Home Page
 OTG

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Brendan Smith - your third line wing...
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Rangers -> Winter Is ComingMessage format

Fish
Posted 2019-10-15 1:59 PM (#728514)
Subject: Brendan Smith - your third line wing...

Publisher

It looks like Smith will line up wiht Fast and Strome on the third line Thursday night...discuss amongst yourselves
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Rranger
Posted 2019-10-15 2:09 PM (#728516 - in reply to #728514)
Subject: Re: Brendan Smith - your third line wing...

MVP

Or he is creating competition between the third and fourth lines to see who does best. I think one certainly isn't better than the other on paper. Although I'd take McKegg and Lemieux as wingers over Fast and Smith every day. Its on Anderson to make it happen now, outplaying Strome who is handicapped with Fast and Smith. No reason Anderson's line can't become the third line.
Rangerjunkie
Posted 2019-10-15 3:52 PM (#728517 - in reply to #728514)
Subject: RE: Brendan Smith - your third line wing...

All-Star

Fish - 2019-10-15 1:59 PM

It looks like Smith will line up wiht Fast and Strome on the third line Thursday night...discuss amongst yourselves

Where did you read or hear this Fish?
Fish
Posted 2019-10-15 3:58 PM (#728518 - in reply to #728517)

Publisher

Rranger
Posted 2019-10-15 5:27 PM (#728519 - in reply to #728514)

MVP

I think there is a lot of ta do about nothing. Rangers are 2-1, battling a elongated schedule, and really haven’t give the lines any serious game time. Good synergy on lines is more about good execution of gameplans and systems than three players magically thrown together and instant chemistry. It takes time to gell as a unit. Once in a blue moon you get a Zibanejad, Panarin, and Buchnevich line that comes out firing and they put up numbers, but Zibanejad and Panarin are world class players and will get their points. The question is will Buchnevich hang onto his spot. I think Quinn did a smart thing, no pressure on Andersson but gave him the better wings. Everyone calling them number four line but they are not. If they outplay Strome line and they can they will be number three.
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2019-10-16 3:50 AM (#728520 - in reply to #728516)

All-Star

Rranger - 2019-10-15 2:09 PM

Or he is creating competition between the third and fourth lines to see who does best. I think one certainly isn't better than the other on paper. Although I'd take McKegg and Lemieux as wingers over Fast and Smith every day. Its on Anderson to make it happen now, outplaying Strome who is handicapped with Fast and Smith. No reason Anderson's line can't become the third line.

Gimme a break. McKegg and Lemieux don't have much offensive talent. He should put Andersson with Kreider and Buchnevich and put Kakko on the first line.
Rranger
Posted 2019-10-16 7:48 AM (#728521 - in reply to #728520)

MVP

itsmcilrathtime - 2019-10-16 2:50 AM

Gimme a break. McKegg and Lemieux don't have much offensive talent. He should put Andersson with Kreider and Buchnevich and put Kakko on the first line.

Gimme the break, Andersson with Kreider and Buchnevich is a different and premature and undeserved discussion at this point in time. Get over your fantasy about Andersson and keep it real.. Quinn and his staff has Andersson as his fourth center. That's deserved reality at this point in time. Andersson has two choices pout and whine about his linemates like you, alienating his teammates, or put his head down and help make his line better than Fast, Smith and Strome. Which Andersson, Lemieux and McKegg certainly have the ability to do. That's not a big challenge, it can be done. Andersson's progress so far this year or background hasn't warranted any type of offensive second center designation. He needs to focus on playing well enough to become the third center. One step at a time.
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2019-10-16 9:12 AM (#728522 - in reply to #728514)

All-Star

You're about the only dumbass with Quinn that can't see that Andersson is one of the best forwards on the ice every game going back to the pre-season. Quinn is a retard with that guy. He's fukkked up on him since day one. All the kid does is break up plays defensively. His offensive game is wasted with schmucks on the 4th line. McKegg is a career AHL'r more than a NHL'r. Lemieux I like long term but he has no creativity to his game. The simple fact is that Quinn continues to not reward Anderson for being better than other forwards on this team and it's horsecrap. Gorton needs to step in and discipline his coach.

Edited by itsmcilrathtime 2019-10-16 9:13 AM
Rranger
Posted 2019-10-16 9:50 AM (#728523 - in reply to #728522)

MVP

itsmcilrathtime - 2019-10-16 8:12 AM

You're about the only dumbass with Quinn that can't see that Andersson is one of the best forwards on the ice every game going back to the pre-season. Quinn is a retard with that guy. He's fukkked up on him since day one. All the kid does is break up plays defensively. His offensive game is wasted with schmucks on the 4th line. McKegg is a career AHL'r more than a NHL'r. Lemieux I like long term but he has no creativity to his game. The simple fact is that Quinn continues to not reward Anderson for being better than other forwards on this team and it's horsecrap. Gorton needs to step in and discipline his coach.

Is Andersson up there with Gropp and McIlrath? As usual your the only dumbass blowing the horn. You couldn’t even run a horsehoe drill, and your yapping Quinn’s the retard. Let it play out.
DaTeL
Posted 2019-10-16 11:59 AM (#728524 - in reply to #728514)

Legend

I don't understand why Smith is used in this kind of role.
He is a defenseman. Not a good one.
So what kind of value added do we expect to get?
Aside from maybe a bit of toughness?
I mean... defenseman Smith on a third line wing. For real?
Rranger
Posted 2019-10-16 12:19 PM (#728525 - in reply to #728514)

MVP

the Rangers at present don't have a third or fourth line until it plays out. No reason Andersson and Lemieux and McKegg can't be the third line. Fast and Smith and Strome shouldn't worry them. But they have it to do.
concust
Posted 2019-10-16 2:04 PM (#728526 - in reply to #728521)

Legend

Rranger - 2019-10-16 8:48 AM

Gimme the break, Andersson with Kreider and Buchnevich is a different and premature and undeserved discussion at this point in time. Get over your fantasy about Andersson and keep it real.. Quinn and his staff has Andersson as his fourth center. That's deserved reality at this point in time. Andersson has two choices pout and whine about his linemates like you, alienating his teammates, or put his head down and help make his line better than Fast, Smith and Strome. Which Andersson, Lemieux and McKegg certainly have the ability to do. That's not a big challenge, it can be done. Andersson's progress so far this year or background hasn't warranted any type of offensive second center designation. He needs to focus on playing well enough to become the third center. One step at a time.

While I agree with your premise, the fact that we've played Strome as 2C and are now planning on Howden as 2C blows up your argument about needing to "deserve" it to play 2C. What have Strome and Howden done to deserve the promotion? Andersson has been one of our better centers, and certainly deserves an audition at 2C, which hopefully he will get down the line.

Honestly though there are much bigger problems with our lineup than where Andersson plays but it seems to be the controversy du jour.

concust
Posted 2019-10-16 2:06 PM (#728527 - in reply to #728524)

Legend

DaTeL - 2019-10-16 12:59 PM

I don't understand why Smith is used in this kind of role.
He is a defenseman. Not a good one.
So what kind of value added do we expect to get?
Aside from maybe a bit of toughness?
I mean... defenseman Smith on a third line wing. For real?

Defenseman-playing-wing never works. Well, I suppose it worked for Byfuglien and Burns, but no reasonable person would actually make that comparison. Might as well call Jason Strudwick out of retirement, this move makes as much sense as that.
Rranger
Posted 2019-10-16 2:34 PM (#728528 - in reply to #728526)

MVP

concust - 2019-10-16 1:04 PM

Rranger - 2019-10-16 8:48 AM

While I agree with your premise, the fact that we've played Strome as 2C and are now planning on Howden as 2C blows up your argument about needing to "deserve" it to play 2C. What have Strome and Howden done to deserve the promotion? Andersson has been one of our better centers, and certainly deserves an audition at 2C, which hopefully he will get down the line.

Honestly though there are much bigger problems with our lineup than where Andersson plays but it seems to be the controversy du jour.

Who do you think was the number two center down the stretch last season, and it was his job to lose. That’s why he started number two. Neither Howden or Andersson did anything in camp to deserve to unseat him. Obviously Quinn wants a change now, so he’s trying what he thinks is his next best option. He has a trust level with Howden. There’s more to it than racking up numbers. Maybe Quinn factors in Andersson’s mostly playing against fourth lines and his ****ty face off numbers and zero points into his decision. Instead of meatheads insinuation Quinn doesn’t like Andersson which is as stupid as Chewy not liking McIlrath. It’s a broken record. For you to suggest Andersson has done enough to be considered over Howden or Strome as number two center when he is still trying to prove he belongs in the league is dribble. There is a lot of responsibility in the number two spot, and if Strome or Howden don’t get it happening Chytil will be up and get a Chance long before Andersson who has never put up numbers anywhere does.
concust
Posted 2019-10-17 8:07 AM (#728534 - in reply to #728528)

Legend

Rranger - 2019-10-16 3:34 PM
There’s more to it than racking up numbers.

...Andersson who has never put up numbers anywhere does.

Rranger
Posted 2019-10-17 8:36 AM (#728535 - in reply to #728534)

MVP

concust - 2019-10-17 7:07 AM

Rranger - 2019-10-16 3:34 PM
There’s more to it than racking up numbers.

...Andersson who has never put up numbers anywhere does.

Putting up points is PART of the equation,and necessary. Having never done it at any level doesn't lead any rational coach to expect much from that part of his game at the NHL level, sorta like wouldn't expect a 20's faceoff percentage to spike.
Fish
Posted 2019-10-17 11:04 AM (#728536 - in reply to #728514)

Publisher

I think another challenge with the team right now, and particularly with the 2nd/3rd line, is that they really don't have a good puck-possession guy on those lines. Kreider/Kakko/Howden/Strome/Fast...and whomever they slot on the third line wing, none of them can really hold onto the puck for much time, they're more North-South drive to the net, with the exception of Strome. Andersson doesn't really solve that problem either, he's a guy who's going to the net.
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2019-10-17 11:39 AM (#728537 - in reply to #728514)

All-Star

Gorton shoud be targeting Greenway. Minnesota has a fire sale on. They need help everywhere. Goalie, defense and forwards. At this point if you throw them Huska, DeAngelo and Lindgren for Greenway and a 2nd I think that gets it done. Wild are old and not talented in goal and on defense IMO. Like Lindgren but Quinn seems to not be favoring him. I think Huska has a chance to be a real good, NHL goal. Greenway can be a possession monster when he matures. I see no way DeAngelo is playing over Lundkvist. I thought DeAngelo might have finally found it. However, he turned back into a moron. Thus my quesitoning of the Lundkvist pick was wrong. He seems to be the safe, high IQ, dependable defenseman that Quinn will love and we need more of.

x10003q
Posted 2019-10-17 12:17 PM (#728538 - in reply to #728514)

MVP

According to the coaches, Andersson is not ready for the 2nd line. He has been on the ice for single digit minutes and he is playing almost half his time on the PK. He is doing something wrong at 5 v 5. There is no way for us to tell without seeing the overhead video and being at practice every day. Changing up Strome after 3 games is silly, but some guys just cannot avoid tinkering. Moving Howden up is not going to change anything. Quinn needs to figure out the team D at the other end of the ice. That will help everybody at the O end.
Rranger
Posted 2019-10-17 12:24 PM (#728539 - in reply to #728536)

MVP

Fish - 2019-10-17 10:04 AM

I think another challenge with the team right now, and particularly with the 2nd/3rd line, is that they really don't have a good puck-possession guy on those lines. Kreider/Kakko/Howden/Strome/Fast...and whomever they slot on the third line wing, none of them can really hold onto the puck for much time, they're more North-South drive to the net, with the exception of Strome. Andersson doesn't really solve that problem either, he's a guy who's going to the net.

Kakko is all about hanging onto the puck and making plays and it will come when he gets his confidence and game going. That being said he’s more likely to end up with Zib sooner than later. What’s important for Quinn is to probably spread out the talent a bit on the two, three, four lines. No one should have a issue with Andersson, Howden, or Strome getting a chance with Kreider or Buchnevich when Kappo moves up to the top line, providing it’s warranted. IMO Quinn should be looking for a wing and a center that plays well together and build from there. Wings don’t always click so maybe the problem was more Kreider and Kappo clicking than Strome’s influence. I think it’s safe to say Kreider has had a very slow start in impact on games as well as scoring. Strome and Kappo were ok, they just had no support from Kreider, who often seems like he’s playing by himself. He’s a key guy and he’s got to get it going with somebody.

Edited by Rranger 2019-10-17 4:21 PM
concust
Posted 2019-10-18 11:43 AM (#728679 - in reply to #728538)

Legend

x10003q - 2019-10-17 1:17 PM

According to the coaches, Andersson is not ready for the 2nd line. He has been on the ice for single digit minutes and he is playing almost half his time on the PK.

He's earned enough trust to play 5v4 but not 5v5? How does that make any sense?
x10003q
Posted 2019-10-18 1:11 PM (#728680 - in reply to #728679)

MVP

concust - 2019-10-18 1:43 PM

x10003q - 2019-10-17 1:17 PM

According to the coaches, Andersson is not ready for the 2nd line. He has been on the ice for single digit minutes and he is playing almost half his time on the PK.

He's earned enough trust to play 5v4 but not 5v5? How does that make any sense?

It is easier for him because he only has to worry about the d side of the ice.
Andersson (3:52 on the PK last night) seems to be a natural defensive forward. Playing on the kill is ingrained in this guy and he is doing a decent job. He is the classic defensive head. They are light on offense but you can count on them in the D end. It is the same reason why B Smith had 3:26 on the PK and TD had only 30 seconds. By the way, Howden had 3:34 of PK, Zib had 4:34 and that vaunted defensive gene-yus Fast only had 2:45 PK. Strome had 1:55.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software