Home Page
 OTG

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

OFFICIAL: Rangers sign Zibanejad, 5 years $5.35m per
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [35 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Rangers -> Winter Is ComingMessage format

Mcphee
Posted 2017-08-02 10:57 AM (#678626 - in reply to #678624)
Subject: RE: OFFICIAL: Rangers sign Zibanejad, 5 years $5.35m per

Rookie

concust - 2017-08-02 12:01 PM

Mcphee - 2017-08-02 10:17 AM

If Allaire can't work wonders with Pavelec this year and Lundqvist is forced to play 60+ games again,he will probably be very tired come playoff time.

Where does this come from? All evidence shows that the more Lundqvist plays the better he is. Last year in the playoffs, he improved his numbers in the playoffs vs the regular season. This has been the case in every playoff in recent memory aside from the 5 games vs the Penguins 2 years ago. His numbers get better in the postseason, and yet somehow the narrative becomes "he's not a playoff performer".

So this "tired come playoff time" idea is completely unsupported unless you have some evidence to the contrary?

Please show where I said he is not a playoff performer.I never said it.I've been following hockey since the early 70's and have seen every workhorse goalie need to play less as they get older.Tony Esposito was the first one I noticed it with.You get older you don't recover as quickly from little dings.I thought Lundqvist was lights out and the reason we beat Montreal,his play also slipped against Ottawa and was a big contributer to the loss.It wasn't all because the defense was bad,ne let some softies in during that series.If you think he can play 70 games a season like he did when he was younger that's your opinion.You may get your chance to see that this year too.if Pavelec falters and Lundqvist doesn't get hurt.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mjolnir
Posted 2017-08-02 11:24 AM (#678627 - in reply to #678625)
Subject: Re: OFFICIAL: Rangers sign Zibanejad, 5 years $5.35m per

Legend

Mcphee - 2017-08-02 12:50 PM

Mjolnir - 2017-08-02 12:00 PM

Even in those d-first-shot blocking seasons, the one constant about the Rangers defense was their inability to keep players from camping in front of the crease and/or crashing the net (sometimes even crashing Henrik).

Maybe I'm missing something, but as far as I can see, they still have not addressed the issue.

I want that too,but there is no way in hell you are getting that type of defenseman on this team with this coach.certainly not a young player.Maybe if there is a veteran out there it would have a slight chance of happening.

I know that and you know that....and considering the helter-skelter nature of AV's "defensive system", I think you're going to see the same old, same old in the defensive end...much like the pitiful power play..
concust
Posted 2017-08-02 11:40 AM (#678628 - in reply to #678626)

Legend

Mcphee - 2017-08-02 11:57 AM

If Allaire can't work wonders with Pavelec this year and Lundqvist is forced to play 60+ games again,he will probably be very tired come playoff time.

Where does this come from? All evidence shows that the more Lundqvist plays the better he is. Last year in the playoffs, he improved his numbers in the playoffs vs the regular season. This has been the case in every playoff in recent memory aside from the 5 games vs the Penguins 2 years ago. His numbers get better in the postseason, and yet somehow the narrative becomes "he's not a playoff performer".

So this "tired come playoff time" idea is completely unsupported unless you have some evidence to the contrary?

Please show where I said he is not a playoff performer.I never said it.I've been following hockey since the early 70's and have seen every workhorse goalie need to play less as they get older.Tony Esposito was the first one I noticed it with.You get older you don't recover as quickly from little dings.I thought Lundqvist was lights out and the reason we beat Montreal,his play also slipped against Ottawa and was a big contributer to the loss.It wasn't all because the defense was bad,ne let some softies in during that series.If you think he can play 70 games a season like he did when he was younger that's your opinion.You may get your chance to see that this year too.if Pavelec falters and Lundqvist doesn't get hurt.

The implication that he will "be very tired come playoff time" is a direct implication that his play will slip because of that. And as I pointed out, there is no evidence of that, only to the contrary.

I'm not saying he can keep it up forever but there has been no indication that he "gets tired" during the playoffs so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until then. He's earned it.

Mjolnir
Posted 2017-08-02 11:49 AM (#678629 - in reply to #678628)
Subject: Re: OFFICIAL: Rangers sign Zibanejad, 5 years $5.35m per

Legend

The slippage is obvious, although not as drastic as some would have us believe. What worries me though are the little injuries we find out about after the season is over and/or those that occur while he's playing on Swedish team.
Mcphee
Posted 2017-08-02 12:54 PM (#678630 - in reply to #678628)

Rookie

concust - 2017-08-02 1:40 PM

Mcphee - 2017-08-02 11:57 AM

The implication that he will "be very tired come playoff time" is a direct implication that his play will slip because of that. And as I pointed out, there is no evidence of that, only to the contrary.

I'm not saying he can keep it up forever but there has been no indication that he "gets tired" during the playoffs so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until then. He's earned it.

He will be 36 before the playoffs this coming year.Unless he is not human he will need more time off now than he did when he was younger.I know how much quicker my body healed 12 years ago than it does now,be it a cut,bruise,pull whatever.Happens to all athletes in all sports.Last year against Ottawa 3 games out of 6 he had a save % under 85.that wasn't all due to bad play by his team.He crapped the bed a few times that series too.The only other time I remember him being that bad in the playoffs was the year before,and that year I don't blame him because we had no business being in the playoffs that year.

It's just natural that his skills will decline a little more as he ages.I don't wish for it,but it is normal.Like Mjolnir mentioned earlier,they don't have a guy that is a shutdown defenseman that clears the crease.It doesn't fit in with what this idioy behind the bench wants.Some of his decline is attributed to that,but that will not get any better.The coach needs to go.That is the number problem with this team.He doesn't maximize his players skills,he tries to make any player play the system AV wants.No flexibilty there whatsoever.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [35 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software