Home Page
 OTG

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A good start, but that job's not done...
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Rangers -> Winter Is ComingMessage format

Tyutin in the Staal
Posted 2018-02-26 8:06 PM (#698915)
Subject: A good start, but that job's not done...

Rookie

The rebuild that most of us have long been waiting for is finally underway. I have read with interest that many of the experts have placed the Rangers among the losers in the deadline sweeps. I don't agree, but I don't think Gorton hit it out of the park either. First the positives:

1. The haul for Holden was superb, indeed you might of though Gorts was "Holden" a gun to Sweeney's head...I couldn't resist.
2. The return for Grabner was disappointing. I think Grabner is actually better right now than Nash, but I'm not an NHL coach or GM, so... Let's hope this was done with a view to encourage Shestyorkin to come over with his mate. If so, then it's a good deal. Score an NHL player with the second round pick, home run.
3. Nash deal. Again, Gorton fleeced Sweeney in my view. Nash is a nice player, but the concussions and other injuries have taken their toll. He is no longer a dominant player, but who knows? Perhaps with an NHL center he may thrive with the B's. I wish him well, we certainly recovered solid assets.
4. McDonagh and Miller. Time will tell on this one. I'm glad Gorts moved McDonagh as he has hard miles on him and is becoming increasingly injury prone. I think Gorts sold as high as he could, he would not have done better during the summer. Too bad he had to give up Miller, but that tells me AV is safe. I have to think AV wanted Miller gone, even though he was one of the precious few Rangers with a little snarl in his game.

The negatives:

1. Did he try to deal Lunqvist? If not he should have. His value is only going to decrease as he heads into his late 30's carrying an obscene $8.5M cap hit - ouch! I know, Hank has a NTM, but if he not willing to move, then he must have taken too many pucks to the head. He's not winning a Cup in NY and I thought that was important to him. Rest easy Hank dreaming of a defense headlined by Tony D'Angelo and Jim O'Gara.
2. I know everyone loves Zucc, but I'd like to think Gorts could have secured another first round pick for him. Again, you're not getting more in the summer in my view.

A lot of people are whining about the fact that the two first round picks we picked up will be very late in the round. This noted, how nice would it be to have Anthony Beauvillier (our 2015 first round pick) and Josh Ho Sang (our 2014 first round pick) rather than the Islanders! Hopefully the scouting team will find a few gems, we cannot blow this. I must say, it's truly exciting to have three picks in the first round after have none for so many years.

Gorts, finish the job. Deal Lundqvist, Zucc and Staal, if you can find a taker before the draft. I would also consider moving Hayes, Vesey and Zib for the right packages. Hey, even Tony D'Angelo is not an untouchable in my view!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Beezer34
Posted 2018-02-26 8:23 PM (#698920 - in reply to #698915)
Subject: Re: A good start, but that job's not done...

All-Star

I think personally they did get a lot of THINGS... parts that all could be great.. we all may look back on today as the start of a dynasty the parts that got put in place make this team great for a decade... BUT here is the issue.

1) Picks are great but the Rangers have wasted higher first round pics on Jessiman and Montoya and Del Zotto etc.
2) The prospects were good but not great in Tampa they left a guy like Foote who should have been a prime target to get in return. I am not saying they might not blossom into NHLers.. I just think that they were not the high-end prospects you would like in return.
3) Players that came back Spooner and Namestnikov, look good on paper and might be decent NHLers.. but when you look at McDonough and Nash and Grabner and Miller going out you would think there would be a more solid name in return.

Basically, there is too much UNKNOWN in these deals.. the picks are not great..... but COULD be depending on who they get.. the prospects are not great .. but COULD be.. and they could ALL be NHLers soon... and the players they got COULD be good but Namestnikov, could be a Rob Brown type who plays with great players and benefits from being with good players... but in the end .. on their own... could just be decent players... The Rangers gave up known commodities for a lot of unknown.. when you add that many are RFA's and the Rangers have their own RFA's there is a lot again of unknowns.

But this is the team... this is the future and this is the new normal....

I think to best sum up the trades.. I do not think there is anyone in those deals that will end up on the jersey's on our backs anytime soon.
NYR # 1
Posted 2018-02-27 4:12 AM (#698932 - in reply to #698915)

Rookie

I have seen a lot of experts call the Rangers winners at the trade deadline:

Winners: New York Rangers

The Rangers traded three rentals -- Rick Nash, Michael Grabner and Nick Holden -- as well as captain Ryan McDonagh and center J.T. Miller. They did so after declaring they were purging the roster in an effort to rebuild and reload the team, having raised the white flag on the season.

Their haul: Forward Vladislav Namestnikov, 25, who has 123 points in 263 NHL games; center Ryan Spooner, 26, with 144 points in 254 NHL games; 20-year-old WHL defenseman Libor Hajek; 20-year-old KHL defenseman Yegor Rykov; 20-year-old NCAA defenseman Ryan Lindgren; 19-year-old WHL center Brett Howden; 24-year-old AHL prospect Rob O'Gara; the Tampa Bay Lightning's 2018 first-round pick; the Lightning's 2019 second-round pick, which becomes a first if they win the Stanley Cup in the next two seasons; the Boston Bruins' 2018 first-round pick; the New Jersey Devils' 2018 second-round pick; a 2018 third-round pick from Boston; and a 2019 seventh-round pick from the Bruins -- which is, of course, the key to everything.

Obviously, there's no telling how this will all pan out. But if you're rebuilding, there are some prime construction materials. It was a strong deadline showing for Rangers general manager Jeff Gorton.

NYR # 1
Posted 2018-02-27 4:28 AM (#698933 - in reply to #698915)

Rookie

You do realize that Hank came out and said he does not want to get dealt, will not get dealt, and loves being a Ranger right?

I also have zero issue with the Rangers keeping Zucc. He is a leader here and plays hard and leaves it all on the ice. I also wouldn't have an issue dealing him if we could get a big return for him, but if he is here next season that is fine to me.

As for making poor picks in the past, that means literally nothing to me. That was a different management team making those picks. That is not to say they will hit on every pick, they won't, but I don't care about what some other GM or lead scout did in the past.

I agree on the TB comment regarding they didn't deal their best two prospects to us. That is fair and bothers me as well, but I have also read up on the two guys we did get and they are both solid prospects, especially the Czech dman who has very good upside to maybe be a top pair guy or worst case a top 2nd pair guy.

I also think you overrate what return you'd get for UFA's to be in Nash and Grabner. We are not getting top level current or about to be top NHL players for rentals. The Nash deal was a steal for us. And to knock the Grabner trade makes me laugh also. Only thing I don't love is dealing with the rival Devs, but outside of that how could you knock that return for Grabner. He was great here, but he does have 7 empty net goals and like 4 assists. And the Rangers are high on the Russian dman they got in the deal as well. That is a win to me even though I don't love dealing with the Devs for the first time ever.

To me the TB trade is the only one you can say let me think about that one more. Not sure I love it, but we did get a good haul for the future. A 1st, a 2nd (which could be a 1st), Name (who is solid), and two kids who Gorton likes a lot and seem to be solid prospects. So it is difficult to kill anyone, and truthfully the time to deal McDonagh was now not at the draft. And BTW...Miller has ONE...yes ONE...goal in 40 playoff games...ONE.

To sum up, no doubt we need to hit on 4 or 5 of the 7 picks we have in rounds 1-3 this year to make it all worthwhile, but I will give Clark the benefit of the doubt to do so. Time will tell, but when you look at it holistically the return is pretty impressive with regards to the sheer volume of potential impactful pieces we received. Good job overall by Gorton I believe.

As a side note...interesting to me how the Rangers were killed for dealing picks in the 20's. Now they add some and they are not great picks. Have to love it....

robstones
Posted 2018-02-27 6:20 AM (#698939 - in reply to #698915)

Legend

We drafted McIlrath in the 1st round. We drafted Jessiman.....

But we also drafted

Skjei
Miller
Kreider
Andersson
Chytil

Cherepanov was going to be amazing

You judge them on Del Zotto, I guess, but I'll judge them on Skjei

In the end, this is why it's good to get as many picks as possible! We have THREE 1st rounders this year!!! Some will be NHLers, some won't..... it's a crap shoot, and we have 10 rolls. I like our odds
mpcelo45
Posted 2018-02-27 6:46 AM (#698942 - in reply to #698915)

All-Star

I keep seeing people comment on JT Miller's playoff output......has anyone seen Namestnikov's output.....29GP, 1G, 3A, 4PTS.......all while playing on the top line with Stamkos/Johnson/Kucherov.

I feel like currently, i am in a holding pattern with regards to the trade deadline deals. If anything I am most upset with Miller going the other way. Miller was streaky and inconsistent but I truly believe that is due to the coaching style of AV.

I am excited about the picks but trying to contain that excitement, knowing the Rangers they might try and trade those pics for another long-term veteran.

My biggest fear is that AV is still in the fold, he may be here next year and that scares the living S*** out of me.

I really hope Gorton has a defined plan to retool and rebuild, which generally includes a new coach and vision.
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-02-27 6:48 AM (#698943 - in reply to #698915)

Legend

Rangers did great... we got 15 assets for 5 guys.....And we are not nearly done....Zib, Zuc, Kreider can and should be for sale in June....We have a lottery pick....We got options....Maybe Henrik stops being selfish and changes his mind
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-02-27 6:54 AM (#698944 - in reply to #698915)

Legend

Nash had 28 points and was making 8 mil....and we got 5 pieces for him.....I like Miller but he is so inconsistent...he is a bottom 9 forward....Mac is not nearly the same player he was in 2014 ....He is in the beginning stages of broken down old man...Grabner spent many games on the 4th line....and the fact we got usable parts for Holden is amazing

Edited by Mikey Red 2018-02-27 7:07 AM
NYR # 1
Posted 2018-02-27 6:58 AM (#698945 - in reply to #698915)

Rookie

No doubt Name has struggled in the playoffs as well, but the point on Miller is we aren't giving up some stud guy who has torn it up in big spots. I am a huge Miller fan, but he has been inconsistent on the ice and mentally. That's the way it has been. Maybe that changes with less pressure and a new coach, but up until now that's what he has been. And BTW...I rather have Miller than Name, so I am not really even comparing them and if I did I would give the edge to Miller.

Mikey Red
Posted 2018-02-27 7:10 AM (#698949 - in reply to #698915)

Legend

Im not worried about Miller....For all his good...He is a bottom 9 Forward....turnover machine....attitude problem...Lighting did great for today... we did great for our future. We have a chance to build a team that can compete for several years instead of trying to get 38 year old MSL for Cally and 2 #1's etc...
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-02-27 7:51 AM (#698950 - in reply to #698949)

Legend

Options! Hey Calgary and Winnipeg....you guys interested in Zib, Zuc or Kreider ? You guys want to get back into the 1st round? Do You have a contract you want to Lose? Let’s talk
Ranjaz023
Posted 2018-02-27 8:04 AM (#698952 - in reply to #698915)

All-Star

5 first rounders in the last 2 years. A haul of guys highly drafted. They will be ok.

There could be a soft spot in the East once the Rangers are good again. WAS, TAM, PIT will be older and where we are now. BOS is kind of a wild card. Can't count on the NYI doing anything smart with their franchise. NJ and TOR seem like the only teams that reasonably will be good in the next few years.
LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2018-02-27 8:57 AM (#698957 - in reply to #698915)

All-Star

I think more moves coming after playoffs & before/during draft.
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-02-27 9:03 AM (#698958 - in reply to #698957)

Legend

LeetchyMrRanger - 2018-02-27 10:57 AM

I think more moves coming after playoffs & before/during draft.

Yep...Kreider, Zib, Zuc....good bye
x10003q
Posted 2018-02-27 9:04 AM (#698959 - in reply to #698950)

MVP

Mikey Red - 2018-02-27 9:51 AM

Options! Hey Calgary and Winnipeg....you guys interested in Zib, Zuc or Kreider ? You guys want to get back into the 1st round? Do You have a contract you want to Lose? Let’s talk

Come on now, you still need to put some NHL talent on the ice. Picks are mostly going to show up a season or 2 or 3 down the road. The Rangers will have a bunch of money to offer some talent and the talent will not come here to play with an AHL team and a pack of 3rd and 4th liners.
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-02-27 9:51 AM (#698969 - in reply to #698959)

Legend

x10003q - 2018-02-27 11:04 AM

Mikey Red - 2018-02-27 9:51 AM

Come on now, you still need to put some NHL talent on the ice. Picks are mostly going to show up a season or 2 or 3 down the road. The Rangers will have a bunch of money to offer some talent and the talent will not come here to play with an AHL team and a pack of 3rd and 4th liners.

You want to keep those guys? I sure as hell dont...I dont care if we go 0-82 next year....Its for the greater good....Who says we cant get NHL legit guys for them at the draft?
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-02-27 10:19 AM (#698972 - in reply to #698915)

Legend

Kovalchuk will be a Ranger next year...Perhaps Grabner or Nash too....Spoons, Names, Vesey, Hayes, Albert i guess, Buch, Letteiri will be around.....ABSOLUTELY sell Kreider, Zuc and Zib
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-02-27 10:23 AM (#698974 - in reply to #698915)

Legend

And No way AV is the Coach next year
LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2018-02-27 11:30 AM (#698981 - in reply to #698915)

All-Star

No thank you to Kovy, & I was a big fan. I believe Nash &/or Grabs will come back. It is ai real possibility.
Andy Bathgate
Posted 2018-02-27 2:42 PM (#698986 - in reply to #698942)

Legend

mpcelo45 - 2018-02-27 8:46 AM

My biggest fear is that AV is still in the fold, he may be here next year and that scares the living S*** out of me.

I hope not, me and the sons have boycotted watching anymore Ranger games while AV is coach, that would be a real challenge for next year.

Beezer34
Posted 2018-02-27 3:29 PM (#698994 - in reply to #698945)

All-Star

NYR # 1 - 2018-02-26 10:58 PM

No doubt Name has struggled in the playoffs as well, but the point on Miller is we aren't giving up some stud guy who has torn it up in big spots. I am a huge Miller fan, but he has been inconsistent on the ice and mentally. That's the way it has been. Maybe that changes with less pressure and a new coach, but up until now that's what he has been. And BTW...I rather have Miller than Name, so I am not really even comparing them and if I did I would give the edge to Miller.

I think I feel the same .. but I tip toward Miller because I think Miller with Stamkos and Kucherov does more... When Miller has played with less talented people he is second in scoring and yes done NOTHING in the play offs... but I think at 24 it was too soon to give up.
Beezer34
Posted 2018-02-27 3:34 PM (#698995 - in reply to #698944)

All-Star

Mikey Red - 2018-02-26 10:54 PM

Nash had 28 points and was making 8 mil....and we got 5 pieces for him.....I like Miller but he is so inconsistent...he is a bottom 9 forward....Mac is not nearly the same player he was in 2014 ....He is in the beginning stages of broken down old man...Grabner spent many games on the 4th line....and the fact we got usable parts for Holden is amazing

I agree that Nash was a very good deal.. and Grabner the same he has a lot of empty net goals so on paper better than he is so both solid deals same with Holden .. all the rentals I see and agree.. I agree trading him now rather than at the draft you get moer..but calling McDonagh broken down at 28... or even starting is tough... he is a guy who has 5 more good years in him and closer to 7. I think you extend his career in Tampa in that he now plays 2nd pair minutes and plays 20 not 25 minutes a game. I am really pulling for Tampa now.. because they win the cup that2nd turns into a first and I would love 2 firsts next year and if Gorton deals Zib, or Zucc.. or Kreider.. I would expect 1sts for all them..

And I think when you look that Tampa has McDonagh,Stralman,and Girardi.. they just need to sign Klein and you might have the best Ranger D in the past 20 years... lol..
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-02-27 4:18 PM (#698997 - in reply to #698995)

Legend

Beezer34 - 2018-02-27 5:34 PM

Mikey Red - 2018-02-26 10:54 PM

I agree that Nash was a very good deal.. and Grabner the same he has a lot of empty net goals so on paper better than he is so both solid deals same with Holden .. all the rentals I see and agree.. I agree trading him now rather than at the draft you get moer..but calling McDonagh broken down at 28... or even starting is tough... he is a guy who has 5 more good years in him and closer to 7. I think you extend his career in Tampa in that he now plays 2nd pair minutes and plays 20 not 25 minutes a game. I am really pulling for Tampa now.. because they win the cup that2nd turns into a first and I would love 2 firsts next year and if Gorton deals Zib, or Zucc.. or Kreider.. I would expect 1sts for all them..

And I think when you look that Tampa has McDonagh,Stralman,and Girardi.. they just need to sign Klein and you might have the best Ranger D in the past 20 years... lol..

I hear ya...Ive looked on all the other sites and most people think we traded Paul Coffey away......Mac hasnt been an elite D man for years...just hasnt...and he has been bugged with injuries for a while now
Rranger
Posted 2018-02-27 4:18 PM (#698998 - in reply to #698986)

All-Star

Andy Bathgate - 2018-02-27 1:42 PM

I hope not, me and the sons have boycotted watching anymore Ranger games while AV is coach, that would be a real challenge for next year.

I hate to say it but I can see a Gorton spiel coming soon that chewy deserves a chance to coach next season, that he’s done a wonderful job of handling all the adversity, and he’s earned it. Wouldn’t suprise me one bit with some of the recent goings on.
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-02-27 4:22 PM (#698999 - in reply to #698998)

Legend

Rranger - 2018-02-27 6:18 PM

I hate to say it but I can see a Gorton spiel coming soon that chewy deserves a chance to coach next season, that he’s done a wonderful job of handling all the adversity, and he’s earned it. Wouldn’t suprise me one bit with some of the recent goings on.

Rranger
Posted 2018-02-27 4:44 PM (#699000 - in reply to #698999)

All-Star

Mikey Red - 2018-02-27 3:22 PM

I got a bad vibe about this Mikey. Usually news outlets would be all over his blunders but you hear nothing. Brooks may as well be his press agent. Very very little criticism. He’s got every excuse in the book to lose every remaining game and receive no blame. All the blame going instead to the roster upheaval, and some blame should, instead of his job performance. And he’s going to play the blame game all the way into next season. If they were going to dump him Now is the time. If they didn’t like his game plans, execution, and his players performance, all talked at on here to the point of puking, why would they keep him around to continue spewing his pathetic message to the new players? Why not let Arniel mop up if they are going to get rid of him? Because they are not.
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-02-27 5:24 PM (#699003 - in reply to #699000)

Legend

Rranger - 2018-02-27 6:44 PM

Mikey Red - 2018-02-27 3:22 PM

I got a bad vibe about this Mikey. Usually news outlets would be all over his blunders but you hear nothing. Brooks may as well be his press agent. Very very little criticism. He’s got every excuse in the book to lose every remaining game and receive no blame. All the blame going instead to the roster upheaval, and some blame should, instead of his job performance. And he’s going to play the blame game all the way into next season. If they were going to dump him Now is the time. If they didn’t like his game plans, execution, and his players performance, all talked at on here to the point of puking, why would they keep him around to continue spewing his pathetic message to the new players? Why not let Arniel mop up if they are going to get rid of him? Because they are not.

Yep totally man....God I hope not....I hope Jeff sees it and TB wins with our guys so he can ask AV how come you couldnt do that?
NYR # 1
Posted 2018-02-27 5:54 PM (#699006 - in reply to #698915)

Rookie

Gorton on AV today (I just don't see him back):

On Alain Vigneault, "we have 18-19 games to go, like I said when we talked about what were going to do, AV is a good coach, he has been a really good coach here, a good guy, knows the game, how to play. We will sit down at the end of the year and talk about where this is going and get his input find out what he wants to do and if he is a fit and go from there."

On Vigneault, Gorton said that there has been zero time to think about it. He will sit down with Vigneault at the end of the year and figure out if he will be part of it.

"To be perfectly honest, I haven't really thought about whether AV will be here or not."

Mikey Red
Posted 2018-02-27 7:41 PM (#699013 - in reply to #699006)

Legend

NYR # 1 - 2018-02-27 7:54 PM

Gorton on AV today (I just don't see him back):

On Alain Vigneault, "we have 18-19 games to go, like I said when we talked about what were going to do, AV is a good coach, he has been a really good coach here, a good guy, knows the game, how to play. We will sit down at the end of the year and talk about where this is going and get his input find out what he wants to do and if he is a fit and go from there."

On Vigneault, Gorton said that there has been zero time to think about it. He will sit down with Vigneault at the end of the year and figure out if he will be part of it.

"To be perfectly honest, I haven't really thought about whether AV will be here or not."

He is a goner......sounds like he wanted to do it already
Andy Bathgate
Posted 2018-02-27 7:49 PM (#699014 - in reply to #699006)

Legend

Gorton on AV today

Can that even be possible... haven’t even thought whether AV will be here or not? Maybe while walking his dog, taken a crap, a long plane flight starring out the window, right before bed... or while watching a Ranger game seeing his team incredibly under perform... the THOUGHT! Of AV being here next year Has not crossed his mind?

Mikey Red
Posted 2018-02-27 7:52 PM (#699015 - in reply to #698915)

Legend

And I absolutely don't want to hear Messier for the job
Rranger
Posted 2018-02-27 11:23 PM (#699024 - in reply to #699014)

All-Star

Andy Bathgate - 2018-02-27 6:49 PM

Gorton on AV today

Can that even be possible... haven’t even thought whether AV will be here or not? Maybe while walking his dog, taken a crap, a long plane flight starring out the window, right before bed... or while watching a Ranger game seeing his team incredibly under perform... the THOUGHT! Of AV being here next year Has not crossed his mind?

Lol great post. It was a incredulous statement by Gorton. What’s ridiculous is the interviewers let him off the hook on that whopper. I don’t see what keeping him till the end of the year accomplishes if Gorton plans on firing him. Why would you want him around watching the team continue to decompose right in front of you. Makes no sense unless they are keeping chewy, or it’s a last gasp assessment of his handling the last part of the season, meaning a good show on his end saves his job, he craps the bed and he’s gone.
NYR # 1
Posted 2018-02-28 4:02 AM (#699025 - in reply to #698915)

Rookie

I guess I'll reverse that and say I don't see what getting rid of him by the end of the year really accomplishes. Less than 20 games left, losing is the absolute best result for this team, is making Ruff an interim for 20 games really going to matter when the whole staff will be new next season?

I just don't think it matters at this point, so let him finish the season, and he will be 100% gone shortly after the season ends. I don't see the issue with that given where this AHL team is right now.

Edit to add: of course keeping AV gives something for everyone to go back and forth on for the next couple of months. If he was fired now instead of in April what would we talk about, so thanks Gorton....

Edited by NYR # 1 2018-02-28 6:18 AM
walter t
Posted 2018-02-28 5:20 AM (#699026 - in reply to #698915)

Prospect

I'm probably in the minority but I don't see Zibby or Kreider being traded. And though I'd be fine with it if it did happen I don't see anyone wanting Zibby and his big contract.
robstones
Posted 2018-02-28 6:43 AM (#699029 - in reply to #698915)

Legend

I underestimated the return we got with Libor Hajek

He's our new top defensive prospect. Hands down
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software