Home Page
 OTG

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What to do?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   OTG Forums -> First ImpressionsMessage format

Rranger
Posted 2019-12-03 8:56 PM (#730204)
Subject: What to do?

MVP

https://nypost.com/2019/12/03/alexandar-georgiev-milestone-could-cau...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Rangerjunkie
Posted 2019-12-04 6:37 AM (#730205 - in reply to #730204)
Subject: Re: What to do?

MVP

This does have me a little concerned.

It does appear that Shesty is the real deal, but I think Georgie is too.
robstones
Posted 2019-12-04 7:27 AM (#730207 - in reply to #730204)

Legend

We don't have to worry until closer to the deadline.... no reason to rush this decision. Wait for offers to accumulate. Not going to trade George for nothin.... never want to trade good players.... but.... what's the return?
sam1232
Posted 2019-12-04 7:59 AM (#730208 - in reply to #730204)
Subject: RE: What to do?

Prospect

winter is here
concust
Posted 2019-12-04 8:05 AM (#730210 - in reply to #730204)

Legend

Here's what you do. Do nothing. Keep both on the roster. Call up Shesty and carry 3 for a little bit if you have to. You've got a frickin $4m defenseman playing as a forward don't get all sanctimonious about having to sit someone to make room for 3 goalies on the roster.

Don't trade Georgiev for nothing but at the same time realize that you're not going to get "value" for him. He'll return probably a mid-round pick or a B+ prospect. I don't think anyone views him as a starting goaltender, at most he's a minor upgrade at the backup position, for a team that wants a little extra insurance there heading into the playoffs. That's not going to get you much in trade value especially since every other GM sees our goalie problem also and realizes they don't have to give up a lot. At best you package him with something else, that's the only way you're going to get max value for him. Smith and Puljujarvi for Andersson and Georgiev. Smith has NTC but he's pending UFA anyway, and is he really going to nix a trade to New York for 5 weeks? Edmonton gets rid of an expiring asset and gets two young players for Smith and a player who will never play for them anyway. NYR cut bait on Andersson and "solve" their goalie logjam, get an incredibly talented young Finn who is a Kakko clone.

Steady Eddie
Posted 2019-12-04 10:41 AM (#730213 - in reply to #730204)

MVP

I'm sure management had the conversation with Shesty already. "You and Georgy are possible heirs to the King's throne. You can wait until his contarct expires in 2021 for a chance in the spotlight, or you can go back to Siberia if you choose." What do you think he's going to do? I'm not worried. Georgiev is a good goalie, and expect him to be more consitent with experience. This is a good problem to have. Like Richter and Vanbiesbrouck. If we lose one, we still win.

Rranger
Posted 2019-12-04 12:22 PM (#730214 - in reply to #730204)

MVP

I think it all comes down to Shestorokin's attitude about remaining in Hartford where he has already proved he's well beyond that league. If he starts yapping about going home then Gorton has t decide the best move for the Rangers. I'm sure they would rather have him in Hartford than Siberia. Simplest solution might just be to slip him what he's going to get paid in Russia and convince him to stay in Hartford til they make a move. All things being accounted for money wise, one would think the lifestyle and amenities over here might be more attractive to him. Its a bit of a conundrum for Gorton but a good conundrum.
concust
Posted 2019-12-04 3:34 PM (#730215 - in reply to #730214)

Legend

Rranger - 2019-12-04 1:22 PM

I think it all comes down to Shestorokin's attitude about remaining in Hartford where he has already proved he's well beyond that league. If he starts yapping about going home then Gorton has t decide the best move for the Rangers. I'm sure they would rather have him in Hartford than Siberia. Simplest solution might just be to slip him what he's going to get paid in Russia and convince him to stay in Hartford til they make a move. All things being accounted for money wise, one would think the lifestyle and amenities over here might be more attractive to him. Its a bit of a conundrum for Gorton but a good conundrum.

Just carry 3 goaltenders on the NHL roster for the rest of the season? Dress any two on a given night. Shesterkin gets NHL level coaching and pay, gets accustomed to NHL travel and life. Georgiev doesn't get a demotion and continues to make a case for having a job elsewhere. Lundqvist is Lundqvist. Is it so important to keep Haley, McKegg, and Nieves on the NHL roster, that you'd hinder Shesterkin's happiness and/or development?

Rranger
Posted 2019-12-04 5:05 PM (#730217 - in reply to #730215)

MVP

concust - 2019-12-04 2:34 PM

Just carry 3 goaltenders on the NHL roster for the rest of the season? Dress any two on a given night. Shesterkin gets NHL level coaching and pay, gets accustomed to NHL travel and life. Georgiev doesn't get a demotion and continues to make a case for having a job elsewhere. Lundqvist is Lundqvist. Is it so important to keep Haley, McKegg, and Nieves on the NHL roster, that you'd hinder Shesterkin's happiness and/or development?

I don’t know where you get Haley, McKegg, Nieves ect in the post responding to mine lol. Obviously someone goes down when someone comes up. Unfortunately Shestorokin can’t play forward. Rangers will have no available extra forward.
Three goalies doesn’t work. Ask any coach, it’s a pain in the ass in practice and one is always pissed off. At some point in time Georgiev rightly or wrongly will get dumped, his value will likely never be higher than it is now and it will likely be sooner than later.
sureshore
Posted 2019-12-04 10:50 PM (#730218 - in reply to #730217)

All-Star

Rranger - 2019-12-04 7:05 PM

I don’t know where you get Haley, McKegg, Nieves ect in the post responding to mine lol. Obviously someone goes down when someone comes up. Unfortunately Shestorokin can’t play forward. Rangers will have no available extra forward.
Three goalies doesn’t work. Ask any coach, it’s a pain in the ass in practice and one is always pissed off. At some point in time Georgiev rightly or wrongly will get dumped, his value will likely never be higher than it is now and it will likely be sooner than later.

You can still have an extra forward even with 3 goalies. Most teams carry an extra d and an extra forward in addition to the backup goalie (and I believe you can even carry one more (23 rostered players)). Rangers might have an issue when Staal returns but for now their extra d-man is Smith.
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2019-12-05 4:30 AM (#730220 - in reply to #730204)

All-Star

Georgiev could easily bring back a first to the right team. A second for sure. Mid round my ass. This isn't a 27 year career minor league like Talbot or a goalie like Raanta who didn't show much before coming to NY. There are an awful lot of teams that need a legit, young goalie. Rinne is 37 and Nashville will be screwed soon. Detroit has absolutely nothing of worth in net. That would be my best place for him. Georgiev for Michael Rasmussen and a second and I'm happy.
Rangerjunkie
Posted 2019-12-05 6:01 AM (#730221 - in reply to #730204)

MVP

How about Georgiev to the bluejackets for Josh Anderson? Thats the type of player this team desperately needs.
Rangerjunkie
Posted 2019-12-05 6:02 AM (#730222 - in reply to #730220)

MVP

itsmcilrathtime - 2019-12-05 4:30 AM

Georgiev could easily bring back a first to the right team. A second for sure. Mid round my ass. This isn't a 27 year career minor league like Talbot or a goalie like Raanta who didn't show much before coming to NY. There are an awful lot of teams that need a legit, young goalie. Rinne is 37 and Nashville will be screwed soon. Detroit has absolutely nothing of worth in net. That would be my best place for him. Georgiev for Michael Rasmussen and a second and I'm happy.

I agree he's definitely worth more than a mid round pick for sure.
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2019-12-05 6:34 AM (#730223 - in reply to #730221)

All-Star

Rangerjunkie - 2019-12-05 6:01 AM

How about Georgiev to the bluejackets for Josh Anderson? Thats the type of player this team desperately needs.

He's having a down year. They would have to include a first in that.
Rranger
Posted 2019-12-05 6:50 AM (#730224 - in reply to #730218)

MVP

sureshore - 2019-12-04 9:50 PM

You can still have an extra forward even with 3 goalies. Most teams carry an extra d and an extra forward in addition to the backup goalie (and I believe you can even carry one more (23 rostered players)). Rangers might have an issue when Staal returns but for now their extra d-man is Smith.

Roster size is not the issue, the Rangers have a 23 man roster including Staal. No one is going to lose sleep over Shestorokin up and Nieves down. But when Shestorokin gets called up it won't be for a walk in the park live the NHL experience, he will be coming to get tested, and to prove he belongs. He is obviously ready to be called up, so the Rangers can see what they have in him. Which means he has to play, and Lundqvist has to play. Do the math someone is the odd man out. If there is a deal out there move Georgiev first while his value is probably at its peak. Three goalies won't work, doesn't matter who they are..
scthockey2294
Posted 2019-12-05 8:48 AM (#730225 - in reply to #730204)

Scorer

Georgiev nets a 2 & 4 or a 2 & a bottom 6 forward prospect
concust
Posted 2019-12-05 2:31 PM (#730226 - in reply to #730224)

Legend

Rranger - 2019-12-05 7:50 AM

Roster size is not the issue, the Rangers have a 23 man roster including Staal. No one is going to lose sleep over Shestorokin up and Nieves down. But when Shestorokin gets called up it won't be for a walk in the park live the NHL experience, he will be coming to get tested, and to prove he belongs. He is obviously ready to be called up, so the Rangers can see what they have in him. Which means he has to play, and Lundqvist has to play. Do the math someone is the odd man out. If there is a deal out there move Georgiev first while his value is probably at its peak. Three goalies won't work, doesn't matter who they are..

Sure, if you can move Georgie for a decent deal, go ahead and do that. 3 goalies is not ideal, however it's more ideal than having Lundqvist and Georgiev happy with the situation, and Shesterkin frustrated and fuming, and going back to the KHL. At this point he's the Rangers' future in net, therefore it's most important to keep him happy. If he gets frustrated in Hartford you figure out any damn way you can to remedy the situation so he does not have bad blood with the club.

concust
Posted 2019-12-05 2:32 PM (#730227 - in reply to #730225)

Legend

scthockey2294 - 2019-12-05 9:48 AM

Georgiev nets a 2 & 4 or a 2 & a bottom 6 forward prospect

This sounds about right to me.
Rranger
Posted 2019-12-05 6:54 PM (#730252 - in reply to #730226)

MVP

concust - 2019-12-05 1:31 PM

Rranger - 2019-12-05 7:50 AM

Sure, if you can move Georgie for a decent deal, go ahead and do that. 3 goalies is not ideal, however it's more ideal than having Lundqvist and Georgiev happy with the situation, and Shesterkin frustrated and fuming, and going back to the KHL. At this point he's the Rangers' future in net, therefore it's most important to keep him happy. If he gets frustrated in Hartford you figure out any damn way you can to remedy the situation so he does not have bad blood with the club.

The Rangers will do what they have to do to make sure Shestorokin does not go back to Russia. You can write that in stone. Georgiev whether he knows it or not will take the bullet for the team. Which IMO is a shame. It is what it is with Lundqvist so it’s bye bye Georgiev, when Shestorokin comes up. I would be shocked if a old goalie like Davidson would allow three goalies for very long. I get what your saying trying to appease Shestorokin no one wants him going back to Russia. Personally I’m all in favour of moving Lundqvist if possible but that ain’t happening, so it will be a Georgiev sooner than later. Maybe Georgiev, Andersson, starts to look ok for Edmonton and Puhljujarvi and another piece..

Edited by Rranger 2019-12-06 7:51 AM
concust
Posted 2019-12-06 8:17 AM (#730287 - in reply to #730204)

Legend

I proposed Mike Smith and Puljujarvi to Edmonton for Georgiev and Andersson off the top of my head in another thread.

EDM gives up
Puljujarvi, who isn't playing with them, has said he will never play with them, and is a wasted asset if they don't move him.
Mike Smith, a goalie who will be UFA at the end of the year anyway

EDM gets
Georgiev, a young goalie who is an RFA at the end of the year and is arbitration eligible
Andersson, a young "change of scenery" player who will undoubtedly contribute more to Edmonton than Puljujarvi ever will

NYR gives up
Georgiev, who is dead man walking anyway
Andersson, who may turn into a very good player but never fully took advantage of his opportunities or his top 10 pick status

NYR get
Mike Smith, an expiring asset, who has a NTC but I doubt he'd block a trade for 6 weeks to NYC
Puljujarvi, former 4th overall pick, who plays a lot like Kakko, and could also help ease his transition

Only issue with this hypothetical is you don't solve the three goalies problem, which I don't think is really much of a problem in the grand scheme of things, as long as you communicate expectations to all three players. Smith is playing his final days in the NHL anyway, he's not playing for a contract or anything he's playing for the experience and his pride. So maybe a nice MSG sendoff sounds appealing to him.

Or my proposal is all BS.

I'd do Georgiev and Anderrsson for Puljujarvi and a third round pick in a heartbeat.
robstones
Posted 2019-12-06 10:04 AM (#730288 - in reply to #730204)

Legend

Georgiev is proving to be a starter... if he continues to show it by the deadline, the return is going to be much higher than a 3rd rounder or another backup goalie
Mjolnir
Posted 2019-12-06 10:18 AM (#730289 - in reply to #730287)

Legend

concust - 2019-12-06 10:17 AM

I proposed Mike Smith and Puljujarvi to Edmonton for Georgiev and Andersson off the top of my head in another thread.

EDM gives up
Puljujarvi, who isn't playing with them, has said he will never play with them, and is a wasted asset if they don't move him.
Mike Smith, a goalie who will be UFA at the end of the year anyway

EDM gets
Georgiev, a young goalie who is an RFA at the end of the year and is arbitration eligible
Andersson, a young "change of scenery" player who will undoubtedly contribute more to Edmonton than Puljujarvi ever will

NYR gives up
Georgiev, who is dead man walking anyway
Andersson, who may turn into a very good player but never fully took advantage of his opportunities or his top 10 pick status

NYR get
Mike Smith, an expiring asset, who has a NTC but I doubt he'd block a trade for 6 weeks to NYC
Puljujarvi, former 4th overall pick, who plays a lot like Kakko, and could also help ease his transition

Only issue with this hypothetical is you don't solve the three goalies problem, which I don't think is really much of a problem in the grand scheme of things, as long as you communicate expectations to all three players. Smith is playing his final days in the NHL anyway, he's not playing for a contract or anything he's playing for the experience and his pride. So maybe a nice MSG sendoff sounds appealing to him.

Or my proposal is all BS.

I'd do Georgiev and Anderrsson for Puljujarvi and a third round pick in a heartbeat.

Maybe it's me, but alarm bells go off every time Puljujarvi and Rangers are mentioned in the same sentence. I think that would be a disaster.
x10003q
Posted 2019-12-06 12:13 PM (#730293 - in reply to #730204)

MVP

There must be many teams salivating at the thought of getting Georgiev. He is the reason the Rangers won last night. Georgiev got the win despite the clueless team d with the forwards constantly leaving the zone too early and the rangers giving up tons of point blank chances. The goaltender timing sucks. Even if the Rangers get fair value for Georgiev, it will be a bummer to watch him play elsewhere.
Mjolnir
Posted 2019-12-06 1:14 PM (#730294 - in reply to #730293)

Legend

x10003q - 2019-12-06 2:13 PM

There must be many teams salivating at the thought of getting Georgiev. He is the reason the Rangers won last night. Georgiev got the win despite the clueless team d with the forwards constantly leaving the zone too early and the rangers giving up tons of point blank chances. The goaltender timing sucks. Even if the Rangers get fair value for Georgiev, it will be a bummer to watch him play elsewhere.
I think he and Shesty would make a great tandem.
robstones
Posted 2019-12-06 1:45 PM (#730295 - in reply to #730293)

Legend

He's good but I'm just not impressed by his game. Nice and steady though, no doubt...

I feel Shesty is/will be impressive!
x10003q
Posted 2019-12-06 2:52 PM (#730296 - in reply to #730294)

MVP

Mjolnir - 2019-12-06 3:14 PM

I think he and Shesty would make a great tandem.

Totally agree. Hank is gumming up the works.
concust
Posted 2019-12-06 4:07 PM (#730297 - in reply to #730204)

Legend

You guys are remembering the great games but forgetting about his poor starts. His last two have been good, his previous two were bad. He was a disaster in Tampa Bay. Sure the rest of the team was bad too, I'm not saying he's the reason they lost - but the rangers played very poorly in Columbus too when Georgie stood on his head. He's inconsistent, which is the hallmark of a backup goaltender. I think league-wide he's a good-level backup, nothing more than that.
Rangerjunkie
Posted 2019-12-06 4:27 PM (#730298 - in reply to #730295)

MVP

robstones - 2019-12-06 1:45 PM

He's good but I'm just not impressed by his game. Nice and steady though, no doubt...

I feel Shesty is/will be impressive!

I think 45 saves is pretty impressive
Rangerjunkie
Posted 2019-12-06 4:30 PM (#730299 - in reply to #730297)

MVP

concust - 2019-12-06 4:07 PM

You guys are remembering the great games but forgetting about his poor starts. His last two have been good, his previous two were bad. He was a disaster in Tampa Bay. Sure the rest of the team was bad too, I'm not saying he's the reason they lost - but the rangers played very poorly in Columbus too when Georgie stood on his head. He's inconsistent, which is the hallmark of a backup goaltender. I think league-wide he's a good-level backup, nothing more than that.

He's also 23???

How many disasters has Hank had?? But, he's a great goaltender.

Hard not to have some disasters when the team D is a disaster to begin with.....
Vua
Posted 2019-12-06 6:55 PM (#730318 - in reply to #730299)

All-Star

Rangerjunkie - 2019-12-06 4:30 PM

concust - 2019-12-06 4:07 PM

He's also 23???

How many disasters has Hank had?? But, he's a great goaltender.

Hard not to have some disasters when the team D is a disaster to begin with.....

Our defense has been a disaster since AV became coach. I guarantee the Rangers have given up the most shots, the most medium and high danger chances since then. Our defense being dreadful isn't anything new.
Rranger
Posted 2019-12-09 7:21 AM (#730363 - in reply to #730204)

MVP

I think its premature to forecast Georgiev's future when he is only in his second year, as a backup no matter how well he plays. Never to get the ball and run with it as long as Lundqvist is gumming up the process and and what should be a starter battle between he and Shestorokin. I don't think any hockey scout, Evaluator, or goalie coach has cast Georgiev's future in stone just yet. Everything about his game is on a upward trajectory, to assume he's peaked or leveled out is a tad premature. His Goals Against and save % stats were both better than Lundqvists last year, and are again this year. He's won more games than he's lost the last two years, Lundqvist not. You can make a legitimate argument this season and especially right now he should be starting ahead of Lundqvist. He deserves a shot at running with it til he proves he can't handle it.
robstones
Posted 2019-12-09 8:26 AM (#730364 - in reply to #730204)

Legend

He's getting the ball.... and he's running with it....

Lundqvist is a little under the weather, but he's on the bench... he can play.. he just isn't because Georgiev is getting a chance to show what he can do.

The longer Georgiev stays here the better... He's going to be here until we get a return for him fit for a starter.

We're not going to get that premium today. We won't get it by this month but the deadline isn't until February 24th.

If we trade him then it will be based on whether we think we're a playoff team or not.

If we are, it will be better to hold on to him so he gets playoff experience... adding further value to the inevitable trade.

If we are not a playoff team, it is better to trade him at the deadline to the highest bidder, and let Shesty get his feet wet in the NHL this year.

concust
Posted 2019-12-09 8:45 AM (#730365 - in reply to #730204)

Legend

Interesting read on opinions on Georgiev when we signed him:

http://www.outsidethegarden.com/boards/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=3...
Rranger
Posted 2019-12-09 8:55 AM (#730366 - in reply to #730364)

MVP

robstones - 2019-12-09 7:26 AM

He's getting the ball.... and he's running with it....

Lundqvist is a little under the weather, but he's on the bench... he can play.. he just isn't because Georgiev is getting a chance to show what he can do.

The longer Georgiev stays here the better... He's going to be here until we get a return for him fit for a starter.

We're not going to get that premium today. We won't get it by this month but the deadline isn't until February 24th.

If we trade him then it will be based on whether we think we're a playoff team or not.

If we are, it will be better to hold on to him so he gets playoff experience... adding further value to the inevitable trade.

If we are not a playoff team, it is better to trade him at the deadline to the highest bidder, and let Shesty get his feet wet in the NHL this year.

Shestorokin is not staying in Hartford til the deadline. Sharing the net with two others will not showcase Georgiev's talents. Covering for a under the weather Lundqvist for three or four games does not constitute getting the ball and running with it. Teams won't be offering starter money based on that. His value will be predicated on how much and how well he plays. That won't be determined in a three goalie shuffle. You want to find out about a goalie you keep playing him til its obvious what you got. Only a idiot would trade Georgiev at any point in time until Shestorokin proves at the NHL level he is better. Your another one that trades guys before the replacement has played a game. There is a golden rule of trading players and thats knowing exactly what your getting rid of before you do. The Rangers are nowhere near that.
Rranger
Posted 2019-12-09 12:15 PM (#730369 - in reply to #730365)

MVP

concust - 2019-12-09 7:45 AM

Interesting read on opinions on Georgiev when we signed him:

http://www.outsidethegarden.com/boards/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=3...

Especially the parts about him proving himself. Very insightful. Sort of like he’s doing now at another level
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2020 PD9 Software