Home Page
 OTG

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Final cuts.
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Rangers -> Winter Is ComingMessage format

Rranger
Posted 2018-09-28 9:44 AM (#710095)
Subject: Final cuts.

MVP

There it is

https://www.sny.tv/rangers/news/lias-andersson-sent-to-hartford-as-r...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Rranger
Posted 2018-09-28 9:57 AM (#710096 - in reply to #710095)
Subject: Re: Final cuts.

MVP

Nothing startling there. not surprised andersson sent down. Not surprised Howden who has a lot of intangibles and a skill suited to breaking in on a fourth line still here.. He has lots of work to do to stay up, but thats another story.
robstones
Posted 2018-09-28 9:59 AM (#710097 - in reply to #710095)

Legend

Forwards (13): Pavel Buchnevich, Filip Chytil, Jesper Fast, Kevin Hayes, Brett Howden, Chris Kreider, Vinni Lettieri, Cody McLeod, Vladislav Namestnikov, Ryan Spooner, Jimmy Vesey, Mika Zibanejad, Mats Zuccarello

Defensemen (8): Fredrik Claesson, Tony DeAngelo, Adam McQuaid, Neal Pionk, Kevin Shattenkirk, Brady Skjei, Brendan Smith, Marc Staal

Goaltenders (2): Alexandar Georgiev, Henrik Lundqvist

Injured (3): Matt Beleskey, Brandon Crawley, Boo Nieves

He sent down Lias instead of Howden... Real surprised, but I like Howden. He certainly didn't do anything to get himself cut, either. Last night was a great showing. We'll surely see Andersson through the season as a call up.

Kreider Zibanejad Buchnevich
Spooner Hayes Zuccarello
Namestnikov Chytil Fast
Vesey Howden Lettieri
-
McLeod

Skjei Shattenkirk
Staal Pionk
Smith DeAngelo
-
Claesson McQuaid

Lundqvist
Georgiev

I can dig it
concust
Posted 2018-09-28 10:05 AM (#710098 - in reply to #710095)

Legend

Well color me surprised that Howden made final cut and Andersson did not. I thought Andersson had a better preseason overall and looked much more like a well rounded NHL player than Howden. This is not to say Howden didn't have a good preseason, to the contrary I thought he played very well, but surprised they felt strongly enough to have the cuts fall this way.

That's not to say they couldn't switch spots midway through the season either - it's ultimately a good problem to have to have young centers that can play at the NHL level. Congrats to Howden though. Wonder if he changes his number to 21.

robstones
Posted 2018-09-28 10:59 AM (#710099 - in reply to #710095)

Legend

Howden has never seen NHL action. Lias has. It could be about just wanting to see Howdy get that experience. We know Andersson can handle himself, it's time to see how Howden does.

Andersson is only a callup away. Howden's rookie status could play a part here. They may send him down before that hits
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-09-28 11:13 AM (#710100 - in reply to #710095)

Legend

Wow...Quin is not messing around....Howden had the better camp than Lias....Lias better not be a bust
concust
Posted 2018-09-28 11:53 AM (#710101 - in reply to #710100)

Legend

Mikey Red - 2018-09-28 12:13 PM

Wow...Quin is not messing around....Howden had the better camp than Lias....Lias better not be a bust

You would have said that before camp started
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-09-28 11:59 AM (#710102 - in reply to #710101)

Legend

concust - 2018-09-28 1:53 PM

Mikey Red - 2018-09-28 12:13 PM

You would have said that before camp started

haha I know Howden is better.....Because we didnt draft him
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2018-09-28 12:01 PM (#710103 - in reply to #710095)

Scorer

Howden did not have a better camp than Lias. Open your eyes. Andersson going to the Pack and McLeod making this team tells me this rebuild is a crock of ****. Filing out the roster with vet scrubs just like AV did.
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-09-28 12:21 PM (#710104 - in reply to #710095)

Legend

No way dude Howden was all over the place out there...winning puck battles and making nice passes...Lias was invisible after the first game
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-09-28 12:23 PM (#710105 - in reply to #710095)

Legend

Remember Boys and Girls....We drafted Lias because he was the most NHL ready
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2018-09-28 12:48 PM (#710108 - in reply to #710095)

Scorer

Howden will be a player but I don't see him having any better of a camp than Lias. Namestnikov was absolutely awful until the last game. Chytil did squat all pre-season.
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-09-28 12:52 PM (#710109 - in reply to #710095)

Legend

I agree on Names and Chytil
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2018-09-28 12:56 PM (#710110 - in reply to #710095)

Scorer

I get the sense the organization wants to suck this year, get a high pick and then play about 6 to 8 young guys next year after an AHL season. Just my opinion.
Rangerjunkie
Posted 2018-09-28 1:51 PM (#710111 - in reply to #710095)

All-Star

Hopefully this lights a fire under Lias and makes him want to prove that Quinn made a mistake. Hoping he doesn't throw a hissy fit, like throwing a medal into the seats.........
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-09-28 2:04 PM (#710112 - in reply to #710111)

Legend

Rangerjunkie - 2018-09-28 3:51 PM

Hopefully this lights a fire under Lias and makes him want to prove that Quinn made a mistake. Hoping he doesn't throw a hissy fit, like throwing a medal into the seats.........

Steady Eddie
Posted 2018-09-28 2:17 PM (#710113 - in reply to #710095)

MVP

4 rookies on the roster. Really 5, but Pionk played 28 games last season and is not considered a rookie.
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-09-28 2:21 PM (#710114 - in reply to #710095)

Legend

Start drinking now Eddie!
Steady Eddie
Posted 2018-09-28 3:01 PM (#710115 - in reply to #710095)

MVP

With the exception of Chytil, I actually like these rookies. I like the fact that our coach is putting 5 on the roster. I just hope he plays them. Georgy was solid last night. Wouldn’t mind seeing this coach split time between him and Hank.

Rranger
Posted 2018-09-28 5:18 PM (#710119 - in reply to #710115)

MVP

Steady Eddie - 2018-09-28 2:01 PM

With the exception of Chytil, I actually like these rookies. I like the fact that our coach is putting 5 on the roster. I just hope he plays them. Georgy was solid last night. Wouldn’t mind seeing this coach split time between him and Hank.

I like Georgiev and Hope he gets fed all he can handle. A fresh Lundqvist could steal a round or two if they somehow sneak in. I like the team picked and can’t believe the excuses Howden is still here and Andersson is not. Andersson had three giveaways in one shift last night, but nobody says nothing about that. Every thing I’ve seen out of Quinn’s early tenure, with the exception of the McLeod signing I like, and he made a gutty call on Howden when it would have been easy to go with Andersson. But like I said in another thread watch game tapes with a full view and there are no secrets like there is watching a game on tv when you so many WTF passes and dumb dump-ins ect. When you can see all 10 players on the ice in the picture you see why those WTF passes and dumb dump-ins happened. Those coaches have that benefit and it’s huge in their player evaluations. I got a lot more confidence in this coaching staff picking the right players than dip****, who couldn’t even figure out in a game who was ready and who wasn’t.
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-09-28 5:40 PM (#710120 - in reply to #710119)

Legend

Rranger - 2018-09-28 7:18 PM

Steady Eddie - 2018-09-28 2:01 PM

I like Georgiev and Hope he gets fed all he can handle. A fresh Lundqvist could steal a round or two if they somehow sneak in. I like the team picked and can’t believe the excuses Howden is still here and Andersson is not. Andersson had three giveaways in one shift last night, but nobody says nothing about that. Every thing I’ve seen out of Quinn’s early tenure, with the exception of the McLeod signing I like, and he made a gutty call on Howden when it would have been easy to go with Andersson. But like I said in another thread watch game tapes with a full view and there are no secrets like there is watching a game on tv when you so many WTF passes and dumb dump-ins ect. When you can see all 10 players on the ice in the picture you see why those WTF passes and dumb dump-ins happened. Those coaches have that benefit and it’s huge in their player evaluations. I got a lot more confidence in this coaching staff picking the right players than dip****, who couldn’t even figure out in a game who was ready and who wasn’t.

Rranger
Posted 2018-09-28 5:54 PM (#710121 - in reply to #710095)

MVP

news from the horse's mouth.

Rangers coach David Quinn on Vesey, Andersson, Georgiev and more
6:52PM
Share:
(SNY)
(SNY)
David Quinn met with the media following practice on Friday and said (NYR):

On Brett Howden, "I thought he had a really good camp, plays a 200ft game, great mind, plays fast, energetic and he earned a spot on the team. Right from the get go I thought he was our best forward in Traverse City and thought he built on that in training camp. Ever since I've been watching him he's been good."

On Howden's role, "We feel he has earned that and will be given that opportunity and what he does with it is up to him. He is a guy that we feel can help us now and has earned that chance."

On Lias Andersson, "Lias had a good camp. This sport is so different from basketball and football where you draft a kid high and you draft them for now, this is different. Lias had a good camp and could have made this team for sure. Having him play 20 minutes a night in Hartford is the best for right now is the best thing for him."

On Chytil at center, "that is where he will start. I don't see him at wing, long-term for sure, at times we may move him there but he is a center."

On Lettieri, "He has had a last really good 8-9 days of camp. Not that he wasn't good before that but he elevated his game and did the things we are looking for for him to be a contributor night in and night out."

On Brendan Smith, "I've really liked Smitty's game and his last two games were really good. He looked like the guy that we acquired two-years ago, decisive, fast, playing free of mind. I've liked his game."

On trying to recruit Smith to BU, "through the process you have a little bit of a connection. Irish family from Toronto and he has that personality, he's a friendly guy. When he was in Grand Rapids and I was in Lake Erie, we played them eight times a year and we would always find each other and say hello. We've had a relationship for a long time even though I haven't coached him before."

On Georgiev, "I'd heard about him a lot and boy did he open my eyes in development camp. He is the real deal and I felt that way from the moment I watched him and how competitive and composed that he is. He's built on that. He's a competitor, has an incredible demeanor about him, mentally tough and very athletic. He has earned the spot."

On Expectations, "a lot has been made about the different direction we are in, we want to win every game. I don't think about it any other way, coming in here every day to become the best team we can be. Making every guy a better player, making us a better team collectively and playing the way we want to play. The winning and losing will take care of itself and we feel we have enough good NHL players here to give us a chance night in and night out. Not just a lucky chance to hang on, I think last year we had a bunch of guys that didn't have great years at the same time. Every year is not going to be a great year in your career and I think what happened last year was we had a bunch of guys not have great years at the same time. Now you are seeing some guys rebound from years they werne't happy with and are mentally and physically in a position to have good years."

On Jimmy Vesey, "Jimmy is in incredible shape, some guys it takes some time. I was talking about Jeff and Chris about training camp for guys who are 2nd or 3rd year pros and sometimes guys don't have great camps but can have a great season. I think Jimmy has gotten better and better and last night was his best night and he was involved a lot more. We need him and you gotta help people through tough times and that is our jobs. If a guy is lazy or not working hard that is one thing, sometimes you gotta stick with someone to get through a tough time. I don't think it was laziness, or a work ethic issue. With Jimmy it's more the mental piece of it and feeling that he can be a real good player at this level. You gotta produce too, this is a get it done league."

On Namestnikov, "both of those guys, I thought, were better the last two games for sure."

x10003q
Posted 2018-09-28 6:29 PM (#710122 - in reply to #710095)

MVP

So, as some suspected, Andersson is going to get major minutes in Hartford that he would not get in NYC. Howden will be getting minutes on the 4th line until he shows more or Nieves gets cleared or they have Names or Spooner play C. Keeping the 8 D is a good plan to mix and match to see what works.
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2018-09-28 6:30 PM (#710123 - in reply to #710095)

Scorer

Chytil basically was garbage all pre-season. What this coach did already was send the wrong message. If you out play a guy like Andersson did with Chytil, you aren't rewarded. That's something Renney did and it was a train wreck. In all honesty, Chytil should have been the guy sent down. Andersson is superior to him on draws and in the defensive zone. Not to mention he is good already on the PK unit.
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-09-28 6:32 PM (#710124 - in reply to #710095)

Legend

God help Gorton if Lias doesnt pan out
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2018-09-28 6:32 PM (#710125 - in reply to #710095)

Scorer

Andersson is 19 so keeping him in the AHL is not a problem. However, having another 19 year old who basically sucked all pre-season in Chytil on the roster is a disgrace. Plus, he totally screwed over Hajek because this organization continues to bend over for Staal. Gorton totally fukkkkked up. He should have dealt Namestnikov and Staal in the off-season. Coming off a good year, Staal could have been moved with some retained salary.
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2018-09-28 6:33 PM (#710126 - in reply to #710095)

Scorer

Lias will absolutely pan out. He's 19. He has great intangibles. Problem is when your GM is a moron and litters the rosters with players like Spooner, Namestnikov and McLeod, there is no fn room for a young player. I put this on Gorton first.
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-09-28 6:36 PM (#710127 - in reply to #710095)

Legend

Heatl better step it up too...Too many people out there in Ranger board universe have his jersey retired already
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2018-09-28 6:40 PM (#710128 - in reply to #710095)

Scorer

Dude, I'm with ya. I don't see the Chytil hype. Flashes but to me he's about 2 to 3 years away. Where as Andersson can help you so many ways right now. I think Chytil is in the minors after 10 games and Andersson is back up. Andersson strikes me as a player who views the pre-season as a joke. He's a big game player. A player who plays big when games matter. The fact Quinn was talking about Howden and that dumbass tourny in Traverse is alarming. Who gives a crap about that stupid tournament. It's worthless.
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-09-28 6:43 PM (#710129 - in reply to #710095)

Legend

Totally....Rangers hype themselves too much...its madness...Yeah our last place finish sure showed how much they cared lol ......People got Shesty and Kravstov jersey retired already too....I do like Crawley and his mean streak....same with Lindgren...I think Hijak is a sure thing
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2018-09-28 7:26 PM (#710130 - in reply to #710095)

Scorer

I'm all for not rushing prospects but to me it is obvious that Andersson is much more ready than Chytil. It's as if the Rangers keep trying to praise themselves for taking Chytil 21st overall by giving him a job that he hasn't earned IMO. I thought Gropp looked big and fast out there and he got no chance to make the team. Yet, McLeod who freakin blows played almost every game. Lindqvist who was a schmuck got more games. Not sure I understand some of the coaching decisions this guy is making.i

I guess well see sooner than later. The Devils last year played 7 players who either had no or very little NHL experience. We are playing 4. Not sure how this is a rebuild when you are doing that. I blame Gorton. He had every opportunity to move Namestnikov, Spooner, Staal and perhaps Smith though I think he has to prove his value again. He did nothing but clutter up the roster.

Edited by itsmcilrathtime 2018-09-29 4:06 AM
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2018-09-29 4:09 AM (#710133 - in reply to #710095)

Scorer

I still don't know why he took 2 defenseman in the first round when clearly wing is an issue in the farm. That tells me he lacks confidence in his acquisitions of DeAngelo, Rykov and Lindgren.

Skjei-Shattenkirk
Miller-Lundkvist
Hajek-Pionk

If that going to be your 6 then you have to move Rykov, Lindgren, DeAngelo, Day, Staal, Smith at some point. Hope he has fun trying to figure out how to do that.
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-09-29 6:36 AM (#710134 - in reply to #710133)

Legend

Yep I agree and honestly I hated the Lundkvist pick...small Euro D man who I have no expectation of ever seeing him on the ice between 7th and 8th Ave and 31-33 st
Rranger
Posted 2018-09-29 8:34 AM (#710136 - in reply to #710095)

MVP

There is no hidden agenda on the Rangers behalf to send down Andersson and keep Howden. Teams are not in the habit of keeping a guy to give him experience and send down a supposed better proven player. That's asinine. Quinn's quote about Howden

"""[Howden is] a guy that plays a 200-foot game,” Quinn said. “He’s got a great mind, plays fast, he’s energetic. He earned his spot on this team.”""""

Reality is Quinn and the decision makers liked Howden's game more at this time. And after the last game and three Andersson defensive zone turnovers in one shift, its easy to see why. That is of course if you pay attention to that stuff, like the evaluators do.
I've said since he was drafted, the Rangers blew it not selecting a potential franchise offensive number one center and power play stud in Casey Middlestadt, supposedly because Andersson was the more ready player, and if Andersson's preparedness for the NHL last year was the reason he was picked ahead of Middlestadt who's already firmly established and a key cog on Buffalo's roster, then ya the Rangers out thought themselves not picking the player with the highest ceiling.
Andersson can obviously still be a player, but he's got holes in his game, that he needs to work on in Hartford. He should have been there at the start of last season instead of yodelling over in Sweden learning nothing about pro hockey in north America. Accomplishing so little the Rangers wanted him out of there. His entire last season was one moving adjustment after another playing for four different teams. You can absolutely blame the Rangers for that roster jumping ****show.
Meanwhile Howdens playing in the best junior development league in the world, getting experience in all aspects of the game, utilizing and improving all his skills every day. Andersson should have been doing the same thing, he would have been a better player right now. Instead he spent his entire season adjusting to where he was playing, instead of broadening his game learning to push himself and excell in all areas of the game.
Its obvious something wasn't working in Andersson's development, based on the mid season move to N.A. and at this point in time, its safe to say the Rangers have so far mishandled the kid. Lets hope they get it right this year.
Rangerjunkie
Posted 2018-09-29 9:51 AM (#710137 - in reply to #710095)

All-Star

Anderson was good enough for the Rangers to find 5-8 minutes a game. Thats less than 3 minutes per period. That would not have helped his progression as a player. Let him play 20-25 minutes a night in Hartford to improve his game and experience.

I am hoping that he doesn't have an attitude problem.

The being good enough to play 5-8 minutes was explained by JG

Edited by Rangerjunkie 2018-09-29 9:52 AM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2018 PD9 Software