Home Page
 OTG

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Summer Thread: Trades - Entry Draft - Free Agent Signings
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : < ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... >
Now viewing page 12 [35 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Rangers -> Winter Is ComingMessage format

Mikey Red
Posted 2018-07-01 8:06 PM (#707663 - in reply to #707660)
Subject: Re: Summer Thread: Trades - Entry Draft - Free Agent Signings

Legend

Rranger - 2018-07-01 10:03 PM

robstones - 2018-07-01 4:54 PM

I don't think they're looking to do anything then what's best for the organization.

They could've tried to out bid Toronto or Philly for JT or JVR.... or LA for Kovy....but why?

Sometimes punting is the best call... does that mean this team is dead this season, or trying to tank? Absolutely not! Everyone thought Vegas would be terrible last year, right?

They could be in a position to add some pieces by the deadline, we don't know.

I didn't have Kravtsov, Hajek, Lindgren, Howden making the opening night roster, but that doesn't mean they don't prove themselves, and upgrade the roster later in the season.

Buchnevich could break out this year. To quote Quinn, all it takes is everyone being a little better this year compared to last. Completely possible, especially if you were in the Fire AV camp, which most here were....

Of course Gorton and crew are doing what they think is best. That doesn’t translate to a successful season and playoff run. One would have to be peering through the rosiest coloured glasses ever to see much upside to the team with or without Hajek, Howden, Lindgren, Andersson, and Chytil for this season.
This season is looking very much like a write off unless Quinn is a phenom coach. As a fan it’s concerning how far along the Rangers will be the following year let alone this upcoming year.
As a top four Shattenkirk, Skjei, Staal, and Pionk is terrible. As it stands now Zib, and Hayes as the top two centres is pilsbury tough and unless motivated by Quinn to release some backbone, more trouble for the Rangers. Andersson and Chytil need bark on them, that will take some time. So to review a terrible top four D, two cream puffs and two kids at center, and a aging goalie who showed a lot of swing in his inconsistency last season. It’s a recipe for a another season of being on the outside looking in at playoff time.
If they are respectable Quinn is a front runner for coach of the year.

I sure hope Gorton knows what he is doing...I am a little nervous
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Rranger
Posted 2018-07-01 8:18 PM (#707665 - in reply to #707663)

MVP

Mikey Red - 2018-07-01 7:06 PM

I don't think they're looking to do anything then what's best for the organization.

They could've tried to out bid Toronto or Philly for JT or JVR.... or LA for Kovy....but why?

Sometimes punting is the best call... does that mean this team is dead this season, or trying to tank? Absolutely not! Everyone thought Vegas would be terrible last year, right?

I didn't have Kravtsov, Hajek, Lindgren, Howden making the opening night roster, but that doesn't mean they don't prove themselves, and upgrade the roster later in the season.

Buchnevich could break out this year. To quote Quinn, all it takes is everyone being a little better this year compared to last. Completely possible, especially if you were in the Fire AV camp, which most here were....

Of course Gorton and crew are doing what they think is best. That doesn’t translate to a successful season and playoff run. One would have to be peering through the rosiest coloured glasses ever to see much upside to the team with or without Hajek, Howden, Lindgren, Andersson, and Chytil for this season.
This season is looking very much like a write off unless Quinn is a phenom coach. As a fan it’s concerning how far along the Rangers will be the following year let alone this upcoming year.
As a top four Shattenkirk, Skjei, Staal, and Pionk is terrible. As it stands now Zib, and Hayes as the top two centres is pilsbury tough and unless motivated by Quinn to release some backbone, more trouble for the Rangers. Andersson and Chytil need bark on them, that will take some time. So to review a terrible top four D, two cream puffs and two kids at center, and a aging goalie who showed a lot of swing in his inconsistency last season. It’s a recipe for a another season of being on the outside looking in at playoff time.

At least Chytil, Andersson or Howden and Lindgren and Hajek need to make the Rangers and be good to give the Rangers any hope of a decent season, without them it’s a mess. You have to hope Chytil can handle the third hole and Howden or Andersson the fourth line and if they can and play well and Spooner, Namestnikov, can thrive on the wing then there is hope.
Shattenkirk, Staal, Pionk, Skjei, Lindgren, DeAngelo and Hajek has potential if the kids can handle it. Hajek might blow everyone out of the water and knock Staal out of the top four, he’s capable, but he has to do it. Pionk has to be better and thrive offensively like last season. But Shattenkirk and Skjei have to be excellent and sorry but I’m not betting on that, but if they are then ya the Rangers could suprise but without the new kids forget it.
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-07-01 8:19 PM (#707666 - in reply to #706448)

Legend

If we dont trade any forwards...opening night there is room for 2 kids
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-07-01 8:21 PM (#707667 - in reply to #707665)

Legend

Rranger - 2018-07-01 10:18 PM

Mikey Red - 2018-07-01 7:06 PM

At least Chytil, Andersson or Howden and Lindgren and Hajek need to make the Rangers and be good to give the Rangers any hope of a decent season, without them it’s a mess. You have to hope Chytil can handle the third hole and Howden or Andersson the fourth line and if they can and play well and Spooner, Namestnikov, can thrive on the wing then there is hope.
Shattenkirk, Staal, Pionk, Skjei, Lindgren, DeAngelo and Hajek has potential if the kids can handle it. Hajek might blow everyone out of the water and knock Staal out of the top four, he’s capable, but he has to do it. Pionk has to be better and thrive offensively like last season. But Shattenkirk and Skjei have to be excellent and sorry but I’m not betting on that, but if they are then ya the Rangers could suprise but without the new kids forget it.

Absolutely 100%
Rranger
Posted 2018-07-01 8:27 PM (#707668 - in reply to #707666)

MVP

Mikey Red - 2018-07-01 7:19 PM

Possibly

Kreider Zib Buch
Namestmikov Hayes Zucc
Spooner Chytil Vesey
Belesky Andersson or Howden Fast

And let them go.
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-07-01 8:27 PM (#707669 - in reply to #706448)

Legend

And Matt Beleskey should be bottom 6 guy if he has a good camp...he can be a good player
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-07-01 8:29 PM (#707670 - in reply to #707668)

Legend

Rranger - 2018-07-01 10:27 PM

Possibly

Kreider Zib Buch
Namestmikov Hayes Zucc
Spooner Chytil Vesey

And let them go.

Yep...Im especially pulling for Howden
Rranger
Posted 2018-07-01 8:36 PM (#707671 - in reply to #707670)

MVP

Mikey Red - 2018-07-01 7:29 PM

Rranger - 2018-07-01 10:27 PM

Possibly

Kreider Zib Buch
Namestmikov Hayes Zucc
Spooner Chytil Vesey

And let them go.

Yep...Im especially pulling for Howden

Me to. A dark horse for the 4c if Andersson and or Howden doesn’t pan out is Gabriel Fontaine, he was one of the better defensive faceoff guys in Hartford, he should be on the Rangers radar.
Go NYR
Posted 2018-07-02 4:26 AM (#707672 - in reply to #706448)

Rookie

I like what I have seen and heard about Howden as well. At some point things have to happen as we have the RFA's to deal with, so action will be coming. Will it be simply resigning them or will it be some trades, we'll see (I think it will be a little of both). And somewhere inside of me I still think we make a play for a dman, but that one is a huge uncertainty and coin flip.

itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2018-07-02 6:04 AM (#707673 - in reply to #706448)

All-Star

Agree totally. I am very positive on Fontaine. He got a long look with moron AV. His supporting cast was crap for the Pack. He was super clutch all of juniors. They put him in a defensive role because the rest of the forwards on his team were defensively incompetent. His playoff numbers were always better than his regular season numbers when you factor in playoff scoring is usually much lower. He does all the little things at a high level. I hated Nieves but I admit he was impressive on the 4th line. Which makes total sense that imbecile AV banished him to the minors. I would absolutely like to see a 4th line of Howden-Fontaine-Nieves. Let all of them take turns at center and wing. Get them used to playing both without putting the burden of being an NHL center on any one of them. Give them all tons of PK time and save the minutes for more of the vets on the PP and at even strength.
concust
Posted 2018-07-02 7:06 AM (#707675 - in reply to #707639)

Legend

Rranger - 2018-07-01 4:48 PM

Go NYR - 2018-07-01 12:24 PM

I think it all started with Snow not putting pressure on Tavares. He should have said resign or we deal you by the trade DL. Tough tactics, but that's what you have to do in situations like this. Snow essentially said we'll let it wait until after the season and take you at your word that you want to stay in LI.

If he truly wanted to stay though, why did he have to wait to resign...because it was never a lock. Sure JT said I want to see what you will do around me...yada yada yada...but you cannot allow that in a situation like this regardless of Tavares saying I want to be an Islander with no guarantee. Dumb Snow.

Try to keep it real, your dumb if you think the Tavares situation was all on Snow. Not trading Tavares was on the ownership. It’s documented. Not even Snow is that stupid.

Also remember Tavares had a full NMC at the trade deadline. So as easy as it is to pin that on Snow and say that he should have given JT an ultimatum at the deadline, JT was the one holding all the cards.

Go NYR
Posted 2018-07-02 7:09 AM (#707676 - in reply to #706448)

Rookie

There is enough "blame" to go around with the Isles, that's for sure. Tavares takes a hit also for at the end of the day jerking the Isles around. Awful ownership. An inept GM. List goes on and on.

Edited by Go NYR 2018-07-02 7:09 AM
concust
Posted 2018-07-02 7:18 AM (#707678 - in reply to #707676)

Legend

Go NYR - 2018-07-02 8:09 AM

There is enough "blame" to go around with the Isles, that's for sure. Tavares takes a hit also for at the end of the day jerking the Isles around. Awful ownership. An inept GM. List goes on and on.

Also reported that he said something like, he didn't feel the need to keep promises to the new leadership since he made those promises to the old leadership. Whether or not it makes sense, he may have had some personal loyalty to Snow, Weight, and Co. and when they were all axed, he said "F this." He may very well have been seriously considering re-signing on the Islanders prior to leadership changes, so it's not like he was jerking them around at the trade deadline.

If he knew at the deadline he was definitely going to leave, well he has a full NMC so he could literally choose his destination and tell Snow to make a deal because it's the only team I'll play for. They could have sent him to the Leafs for a 7th round pick and retained half his salary, and they still would have gotten more than they have now. But my sense is that he was undecided up until they fired everyone and brought in Lou.

You can't expect to have a season where you announce shifting arena plans, change leadership, and then have a crap team on the ice, to be a situation where a guy who has been a perfect soldier for 10 years, even taking a team friendly deal, would want to stay.

Islanders have been mismanaging this situation for years. Tavares didn't do anything "wrong" per se, he earned everything he got. He gave that team 10 years, he was supposed to be the cornerstone of their rebuild.

Tavares's first year: Islanders finish with 79 points
Tavares's last year: Islanders finish with 80 points

Some rebuild. Who's going to give a franchise like that any loyalty.

Go NYR
Posted 2018-07-02 7:22 AM (#707679 - in reply to #706448)

Rookie

We'll never really know. Is it possible he stays if Snow is there still, sure it is possible. Personally I don't buy that due to his Leafs love and desire to live out his childhood dream as he puts it, and the fact that Snow was awful and never put a decent team around him, but that is pure speculation on my part. To me we can slice and dice it anyway we want to, but the bottom line is he said he wanted to be an Isle and left. The owner did an awful job handling it. And Snow was a god awful GM. That's really the bottom line facts wise. The rest is window dressing.

sureshore
Posted 2018-07-02 8:51 AM (#707683 - in reply to #707655)

All-Star

Mikey Red - 2018-07-01 9:36 PM

The Isles just started to die today...they still have a few UFA's that would hurt them more to lose

I'm just loving the Islanders right now. After everyone was singing their praises with the draft, and Lou and Trotz, it's so nice to see the Islanders sh!+ing the bed during free agency. My faith in the NYI organ-eye-zation has been restored
LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2018-07-02 8:52 AM (#707684 - in reply to #706448)

All-Star

https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2018/7/2/17524956/nhl-free-agency-ne...
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-07-02 8:53 AM (#707685 - in reply to #707683)

Legend

sureshore - 2018-07-02 10:51 AM

Mikey Red - 2018-07-01 9:36 PM

The Isles just started to die today...they still have a few UFA's that would hurt them more to lose

I'm just loving the Islanders right now. After everyone was singing their praises with the draft, and Lou and Trotz, it's so nice to see the Islanders sh!+ing the bed during free agency. My faith in the NYI organ-eye-zation has been restored

Yep they are screwed...They will find out just how much better Tavares made everyone else
Rranger
Posted 2018-07-02 9:07 AM (#707687 - in reply to #707684)

MVP

A savvy one year deal for the Fredster. Okie dokie!
LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2018-07-02 9:23 AM (#707688 - in reply to #706448)

All-Star

http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/23966632/2018-nhl-free-...
ding-toronto-maple-leafs-lou-lamoriello-gary-bettman-washington-capitals
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-07-02 9:29 AM (#707689 - in reply to #707688)

Legend

Lol @ Islanders...Im watching the Tavares interview from yesterday....His personality is less exciting than watching paint dry
concust
Posted 2018-07-02 9:31 AM (#707690 - in reply to #707679)

Legend

Go NYR - 2018-07-02 8:22 AM

We'll never really know. Is it possible he stays if Snow is there still, sure it is possible. Personally I don't buy that due to his Leafs love and desire to live out his childhood dream as he puts it, and the fact that Snow was awful and never put a decent team around him, but that is pure speculation on my part. To me we can slice and dice it anyway we want to, but the bottom line is he said he wanted to be an Isle and left. The owner did an awful job handling it. And Snow was a god awful GM. That's really the bottom line facts wise. The rest is window dressing.

We'll never know for sure. All I know is that his statements about wanting to stay and Islander, both before and after the deadline, before and after their season ended, occurred with the old regime. Not once did he say anything remotely like that after Lou and Co came in.

Also if he wanted to live out the childhood dream so badly, he could have just said at the deadline that he wanted to go to the Leafs. Realistically, the Islanders could have retained a bit of salary to make it work, and gotten a couple of assets in return. They could have easily gotten a second round pick and a B+ prospect at the deadline for "rental" Tavares. Tavares gets to live his childhood dream, gets a legitimate shot at the Cup for the first time, Islanders get some assets, and can start to move on.

It's all moot now. I'm happy for Tavares because he always seemed like a class guy stuck in a bad situation, that didn't take the easy way out (forcing their hand at the deadline, or demanding a trade). He took team friendly deals and was legitimately a team player in just about everything he did. Part of me has empathy for the Islander fans who basically take it in the rear AGAIN due to their terrible leadership, on the other hand they're Islander fans and deserve everything they get.
concust
Posted 2018-07-02 9:40 AM (#707691 - in reply to #706448)

Legend

On one hand I'm happy the Rangers are not making stupid deals in free agency.

On the other hand, there are some more savvy moves that they should be exploring that aren't getting done.

For one, what's the status of our center situation? Namestnikov is signed, is he moving to wing I assume, if kids are ready? Even so we still have a lot of centers. The longer you wait at this point, and the longer other teams have to set their rosters, the less value you're going to get if and when you deal an NHL asset.

Second, I like they're not making stupid moves, but I think they should also be exploring signing veteran scoring wingers, and depth defensemen, to overpriced one year deals with the intention of flipping them for assets at the deadline. We have the cap space to overpay a guy and flip him later. For example, Vanek signed in DET for one year, $3m. Why not offer him $4m on the same deal, let him put up 40+ points here, and then when the deadline comes, retain $2m and flip him to a contender? You could easily get a 2nd round pick if not more for him.

Only issue is that if you do that you take up a roster spot, but that leads back to my first point... a trade of a center is almost definitely coming, why the wait?
Go NYR
Posted 2018-07-02 9:43 AM (#707692 - in reply to #706448)

Rookie

Does it matter? He said he wanted to stay, and then he left. And not only did he leave he waited until after the 12 start of free agency which allowed other possible replacements to sign elsewhere. So I'm sorry but Tavares did end up sticking it to the Isles with his actions. Again his right 10000000000%. He owes the isles nothing. Maybe he would have stayed if Snow was still there. All true or possible...but what did happen was he left after saying he'd stay and he did so after the 12 noon kickoff of free agency. He has some blood on his hands here, even though it is his right and he has less blood on his hands than Snow and especially the owners.

Mikey Red
Posted 2018-07-02 9:44 AM (#707693 - in reply to #706448)

Legend

https://nypost.com/2018/07/02/free-agency-just-put-rangers-at-a-kevi...
witter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons
Vua
Posted 2018-07-02 10:39 AM (#707695 - in reply to #707693)

All-Star

At least two of Hayes, Isis, Spooner and Namestawhatever have to go. It doesn't all have to happen this summer, but at least one does I would think.
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-07-02 10:42 AM (#707696 - in reply to #707695)

Legend

Vua - 2018-07-02 12:39 PM

At least two of Hayes, Isis, Spooner and Namestawhatever have to go. It doesn't all have to happen this summer, but at least one does I would think.

Yep! and we need Right D
concust
Posted 2018-07-02 10:48 AM (#707697 - in reply to #707692)

Legend

Go NYR - 2018-07-02 10:43 AM

Does it matter? He said he wanted to stay, and then he left. And not only did he leave he waited until after the 12 start of free agency which allowed other possible replacements to sign elsewhere. So I'm sorry but Tavares did end up sticking it to the Isles with his actions. Again his right 10000000000%. He owes the isles nothing. Maybe he would have stayed if Snow was still there. All true or possible...but what did happen was he left after saying he'd stay and he did so after the 12 noon kickoff of free agency. He has some blood on his hands here, even though it is his right and he has less blood on his hands than Snow and especially the owners.

He said he wanted to stay 4 months ago, well before things like the leadership change. I can't hold him to that, I think it's only fair that if you alter the terms of your side of the deal he can alter the terms of his.

It's like a marriage, you can say anything you want in the vows but if your partner ends up being abusive or a cheater or whatever, no one's going to hold you to the vows. They were true when you said them but that doesn't compel you to enforce them at the expense of your own safety or happiness.

Mandar
Posted 2018-07-02 12:10 PM (#707702 - in reply to #707697)

MVP

concust - 2018-07-02 12:48 PM

He said he wanted to stay 4 months ago, well before things like the leadership change. I can't hold him to that, I think it's only fair that if you alter the terms of your side of the deal he can alter the terms of his.

It's like a marriage, you can say anything you want in the vows but if your partner ends up being abusive or a cheater or whatever, no one's going to hold you to the vows. They were true when you said them but that doesn't compel you to enforce them at the expense of your own safety or happiness.

nice analogy.

Besides all this, who gives a f uck if he screwed them or not?
Rangerjunkie
Posted 2018-07-02 12:16 PM (#707703 - in reply to #707695)

All-Star

Vua - 2018-07-02 10:39 AM

Hahaha

Isis.....Good one!!!

Rangerjunkie
Posted 2018-07-02 12:18 PM (#707704 - in reply to #707692)

All-Star

Go NYR - 2018-07-02 9:43 AM

You should have a conversation with Rangers2017 and Shattenkirk2017.
DaTeL
Posted 2018-07-02 12:27 PM (#707706 - in reply to #707704)

Legend

Rangerjunkie - 2018-07-02 8:18 PM

I thought it's the same guy
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-07-02 12:55 PM (#707707 - in reply to #707703)

Legend

Rangerjunkie - 2018-07-02 2:16 PM

Vua - 2018-07-02 10:39 AM

Hahaha

Isis.....Good one!!!

he he he another one like us!!!!
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-07-02 12:56 PM (#707708 - in reply to #707704)

Legend

Rangerjunkie - 2018-07-02 2:18 PM

Bwahahahahwahahahahwwwwjhhahaha
concust
Posted 2018-07-02 1:03 PM (#707709 - in reply to #707702)

Legend

Mandar - 2018-07-02 1:10 PM

Besides all this, who gives a f uck if he screwed them or not?

It's all academic. In the end I'm just happy that the Islanders are pissed. I really doubt though that he had an agenda to screw the team, whether or not the results ended up that way.
Go NYR
Posted 2018-07-02 1:06 PM (#707710 - in reply to #707697)

Rookie

concust - 2018-07-02 10:48 AM

I really think we are debating semantics here. He said he'd stay and he left. That's all I am saying. As Mandar said he owes them nothing anyway, so who cares really, but that's what happened. Circumstances changed and he changed his mind. Okay, he still left after saying he'd stay, and owed them nothing so good for him. Not much else to say really.

This is about the awful owners and inept GM mainly anyway. Tavares did what is his right, but still doesn't mean he didn't F the Isles by doing it the way he did.

Jump to page : < ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... >
Now viewing page 12 [35 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software