OTG Forums
 OTG

Search | Statistics Forums | Calendars | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Game 1: New York Islanders @ Rangers 1/14/21 - 7pm, MSG/NHLN/TVAS
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   OTG Forums -> First ImpressionsMessage format

x10003q
Posted 2021-01-15 8:10 AM (#773364 - in reply to #773363)
Subject: Re: Game 1: New York Islanders @ Rangers 1/14/21 - 7pm, MSG/NHLN/TVAS

LaFrenger - 2021-01-15 9:02 AM

Steady Eddie - 2021-01-15 4:53 AM

Looks like they picked up where they left off against Carolina, but one game does not make a team. The youth and inexperience shows, but that's no excuse for our top two lines and two veteran defensemen. Of all the players to criticize, I'll save it for just one, Kakko. I'm still not seeing the talent or skill. Arguably the best player in the 2019 draft is not looking like, never has looked like what I would expect from the best player in a draft. Break neck speed? Nope. Crisp accurate passes? Nope. Hard accurate shot? Nope. Good hands? Nope. Physicality to go with his size. None. Hockey sense? Not seeing it. I gave him a pass for his rookie season, because of his age, but I fear we have another Nail Yakupov.

Well in fairness to Kakko everybody stunk, with the exception of Gautier who was noticeable. Ten games into this season and Kakko still hasn't shown something then I'm going to be looking at him. Quinn's got a lot of young guys to play, if they are good enough to be on the team you play them through honest mistakes. No reason to cut way back on Miller's ice time, bouncing the rest around from line to line the second period on. Miller had a tough start to his game but no worse than Johnson yet who kept getting sent out there. My biggest disappointment in last nights game was the in the coach.

Yup - this is on the coach. There were multiple times on D when all the rangers were all on one side of the ice or below the goal line - even on the PK. We have seen this crap since before Quinn, but he still has not fixed it. I read that Lemu was the cause of the too many men penalty and Quinn sat him. First game of the season without any preseason games, maybe he misses a shift instead of most of the game. Miller had a shaky start - and was only at 7 minutes in the middle of the 3rd. This effs up the pairings. Kakko was MIA. Again. Quinn has clearly been promoted beyond his capabilities.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
LaFrenger
Posted 2021-01-15 4:28 PM (#773369 - in reply to #773364)

x10003q - 2021-01-15 7:10 AM

LaFrenger - 2021-01-15 9:02 AM

Steady Eddie - 2021-01-15 4:53 AM

Looks like they picked up where they left off against Carolina, but one game does not make a team. The youth and inexperience shows, but that's no excuse for our top two lines and two veteran defensemen. Of all the players to criticize, I'll save it for just one, Kakko. I'm still not seeing the talent or skill. Arguably the best player in the 2019 draft is not looking like, never has looked like what I would expect from the best player in a draft. Break neck speed? Nope. Crisp accurate passes? Nope. Hard accurate shot? Nope. Good hands? Nope. Physicality to go with his size. None. Hockey sense? Not seeing it. I gave him a pass for his rookie season, because of his age, but I fear we have another Nail Yakupov.

Well in fairness to Kakko everybody stunk, with the exception of Gautier who was noticeable. Ten games into this season and Kakko still hasn't shown something then I'm going to be looking at him. Quinn's got a lot of young guys to play, if they are good enough to be on the team you play them through honest mistakes. No reason to cut way back on Miller's ice time, bouncing the rest around from line to line the second period on. Miller had a tough start to his game but no worse than Johnson yet who kept getting sent out there. My biggest disappointment in last nights game was the in the coach.

Yup - this is on the coach. There were multiple times on D when all the rangers were all on one side of the ice or below the goal line - even on the PK. We have seen this crap since before Quinn, but he still has not fixed it. I read that Lemu was the cause of the too many men penalty and Quinn sat him. First game of the season without any preseason games, maybe he misses a shift instead of most of the game. Miller had a shaky start - and was only at 7 minutes in the middle of the 3rd. This effs up the pairings. Kakko was MIA. Again. Quinn has clearly been promoted beyond his capabilities.

Reading a article today the writer makes a very good point that Quinn seems to have his boys, Fox who I personally have a few concerns about some parts of his game looked ridiculous getting his pocket picked by Barzal. It was a pee wee hockey player blunder. Nothing done about it. Granted DeAngelo taking a double minor was stupid, but as a coach you start cherry picking who to punish, ie. Kakko, DeAngelo, Lemieux, even Miller, and let Johnson, Fox, and a mess of others off scot free and you got a problem. Now DeAngelo found himself on the taxi squad this morning. I realize Tony’s issues go back to last year and in fairness to Quinn this type of behaviour from DeAngelo was a issue last year dealt with and Quinn is jumping on him early. Doesn’t mean you let others off the hook. But I’m disgusted with the lack of attention to some players mental mistakes compared to how some others are treated. He doesn’t have much of a issue with jumping on young guys.
Cap'nMess
Posted 2021-01-15 6:01 PM (#773371 - in reply to #773289)

Game was a disgrace.
Steady Eddie
Posted 2021-01-16 6:18 AM (#773373 - in reply to #773371)

1 game in and it appears Quinn is going for a major shakeup. He's taking Kakko off the second line and replacing him with Lafreniere. He's benching DeAngelo and changing the D pairs to Trouba-Lindgren, Fox-Johnson, and Smith-Miller. Why? Brooks asks the same question.

Two things here: 1) Why break up the Lindgren-Fox combination that was the team’s best last season; and, 2) If the idea is to reduce pressure on Miller by moving him off a matchup pair with Trouba, why not reunite Smith with Trouba to reconstruct the pair that was so effective following the trade deadline?

And, I guess a third and fourth: Why change every defense combination, and what is it about Johnson that elevates him above Smith in the pecking order?

I spent the summer lobbying for Lafreniere to be awarded an immediate top-six spot, and I think he deserves it. But this move will be viewed more as a demotion for Kakko than as a promotion for Lafreniere. If that is the case internally, it could backfire. The Rangers simply cannot afford to diminish Kakko at this point before he’s even had a chance to establish a foothold.

https://nypost.com/2021/01/16/tony-deangelo-alexis-lafreniere-in-mid...

Cap'nMess
Posted 2021-01-16 7:10 AM (#773374 - in reply to #773289)

How is Kakko playing with Chytil and DI GIUSEPPE going to make Kakko better?
LaFrenger
Posted 2021-01-16 7:11 AM (#773375 - in reply to #773373)

Steady Eddie - 2021-01-16 5:18 AM

1 game in and it appears Quinn is going for a major shakeup. He's taking Kakko off the second line and replacing him with Lafreniere. He's benching DeAngelo and changing the D pairs to Trouba-Lindgren, Fox-Johnson, and Smith-Miller. Why? Brooks asks the same question.

Two things here: 1) Why break up the Lindgren-Fox combination that was the team’s best last season; and, 2) If the idea is to reduce pressure on Miller by moving him off a matchup pair with Trouba, why not reunite Smith with Trouba to reconstruct the pair that was so effective following the trade deadline?

And, I guess a third and fourth: Why change every defense combination, and what is it about Johnson that elevates him above Smith in the pecking order?

I spent the summer lobbying for Lafreniere to be awarded an immediate top-six spot, and I think he deserves it. But this move will be viewed more as a demotion for Kakko than as a promotion for Lafreniere. If that is the case internally, it could backfire. The Rangers simply cannot afford to diminish Kakko at this point before he’s even had a chance to establish a foothold.

Brooks stops short of calling it stupid. Rangers dream defense now Smith and Johnson out there. Trouba better be ready for 53 minutes. Quinn made his point with DeAngelo by sitting him last game. If that didn't correct DeAngelo's behavior sitting tonight won't make a difference. I'd say the microscope just focused on Quinn. A slow start to the season and no 80 games to recover.
Enheim
Posted 2021-01-16 2:23 PM (#773377 - in reply to #773373)

Steady Eddie - 2021-01-16 6:18 AM

It seems like Quinn is blaming all the players, and making an example of Tony for non-hockey reasons, to cover for the fact his team wasn't mentally prepared to play a game. The only blame for that game falls on Quinn himself. If everyone sucks, comes out like its just a beer league game, especially against an opponent that is well coached and no matter how bad they've been always brings it against your team, that isn't on any particular player.

The team took 7-8 penalties, everyone was sloppy, but 77 sits cause he let his frustration with the game show?

We will see with what comes of tonight and Tuesday, but got the feeling hockey isn't the main factor in certain decisions being made and that is extremely disappointing.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2021 PD9 Software