Home Page
 OTG

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Summer Thread: Trades - Entry Draft - Free Agent Signings
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... >
Now viewing page 6 [35 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Rangers -> Winter Is ComingMessage format

Mjolnir
Posted 2018-06-29 8:24 AM (#707422 - in reply to #707420)
Subject: Re: Summer Thread: Trades - Entry Draft - Free Agent Signings

Legend

Mikey Red - 2018-06-29 10:09 AM

Killorn has a NTC....Hell No on Johnson...too small...If we are going to help TB get Tavares...then the pot has to be sweet

Conversation is probably moot. Just saw this: "It’s out there that his favored destinations are the Islanders, Leafs, and Sharks." Personally, there isn't anyone on TB that would interest me enough to take on a weighty contract.

Edited by Mjolnir 2018-06-29 8:25 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-06-29 8:28 AM (#707423 - in reply to #707422)

Legend

Mjolnir - 2018-06-29 10:24 AM

Killorn has a NTC....Hell No on Johnson...too small...If we are going to help TB get Tavares...then the pot has to be sweet

Conversation is probably moot. Just saw this: "It’s out there that his favored destinations are the Islanders, Leafs, and Sharks." Personally, there isn't anyone on TB that would interest me enough to take on a weighty contract.

sureshore
Posted 2018-06-29 8:50 AM (#707424 - in reply to #707420)

All-Star

He may have a NTC, but I'm not making this stuff up

https://www.nhl.com/news/john-tavares-signing-would-force-tampa-bay-...
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-06-29 8:56 AM (#707425 - in reply to #706448)

Legend

I would love Tavares to go there and win the SC next year....but if we get only Johnson back then Gorton is a bad GM and we are screwed
sureshore
Posted 2018-06-29 9:31 AM (#707427 - in reply to #707422)

All-Star

And I did watch interview with front office guy from San Jose on NHL Network last night and he sounded pretty confident that Tavares could be landing there. So yeah - Lightning may be out of the running.

My point in earlier post with regard to TB was only in response to the example of picking up Callahan's contract - would rather pick up Killorn if a) Tavares goes to TB and b) The Rangers decide to 'help out' a team keeping Tavares away from the Isles.
concust
Posted 2018-06-29 10:11 AM (#707428 - in reply to #707419)

Legend

sureshore - 2018-06-29 8:45 AM

With regards to TB and picking up a contract (or 2) if they sign Tavares, a couple of contracts they may be looking to move are Tyler Johnson and Alex Killorn. Think I'd much rather have Killorn than Callahan, even if his contract has 5 years left at 4.45 per AAV. Plays hard, can PK and is also a pain in the butt every time the Rangers play them. still just 28yo so could be part of the rebuild at a controlled amount.

Johnson - think I'd stay away. His contract is a year longer at 5.0 per AAV and while a year younger, his numbers are trending downward already. Also, while Killorn is 6'1, 200lbs, Johnson is 5'8, 180ish.

Not sure they'd send a draft pick along too, but Killorn could also be that character guy/mentor they're looking for as well.

JMHO

The whole point is to take on TB's worst contract, the least efficient one when you look at on-ice performance vs cap hit, which at this point is almost definitely Callahan's. That's how you get the most value in return from them. I don't have a problem with either Killorn or Johnson but they're not significantly overpaid so TB would not be motivated to make those moves. Or, we'd get less (which misses the whole point of taking on a bad contract)
ej17
Posted 2018-06-29 10:36 AM (#707429 - in reply to #707427)

All-Star

sureshore - 2018-06-29 11:31 AM

And I did watch interview with front office guy from San Jose on NHL Network last night and he sounded pretty confident that Tavares could be landing there. So yeah - Lightning may be out of the running.

My point in earlier post with regard to TB was only in response to the example of picking up Callahan's contract - would rather pick up Killorn if a) Tavares goes to TB and b) The Rangers decide to 'help out' a team keeping Tavares away from the Isles.

Hope he stays with the Asslanders, let them tie up a bunch of years and money on 1 player...All for that
Mjolnir
Posted 2018-06-29 10:49 AM (#707430 - in reply to #707428)

Legend

concust - 2018-06-29 12:11 PM

With regards to TB and picking up a contract (or 2) if they sign Tavares, a couple of contracts they may be looking to move are Tyler Johnson and Alex Killorn. Think I'd much rather have Killorn than Callahan, even if his contract has 5 years left at 4.45 per AAV. Plays hard, can PK and is also a pain in the butt every time the Rangers play them. still just 28yo so could be part of the rebuild at a controlled amount.

Johnson - think I'd stay away. His contract is a year longer at 5.0 per AAV and while a year younger, his numbers are trending downward already. Also, while Killorn is 6'1, 200lbs, Johnson is 5'8, 180ish.

Not sure they'd send a draft pick along too, but Killorn could also be that character guy/mentor they're looking for as well.

JMHO

The whole point is to take on TB's worst contract, the least efficient one when you look at on-ice performance vs cap hit, which at this point is almost definitely Callahan's. That's how you get the most value in return from them. I don't have a problem with either Killorn or Johnson but they're not significantly overpaid so TB would not be motivated to make those moves. Or, we'd get less (which misses the whole point of taking on a bad contract)
The bad contract isn't really the question -- you can dump that player in the minors and forget about it. the real concern is what you get in return for taking the contract.
concust
Posted 2018-06-29 11:14 AM (#707432 - in reply to #707430)

Legend

Mjolnir - 2018-06-29 11:49 AM

JMHO

The bad contract isn't really the question -- you can dump that player in the minors and forget about it. the real concern is what you get in return for taking the contract.

Right... and the worse of a contract you take (Callahan) the better the return should be, versus taking on Killorn's contract.
concust
Posted 2018-06-29 11:17 AM (#707433 - in reply to #706448)

Legend

It's been reported that JT has said something like, he doesn't feel loyalty to the new team management (Lou, Trotz) like he felt loyalty to the old team that he made promises to (Snow, Weight)

Islander fans are incensed that JT would have any loyalty to Snow. They're ready to run him out of town.

IMO he's laying the groundwork for leaving and they're playing right into his hands.
LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2018-06-29 11:37 AM (#707434 - in reply to #706448)

All-Star

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/rick-nash-takes-step-back-fro...
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-06-29 6:37 PM (#707448 - in reply to #706448)

Legend

Larry Brooks
?

@NYP_Brooksie
4h4 hours ago
More
Rangers have not been directly told as much, but aware that Ryan Reaves is no longer a free agent option. Time for Plan B/C/D.

52 replies 56 retweets 141 likes
Reply 52 Retweet 56 Like 141
Go NYR
Posted 2018-06-29 7:12 PM (#707450 - in reply to #706448)

Rookie

Sounds like Reaves is staying in Vegas. I have to admit, if that is our plan A we are in play for the # 1 pick for sure next season. Reaves would have added some toughness and grit, but is it really a big deal a 4th line grinder isn't signing with us? Again if it is it's going to be a LONG season for us.

robstones
Posted 2018-06-29 7:29 PM (#707451 - in reply to #706448)

Legend

I really think we're getting JVR. Not just because I want him here. Not just because he grew up a Rangers fan.... like a die hard Rangers fan, my buddy use to play with him when we were teenagers..... But because he makes sense for what we're trying to do. His play style fits Quinn to a T, from what I've read about it....

He's young enough that if he wants to win a Cup here, he can work towards that during the length of his contract.... the rebuild should scare him.

He's old enough to be considered a mentor/vet.... so to top off the dream of being a NYR, he may even get a letter on his sweater....

And we have the cap space to pay him what he wants/deserves on the open market.

JVR has character.... right? I think so...
Rranger
Posted 2018-06-29 7:58 PM (#707453 - in reply to #706448)

MVP

I’m not sure I get where getting rid of Zuccarello and then adding JVR makes much sense. Zucc is 2 years older but he produces points at a slightly better clip, and IMO is captain material. He’s been a good Ranger who shows up every night and I don’t see much advantage to JVR basically replacing him. I wouldn’t be at all suprised Zuccarello plays some of his best Ranger hockey under Quinn, as long as Quinn realizes Zuccarello’s game still has upside undeveloped by the previous resident goof.
Assuming a contract isn’t a issue I’d take Zuccarello over JVR, because of his leadership and character and the respect he commands. I think he looks around the room in training camp and he will step up in a big way and lead, and as I said earlier will have his best year as a Ranger.
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-06-29 8:03 PM (#707454 - in reply to #706448)

Legend

I gotta admit...Zuc passes just way way too much it drives me crazy
Rranger
Posted 2018-06-29 8:13 PM (#707457 - in reply to #707448)

MVP

Mikey Red - 2018-06-29 5:37 PM

Larry Brooks
?

@NYP_Brooksie
4h4 hours ago
More
Rangers have not been directly told as much, but aware that Ryan Reaves is no longer a free agent option. Time for Plan B/C/D.

Not the end of the world. Trade for Lucic and Jesse Puljujarvi, for Brendan Smith and a fifth. Edmonton would kill to get rid of that deal, Lucic just needs out of there and find his game in a hard to play against team mode the Rangers are pursuing. Plus he will mash any and all transgressors. You can always figure out a way to dump him in three years if you need to. Puljujarvi has been a borderline bust and could also use a new address. Chiarelli has proven he’s not exactly the sharpest tack in the box so you never know what you might get out of him.
Lucic is far from done he just needs a new start. He’s got three or four decent years left and can actually play a little.
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-06-29 8:27 PM (#707459 - in reply to #707457)

Legend

Rranger - 2018-06-29 10:13 PM

Larry Brooks
?

@NYP_Brooksie
4h4 hours ago
More

Not the end of the world. Trade for Lucic and Jesse Puljujarvi, for Brendan Smith and a fifth. Edmonton would kill to get rid of that deal, Lucic just needs out of there and find his game in a hard to play against team mode the Rangers are pursuing. Plus he will mash any and all transgressors. You can always figure out a way to dump him in three years if you need to. Puljujarvi has been a borderline bust and could also use a new address. Chiarelli has proven he’s not exactly the sharpest tack in the box so you never know what you might get out of him.
Lucic is far from done he just needs a new start. He’s got three or four decent years left and can actually play a little.

Yep I agree...Id even try for RNH too
Rranger
Posted 2018-06-29 8:28 PM (#707460 - in reply to #707454)

MVP

Mikey Red - 2018-06-29 7:03 PM

I gotta admit...Zuc passes just way way too much it drives me crazy

I agree he could shoot more, and if the Rangers brass agrees, that should be in the notes about players passed onto Quinn to use as he analyses game tapes seeing what he’s got. It’s a given Quinn has to educate himself about what he’s got by watching game tapes and you can bet management provides him with a book of info on their players. It’s how it’s done in lessor leagues. Quinn will soon know if he and management are on the same player assessment page after comparing his views on the game tapes to managements player reports.
I have a lot of hopes Quinn is actually going to work on players shortcomings, weaknesses, and bad habits instead of ignoring them and eventually getting rid of them because they couldn’t find their game on their own. Getting Zucc to shoot more isn’t rocket science if the player accepts the observation and coaches work with him to address it.
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-06-29 8:34 PM (#707461 - in reply to #706448)

Legend

If you look at cap friendly...it has 13 Forwards listed with us....Holland, McCleod, Carey are 3 of them....so that leaves 10 F's not including any of our kids
Rranger
Posted 2018-06-29 8:43 PM (#707462 - in reply to #707459)

MVP

Mikey Red - 2018-06-29 7:27 PM

Rranger - 2018-06-29 10:13 PM

Larry Brooks
?

@NYP_Brooksie
4h4 hours ago
More

Yep I agree...Id even try for RNH too

I don’t know about RNH at 6 mill per year your adding $12,000,000 between him and Lucic that’s a lot of cap. RNH adds to the center conundrum even though he has played some wing, but he cuts into Chytil in particulars presumed position by being the same type of player. I think you have a better chance with Puljujarvi’s potential over RNH who has probably almost topped out as a piece of a team with no expectation of him ever becoming a key piece. Puljujarvi oozes talent watch him play, there must be a thing between him and coach and it happens, he’s definitely worth a shot if the Rangers could ever pry him out of there.
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-06-29 8:51 PM (#707464 - in reply to #706448)

Legend

I guess if I was able to pull off RNH...I would look to move Zib or Hayes for a stud D....but A big kid at 20 would be nice too
Rranger
Posted 2018-06-29 10:12 PM (#707465 - in reply to #707464)

MVP

Mikey Red - 2018-06-29 7:51 PM

I guess if I was able to pull off RNH...I would look to move Zib or Hayes for a stud D....but A big kid at 20 would be nice too

I hear you but I’m not sure RNH is a big improvement over Hayes maybe Zib, I think it’s a stretch to get him and Lucic without giving up something more significant than Smith. Losing Sniths cap is a win in itself and substantially cuts down the Lucic hit. The Rangers would be in better shape with Lucic’s Cap hit especially if the loss of Smith’s cap reduces the Lucic’s hit. And a guy like Puljujarvi just might take off. If Edmonton wants to move Lucic and really feels the need it might be one of the better opportunities for Gorton to get something good back and Lucic is not done either. Plus the Rangers need a guy like that can ride shotgun and play a little.

Edited by Rranger 2018-06-29 10:24 PM
Go NYR
Posted 2018-06-30 5:01 AM (#707467 - in reply to #707430)

Rookie

Mjolnir - 2018-06-29 10:49 AM

JMHO

You can only bury 900 K or so of a contract in the minors. Anything above that stays on the NHL cap. So a player with a 4.9 mill cap hit still counts for 4 mill against the NHL cap even in the minors. Plus if the player has a NMC you cannot send them down without their okay.

So in today's NHL burying them in the minors does not work.

Go NYR
Posted 2018-06-30 5:04 AM (#707468 - in reply to #706448)

Rookie

I wouldn't mind it, but nothing I have seen tells me we are going to sign a UFA to the kind of deal it will take to get JVR. For that reason alone I'd be pretty surprised if we added him. If we did though I would think about keeping Zucc to start the season and see where that goes. The issue is we need D badly to have any sort of decent team this upcoming season.

Logic still says that Name or Spoon gets dealt. And Hayes or Zib gets dealt.

Go NYR
Posted 2018-06-30 5:12 AM (#707469 - in reply to #706448)

Rookie

BTW...I think the Doughty contract is insane. Nearly an 11 mill cap hit until he is 37. That is so crazy. I also think if Doughty really wanted to win maybe he'd take a little less, like 9 mill per +/-.

Mjolnir
Posted 2018-06-30 6:20 AM (#707471 - in reply to #707467)

Legend

Go NYR - 2018-06-30 7:01 AM

JMHO

You can only bury 900 K or so of a contract in the minors. Anything above that stays on the NHL cap. So a player with a 4.9 mill cap hit still counts for 4 mill against the NHL cap even in the minors. Plus if the player has a NMC you cannot send them down without their okay.

I know how much you can bury in the minors....taking on a bad contract does not mean you have to give that player a roster spot.
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-06-30 7:07 AM (#707472 - in reply to #707469)

Legend

Go NYR - 2018-06-30 7:12 AM

BTW...I think the Doughty contract is insane. Nearly an 11 mill cap hit until he is 37. That is so crazy. I also think if Doughty really wanted to win maybe he'd take a little less, like 9 mill per +/-.

That contract is pure stupidity....That is the reason you had to trade MacDonagh....That is why the Isles should of traded Tavares...Even if he stays with the Isles its gonna be a terrible contract later on
Rranger
Posted 2018-06-30 7:14 AM (#707473 - in reply to #707469)

MVP

Go NYR - 2018-06-30 4:12 AM

Your very noble leaving 16 million of Doughty's money on the table to win. I bet you would you would love to give up 20 % of your income so your employer could hire better people.
Go NYR
Posted 2018-06-30 7:17 AM (#707474 - in reply to #707471)

Rookie

Mjolnir - 2018-06-30 6:20 AM

Go NYR - 2018-06-30 7:01 AM

JMHO

I know how much you can bury in the minors....taking on a bad contract does not mean you have to give that player a roster spot.

I hear you. Just because we take on a bad contract doesn't mean we have to take a roster spot from a kid. We can put a player in the minors or scratch them. Don't disagree. More likely though is if we take on a bad deal and get a good asset, we'll probably just play that guy in a 3rd line role. Say a Lucic or Ryan or Cally or someone like that.

I would not be opposed to taking on one bad deal (of 1 or 2 years max) if we get a good future asset as well. I think it is smart given our cap space, and the fact that we aren't going to be very good this coming year anyway.

Go NYR
Posted 2018-06-30 7:20 AM (#707475 - in reply to #707473)

Rookie

Rranger - 2018-06-30 7:14 AM

Your very noble leaving 16 million of Doughty's money on the table to win. I bet you would you would love to give up 20 % of your income so your employer could hire better people.

Actually yeah I think I would. 88 mill or 68 mill, when I just came off of a 60 mill deal, I think you are good. In a capped sports league, not corporate America, I think I would. Plus I guarantee he gets very good endorsement money. We see it is sports more and more. Look at the Warriors, or the Heat with LeBron, or Brady.

So yeah I think I'd make a killing but do it within reason so my team could add another player or two.

Rranger
Posted 2018-06-30 7:28 AM (#707476 - in reply to #707475)

MVP

Go NYR - 2018-06-30 6:20 AM

Actually yeah I think I would. 88 mill or 68 mill, when I just came off of a 60 mill deal, I think you are good. In a capped sports league, not corporate America, I think I would. Plus I guarantee he gets very good endorsement money. We see it is sports more and more. Look at the Warriors, or the Heat with LeBron, or Brady.

So yeah I think I'd make a killing but do it within reason so my team could add another player or two.

Swell.
Go NYR
Posted 2018-06-30 7:30 AM (#707477 - in reply to #706448)

Rookie

On Tavares, I think he is nuts if he takes a chance and signs just a one-year deal. That is so risky. Also not sure what he accomplishes by doing that. Seeing how he likes Toronto and then being free again next summer accomplishes what exactly? Maybe Toronto is pushing it so they can afford Matthews and Marner when they need new deals. Okay I get that, but why would Tavares do that? Does he want to be in Toronto so badly that he'd take a huge risk like that? And does that mean he'd be a one-year hired gun for them and then he'd sign somewhere else next summer? Very odd to me why Tavares would even think about entertaining that. I doubt he would do it.

I still think the Isles have inside track, but I think we'll hear today for sure. And if not the Isles I say Toronto, unless they won't sign him long term due to Matthews and Marner. Things will start coming out today I think.

Go NYR
Posted 2018-06-30 7:31 AM (#707478 - in reply to #707476)

Rookie

Rranger - 2018-06-30 7:28 AM

Go NYR - 2018-06-30 6:20 AM

Swell.

Agreed.

Mikey Red
Posted 2018-06-30 7:34 AM (#707479 - in reply to #706448)

Legend

No way Tavares is going back to a team with no defense...no goaltending...and having to play in 2 different home arenas
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... >
Now viewing page 6 [35 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software