Home Page
 OTG

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

So....was last night a sign of things to come, or an aberration
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Rangers -> Winter Is ComingMessage format

Fish
Posted 2019-10-25 3:06 PM (#728990)
Subject: So....was last night a sign of things to come, or an aberration

Publisher

Thoughts? You could perhaps argue that the Rangers showed good signs against Vancouver and Arizona for parts of the game and then finally put it together for a whole game last night, so do you think the win against Buffalo is a turning point?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2019-10-25 3:34 PM (#728991 - in reply to #728990)
Subject: Re: So....was last night a sign of things to come, or an aberration

All-Star

No. They still suck.
x10003q
Posted 2019-10-25 3:50 PM (#728994 - in reply to #728990)

MVP

They are still giving up too many shots. The 3 goal lead demoralized the Sabres who are going to come back to their level. The breakouts where more organized combined with Buff taking more chances since they were behind worked in the Rangers favor.
robstones
Posted 2019-10-25 5:36 PM (#728995 - in reply to #728990)

Legend

It wasn't a fluke. Neither were the first 2 games. The problem this young team will have is maintaining consistency... The good news is the goaltending will be there

Edited by robstones 2019-10-25 5:37 PM
LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2019-10-25 7:00 PM (#728996 - in reply to #728990)

All-Star

I am not a believer until the team plays better D, team D. Unless you are the Oilers of the 80s or Wings of the 90s, you better play some good D.

Edited by LeetchyMrRanger 2019-10-25 7:02 PM
Rranger
Posted 2019-10-25 9:07 PM (#729002 - in reply to #728990)

MVP

I didn’t see enough of the game to comment but shots and chances were tilted again.
Rangerjunkie
Posted 2019-10-26 7:25 AM (#729003 - in reply to #728990)

All-Star

3 games they played great, 5 games they played terrible. I think they are what they are, a mediocre team.
Steady Eddie
Posted 2019-10-26 7:42 AM (#729005 - in reply to #728990)

MVP

I’m on the fence on this. We have 2/3 of a #1 line. This was proven when Quinn put Fast on that line. Kreider and Buch aren’t #1’s, and Kakko needs time.

Very pleased with Howden and the maturity he’s bringing. I think he’s starting to fit as a #2C. Very pleased with Tony D, Hajek, and Lemieux. Anderson needs more minutes.

Overall, I see a .500 team. Win-Lose-Win-Lose. I don’t see us as a contender until Kakko starts to mature.

Rangerjunkie
Posted 2019-10-26 9:51 AM (#729006 - in reply to #728990)

All-Star

Anderson needs to EARN more minutes
Rranger
Posted 2019-10-26 1:50 PM (#729008 - in reply to #729005)

MVP

Steady Eddie - 2019-10-26 6:42 AM

I’m on the fence on this. We have 2/3 of a #1 line. This was proven when Quinn put Fast on that line. Kreider and Buch aren’t #1’s, and Kakko needs time.

Very pleased with Howden and the maturity he’s bringing. I think he’s starting to fit as a #2C. Very pleased with Tony D, Hajek, and Lemieux. Anderson needs more minutes.

Overall, I see a .500 team. Win-Lose-Win-Lose. I don’t see us as a contender until Kakko starts to mature.

I’m also happy with Hajek, Fox, Howden, and Lemieux for young guys. I’m also happy with Strome, I think he’s been solid and his numbers are starting to come around. He’s a guy that has to do well and he has to be a solid two way player to help the Rangers succeed. Tony D now practicing on the first PP unit says it all. Deserved and a guy just scratching the surface. He’s got that fire that if harnessed could make him into a very dynamic player. Starting to see individual players coming around, can only hope team defence picks up and the rest of the team game comes around. I said after the first few games you needed 10 games to get a handle on a player and the team’s success. In particular Howden and Strome are two who benefit from that type of timeline, both judged pretty harshly after only a couple of games.
Pierre_Pdare
Posted 2019-10-26 3:36 PM (#729009 - in reply to #728990)

MVP

I say YES
Mcphee
Posted 2019-10-28 3:18 AM (#729117 - in reply to #728990)

Regular

Aberration
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2019-10-28 10:18 AM (#729121 - in reply to #728990)

All-Star

Packaging Andersson would be beyond stupid. Quinn continues to screw the kid up. He should be on wing for starters. His corner work is really good. He and Lemieux were the only 2 hitting after Quinn dropped the F bomb on them during the timeout. Starting to look like a team already getting sick of the coach. I would rather see Andersson and Kakko playing for a top coach with the Pack. Both are being misused and ruined by Quinn at the moment. I'd rather see Lettieri and Fontaine up playing on the 4th line. Let Andersson, Chytil and Kakko get a full year with the block coaching them and then let him take over the Rangers next season.
Fish
Posted 2019-11-01 10:15 AM (#729200 - in reply to #728990)

Publisher

So since I posted this we've had a clunker against the Bruins, then a pretty good effort against Tampa...anyone change their opinions?
sureshore
Posted 2019-11-01 1:28 PM (#729202 - in reply to #728990)

All-Star

I'll have to wait and see. I like that Staal was a healthy scratch and will be again - remains to be seen if the young d-men can maintain the level they played against Tampa, but if not, Staal is certainly not going to help. Also, Mika will probably miss another game. I'd reserve judgement up front until I see what Quinn does with the lines once he's back. There's now 5 centers (Mika, Chytil, Strome, Howden and Andersson) - hopefully one (Strome, Howden or Andersson) gets moved to a wing rather than sat/demoted. But Quinn's befuddling love for Smith as a forward may render any offense from a 4th line this season a 'once-in-10-game" thing. We have the personnel to have a good defensive 4th line that can also chip in a few goals but Quinn may not let it happen. He's only giving the 4th liners about 5 minutes TOI at even strength and that's a) not showing faith that they are a defensive line anyway and b) never gonna allow them to get into any consistent flow of the game.

Robstones - draw us up what the lines will look like when Mika's back, lol.
Rranger
Posted 2019-11-02 8:45 AM (#729212 - in reply to #728990)

MVP

The biggest thing a young team needs is a consistent message from the coaching staff. If coaching is all over the map with different rules for different playeras your dead. Remember Chewys veterans have more rope spiel. Young players have a tough time being treated with less respect than veterans. You want young guys to feel good about themselves and their game then treat them the same. Its refreshing to see Quinn hold veterans like Staal accountable like the kids. He sent that team a very powerful message that your play talks, not who you are. Look at the kick in the ass it gave Shjei who had to know he might be next to sit.
At this point its just try to win any way they can as they find out what they are as a team. Obviously tightening up on D is a priority and I think Quinn is to wise to not be on it, but its a process getting the five men units working together. Quinn continues to say things that are right on the money as far as I'm concerned which gives me a lot of hope in his methods. i really think he gets it knows what needs to be done and is doing it. its obvious he's making commitment to effort and the process a priority. and it all begins there.
LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2019-11-04 8:18 PM (#729284 - in reply to #728990)

All-Star

Right now it is a .500 team, that's what it is. The only player with any creativity, able to make plays, & score is Panarin. Z is injured, this hurts. Kakko impressing more & more.
LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2019-11-07 7:33 PM (#729457 - in reply to #728990)

All-Star

4 wins in 5 games, if not for that Senseless loss would be 5 for 5.
Rangerjunkie
Posted 2019-11-08 6:44 AM (#729468 - in reply to #728990)

All-Star

Lias finally got his first goal of the season, too bad it was for the other team.....
Fish
Posted 2019-11-08 2:51 PM (#729476 - in reply to #729457)

Publisher

LeetchyMrRanger - 2019-11-07 6:33 PM

4 wins in 5 games, if not for that Senseless loss would be 5 for 5.

I think if you look at the way they're winning though, there's still some areas of concern. They're still giving up far too many quality chances. They were pretty controlled against Tampa and Buffalo, but the wins against Detroit, Nashville and especially last night against the Canes all saw long periods of offensive dominance by the opposition.

The goaltending has been above par, which has helped...as has the offensive side, where the Rangers are really doing a lot with the chances they're getting. It's not sustainable though, and if they don't figure out the defensive side, they're going to be back in a hole again.
LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2019-11-08 3:17 PM (#729478 - in reply to #728990)

All-Star

There are a LOT of areas of concern, relying on goalies way too much, the goalies steal games & keep this team in games. The D is weak, soft, the team is weak, soft. The scoring is not consistent enough except for 2-3 players. Oh yeah, a work in progress... so far keeping their heads above water around .500.

Edited by LeetchyMrRanger 2019-11-08 3:19 PM
Rranger
Posted 2019-11-09 7:41 AM (#729482 - in reply to #728990)

MVP

The Rangers are in good shape. From the glass half full perspective over five hundred in smelling distance of the playoffs. Hajek, Fox, Lindgren, Kakko, Howden, Lemieux, Chytil, Georgiev, and yes Andersson also, playing well and finding their way as NHL players. Andersson playing on the fourth line, and he's improving and at some point he's going to start to excel and carry that line and he will move up. Its coming. Some other highlights DeAngelo's offense, Strome"s excellent play, Panarins complete game, Buchnevich's leap in his game, The achilles on this team right now is Staal, Skjei, and Kreider who play a lot of important minutes. When they smarten up and improve or are replaced the Rangers will improve.
The bad defence is affected in a large way by those two important dmen playing well below their required level. The team defense is a concern but a byproduct of so many young players being added to the mix and you can't stress enough Skjei and Staals negative influence. I think its all correctable as time goes on, and Skjei and Staal either get their act together or will be replaced. The metamorphosis is ongoing Quinn benching Staal and Skjei is huge and will lead to them buying into playing hard every night or they are gone. Staal will go where life is easier and Skjei can be dumped anywhere.
I'm looking at where they will be at the end of November now, the kids are in the swing of lots of games, and as their obvious improvement continues a more well rounded individual and team game will build. I think Gorton and Quinn are well aware of the weak links and hard at work looking for a solution.
LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2019-11-14 7:17 PM (#729641 - in reply to #728990)

All-Star

What you see is what you get, a .500 team.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software