games of junior and 35 as a pro. You gain experience by playing not by watching. It's fine to be optimistic this guy is going to trip the light fantastic, but reality is he's probably going to stumble.
I'm not sure what your reference to a vet backup and a tradeable contract has to do with this kid besides nothing.
Yes he comes to camp and goes from there, that will be reality not assumptions.
And Raanta had better stats than Hank what's your stats point?
robstones
Posted 2017-07-18 8:51 PM (#678156 - in reply to #678098)

Legend

And now Raanta is the starter in Arizona....

I don't know anything about this guy. I've never seen him play.

His resume suggests he'll be splitting time with Halversson, as the article suggests.

Someone in the article who HAS seen him play says he's probably the new starter, tho. If he's better than Halversson... as advertised.... then he's the 3rd goalie in our pipeline.

That's not being "optimistic about a guy that is another Allaire reach."

This is what it is.
Rranger
Posted 2017-07-18 10:00 PM (#678157 - in reply to #678156)

All-Star

robstones - 2017-07-18 7:51 PM

And now Raanta is the starter in Arizona....

I don't know anything about this guy. I've never seen him play.

His resume suggests he'll be splitting time with Halversson, as the article suggests.

Someone in the article who HAS seen him play says he's probably the new starter, tho. If he's better than Halversson... as advertised.... then he's the 3rd goalie in our pipeline.

That's not being "optimistic about a guy that is another Allaire reach."

This is what it is.

Raanta had better stats than Lundqvist and now is going to Arizona to be the starter, then because Georgiev had better stats he will be the starter in a different and most would say a better league in Hartford? That's your point?
His resume gets his foot in the door his play does or doesn't keep him there.
The author says he hasn't seen him play enough to comment. Reality is he probably hasn't seen him play, maybe a game or two on tv, which does not give you much perspective.
Taking one writers baseless opinion and making the leap he's Hartfords starter is your prerogative. But they pick teams by what they do on the ice. To acclaim him the third best goalie, based on a amateur bloggers opinion, before he faces a shot in North America is laughable. You have to keep most of these articles in perspective. The Rangers still have some goaltending issues on the farm. Anyone in the organization thinking they can start the season with Halvorson and Georegiev carrying the load better have a backup plan. Because neither one has proven they can.
And he is a Allaire reach. The best ones are already long gone.

Edited by Rranger 2017-07-18 10:01 PM
concust
Posted 2017-07-19 5:01 AM (#678169 - in reply to #678098)

Legend

He'll probably split time with Halverson. He may be the "starter" meaning he might get more games, but it'll likely be a platoon situation. There's really no other option. With the departures of Skapski and Hellberg, and Lundqvist and Pavelec ahead of them, Hartford is going to be a combination of Nell, Halverson, Georgiev. Based on both resumes, and draft positions, I'd say it'll be Halverson and Georgiev in Hartford and Nell will get sent down to Greenville for a year.

As for "third best goalie" at this point he probably is, by default if anything. If Lundqvist or Pavelec go down to injury, they aren't going to call up Halverson to sit on the bench. It'll be Georgiev. This is basically the same idea the Rangers had when they traded for Hellberg 2 years ago - a guy who can play in Hartford while we develop younger goalies, and can step into a third string role for the NHL team if needed.

There's really very little to dislike about signing a 21-year old goaltender who can play in the AHL unless you just don't like that he's russian?

Rranger
Posted 2017-07-19 8:24 AM (#678171 - in reply to #678098)

All-Star

To say he is better than anybody is a opinion. Spin it any way you want. There is nothing to say Nell or Halvorson don't start and both play in Hartford. My point here is you two are placing this guy on the starter seat based on a lot of nothing. His game experience the last three years is very limited. To think hes going to go into Hartford and rattle off 50 games is a little overly optimistic.
And no where have I said I disliked the signing, so spare me your pathetic racism crap.

Edited by Rranger 2017-07-19 10:45 AM
RANGERNUT
Posted 2017-07-19 8:40 AM (#678172 - in reply to #678109)

All-Star

Really, AYFKM ....geezzz
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-07-19 9:41 AM (#678173 - in reply to #678172)

MVP

RANGERNUT - 2017-07-19 8:40 AM

Really, AYFKM ....geezzz

More Stellas for us !
concust
Posted 2017-07-20 6:01 AM (#678198 - in reply to #678171)

Legend

Rranger - 2017-07-19 9:24 AM

To say he is better than anybody is a opinion. Spin it any way you want. There is nothing to say Nell or Halvorson don't start and both play in Hartford. My point here is you two are placing this guy on the starter seat based on a lot of nothing. His game experience the last three years is very limited. To think hes going to go into Hartford and rattle off 50 games is a little overly optimistic.
And no where have I said I disliked the signing, so spare me your pathetic racism crap.

I didn't play in the starter seat, I said he'd platoon with Halverson. Halverson still has more upside but he has very little pro experience. Halverson is the one they ultimately develop - Georgiev gives them good young depth in the meantime.

Sure, any one of them could end up with 50 starts. Injuries especially. Pavelec might unseat Lundqvist in camp too! On paper though it's fairly straightforward to rank them. I'm not sure you could find anyone that would put Nell above Georgiev on a depth chart right now. But if that's your opinion, sure, go for it.

Rranger
Posted 2017-07-20 8:59 AM (#678201 - in reply to #678198)

All-Star

concust - 2017-07-20 5:01 AM

Rranger - 2017-07-19 9:24 AM

I didn't play in the starter seat, I said he'd platoon with Halverson. Halverson still has more upside but he has very little pro experience. Halverson is the one they ultimately develop - Georgiev gives them good young depth in the meantime.

Sure, any one of them could end up with 50 starts. Injuries especially. Pavelec might unseat Lundqvist in camp too! On paper though it's fairly straightforward to rank them. I'm not sure you could find anyone that would put Nell above Georgiev on a depth chart right now. But if that's your opinion, sure, go for it.

Anyone of the three could be the starter. Nell has over a 100 games of Top college hockey under his belt in the last three years. As usual you undersell him to. You called Georgiev the third best goalie, aka starter. You want to put them in a order with Georgiev and his 57 games over 3 seasons in a backup role probably playing against the weakest opponents, have at it. But keep it real and don't try to sell Georgiev as the more experienced goalie pro or otherwise. 16 more games over three seaons while Halvorson is playing a additional 93 games of junior doesn't cut it.

Edited by Rranger 2017-07-20 9:55 AM
robstones
Posted 2017-07-20 11:41 AM (#678204 - in reply to #678098)

Legend

I don't think anyone is selling him as anything other than the guy in the article

which....

Georgiev likely splits time with Halverson but gains most of the starts while Chris Nell spends a good chunk of time in the ECHL to begin his pro career as the case for most goalies.

Is what is expected.

Making him the 3rd or 4th

Edited by robstones 2017-07-20 11:44 AM
Rranger
Posted 2017-07-20 4:26 PM (#678205 - in reply to #678204)

All-Star

robstones - 2017-07-20 10:41 AM

I don't think anyone is selling him as anything other than the guy in the article

which....

Georgiev likely splits time with Halverson but gains most of the starts while Chris Nell spends a good chunk of time in the ECHL to begin his pro career as the case for most goalies.

Is what is expected.

You read a article by a blogger who's probably never seen any of them play and it's gospel. Wow.
robstones
Posted 2017-07-20 4:37 PM (#678206 - in reply to #678205)

Legend

Rranger - 2017-07-20 6:26 PM

robstones - 2017-07-20 10:41 AM

which....

Is what is expected.

You read a article by a blogger who's probably never seen any of them play and it's gospel. Wow.

Gospel? No.... It's not gospel, but after reading it, and gathering what else I can from him, it looks like he's at least going to be Halversson's backup...... The blogger, suggests Georgiev will get more starts, but we'll see.

Something tells me that The Rangers didn't sign this guy because he sucks.... they saw him, and liked him.

Regardless... whether he is the starter in Hartford or the backup..... that puts him at 3 or 4 on the depth chart.

wow.
Rranger
Posted 2017-07-20 7:24 PM (#678207 - in reply to #678098)

All-Star

Or 5,6,7 ect.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software