OTG Forums
 OTG

Search | Statistics Forums | Calendars | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Buchnevich Traded
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   OTG Forums -> First ImpressionsMessage format

LaFrenger
Posted 2021-07-24 7:15 AM (#780406 - in reply to #780369)
Subject: Re: Buchnevich Traded

Kakko # 24 - 2021-07-23 3:50 PM

You guys whine and cry non-stop, jesus it's crazy. If you cannot understand part of this trade is clearing the cap space to add a big C then I don't know what else to say. We got another gritty player we need badly, we add a 2nd rounder, AND we clear cap space to add a big C.

Unreal...

Nobody is whining and crying but you, posters have opinions, and post what they want. Only you patted yourself on the back, posting you called the trade like a weak little school girl. Lol. Especially weak since most everyone recognized he was probably gone. Some don't like he was traded, some don't like the return, and most like you, other than after reading a scouting report or two, have a clue about Blais to even give it a thumbs up.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2021-07-24 7:51 AM (#780407 - in reply to #780163)
Subject: RE: Buchnevich Traded

Just watch the Islanders games vs the Rangers to see how useless Buchnevich is. 7 of the 8 games, no points. Watch the playoff games vs. the Canes. I didn't even know he was on the ice. Throwing out the last Boston game where they basically didn't try, his last 25 games not counting the Bruins game he had 14 points. That's not a first or second line forward. On the other hand in their last 20 games not counting the Boston game Chytil had 11 points, Kakko and Lafreniere had 10 points. They are 21, 20 and 18 years old and got less icetime than Buchpussy who is 26. No loss. You better have really good third and fourth lines the way the game is played or you aren't winning jack.
Kakko # 24
Posted 2021-07-24 8:35 AM (#780410 - in reply to #780407)

itsmcilrathtime - 2021-07-24 10:51 AM

Just watch the Islanders games vs the Rangers to see how useless Buchnevich is. 7 of the 8 games, no points. Watch the playoff games vs. the Canes. I didn't even know he was on the ice. Throwing out the last Boston game where they basically didn't try, his last 25 games not counting the Bruins game he had 14 points. That's not a first or second line forward. On the other hand in their last 20 games not counting the Boston game Chytil had 11 points, Kakko and Lafreniere had 10 points. They are 21, 20 and 18 years old and got less icetime than Buchpussy who is 26. No loss. You better have really good third and fourth lines the way the game is played or you aren't winning jack.

On this one I am with you for sure. People are overrating Buch. I liked him, and liked how his game improved over the years, but he still was what he was. He was not a consistent top 6 performer, and he is a finesse player, nothing about him says tough or gritty. We have enough of that on this team.

LaFrenger
Posted 2021-07-24 9:58 AM (#780415 - in reply to #780410)

Kakko # 24 - 2021-07-24 7:35 AM

itsmcilrathtime - 2021-07-24 10:51 AM

On this one I am with you for sure. People are overrating Buch. I liked him, and liked how his game improved over the years, but he still was what he was. He was not a consistent top 6 performer, and he is a finesse player, nothing about him says tough or gritty. We have enough of that on this team.

Lol Nice to see you two lovebirds getting along. So we have your opinions or a pretty respected Rick Carpiniello’s on Buchnevich. I think most would go with Carpinello’s rather than your suit your narrative crap. Blais has baggage, sounds like some growing up, he’s 25, good luck with trying to change his desire to make himself the best he can be. Has all the tell tale signs of a guy who gets dumped a year down the road for the same reasons St. Louis did. Only the Rangers won’t likely get a top winger if they do get rid of him..

By Rick Carpiniello Jul 23, 2021 151
If you care to argue that the Rangers didn’t get nearly enough in return for Pavel Buchnevich from the St. Louis Blues in the teams’ trade on Friday, well, you have every right.
And, though we don’t know exactly what else was out there, you’d be correct.
They didn’t get nearly enough. Period.
But there are reasons that teams don’t get enough in trades in a flat-cap world, and the biggest reason is that it’s a flat-cap world.
The Rangers felt the need to get Buchnevich off the books — if not now, then soon.
He was going to get $5 million per, maybe $5.5 million, maybe more, as a restricted free agent with arbitration rights, coming off three straight seasons of improvement and consistency. Quite simply, beyond the coming season, the Rangers weren’t going to be able to afford to keep him at that price, especially if they continue to try to upgrade the roster elsewhere. And, yes, two of their top young prospects, former first-rounders, Kaapo Kakko and Vitali Kravtsov, both play the same position as Buchnevich and need ice time.
That is why Buchnevich has been in trade discussions since May, when Chris Drury became the team’s president and general manager — and why talks had been heating up lately, as I reported earlier this month. In fact, in hindsight, the Rangers and then-GM Jeff Gorton might have been far better off trading Buchnevich at the trade deadline than just before the first round of the entry draft.
Maybe there wasn’t a better deal out there than this one.

So, in their need to find a taker (it didn’t have to be now) and their need to add more straight-ahead and physicality to their fourth line, Drury settled for left winger Sammy Blais, a sturdy (6-foot-2, 205 pounds) and physical player, still 25, with a manageable $1.5 million cap hit.
Blais sure isn’t perfect. He’s been injured, he’s been called out by Blues coach Craig Berube, and he’s lost his job for stretches in St. Louis. According to a source, Blais has been known to have had conditioning issues, and he’s injury prone.
But if he’s healthy and right, he fills a physical requirement. And yes, they still need more on the fourth line.
Drury also got a second-round pick in 2022 for Buchnevich, so this is about the salary dump and theoretically opening space for younger (cheaper) players and, the hope is, more grit yet to be added. Some finesse has to be cleared out if being “tougher to play” is the mandate.
That all said, the departure of Buchnevich won’t be met with much joy in the Rangers’ locker room. He was a beloved teammate, and the move will especially not be popular with Artemi Panarin, Mika Zibanejad and Chris Kreider.
Also, it’s not like Buchnevich wasn’t tough. His involvement, combat level, engagement, whatever you want to call it — which all was in question as a younger player — improved incrementally in each of the last three years under coach David Quinn, who nicknamed him “Captain Happy” for his hilarious facial expressions.

Buchnevich had a running feud with Tom Wilson, who tried but failed to decapitate him in the last week of the 2020-21 season. He famously drilled Brad Marchand of Boston from behind in retaliation for teammate Ryan Lindgren. And he was suspended for smoking Washington’s Anthony Mantha in the face with his stick, in self-defense. He’s not a pushover.
Buchnevich wasn’t just a skilled player, although he did tend to overpass the puck and not use his very dangerous shot enough.
Anyone who watched the Rangers last season saw a Buchnevich who A) added penalty killing to his arsenal, and became quite good at it; and B) was arguably the Rangers’ best player in the first half.
Blais and a second-rounder isn’t enough to replace that, at least on the surface.
But was this a deal that needed to be made? That depends on what now happens with the roster spot and the cap space that’s now free. We’ll see.

Cap'nMess
Posted 2021-07-24 10:02 AM (#780416 - in reply to #780163)

I wish they would've done this with Kreider.
Kakko # 24
Posted 2021-07-24 11:14 AM (#780426 - in reply to #780163)

Me too, that Kreider contract is not a good one. He should have been dealt at the trade DL last season, instead we are paying him $6.5M per season to disappear for very long stretches.

Fish
Posted 2021-07-27 10:26 AM (#780484 - in reply to #780163)

Publisher

Buchnevich signed a 4 year deal AAV $5.8M with St Louis
x10003q
Posted 2021-07-27 10:59 AM (#780487 - in reply to #780484)

Fish - 2021-07-27 1:26 PM

Buchnevich signed a 4 year deal AAV $5.8M with St Louis

That is a light contract.
I guess the Rangers didn't try that hard to sign Buch.
David Quinn
Posted 2021-07-27 2:39 PM (#780499 - in reply to #780163)

He went to a trump rally once. He had to go. He was a Russian plant.
Fish
Posted 2021-07-28 7:45 PM (#780564 - in reply to #780163)

Publisher

https://www.espn.com/nhl/insider/story/_/id/31892508/nhl-free-agency...
The Rangers shipped out forward Pavel Buchnevich, who was arbitration-eligible and one year away from unrestricted free agency. One source said the Rangers were going to walk away from him if they didn't find a suitable trade.
x10003q
Posted 2021-07-28 8:48 PM (#780565 - in reply to #780564)

Fish - 2021-07-28 10:45 PM

The Rangers shipped out forward Pavel Buchnevich, who was arbitration-eligible and one year away from unrestricted free agency. One source said the Rangers were going to walk away from him if they didn't find a suitable trade.

I cant read the article - ESPN+.
I don't doubt the Rangers floated this bullshyt to the writers. Generally, walking away from a 26 year old top 6 wing who is a good guy is a great plan to get to the Cup.

The Rangers are now embarrassed that Buch signed a short contract for a fair amount so now they are going to claim they were going to walk away. Hilarious.

LaFrenger
Posted 2021-07-28 9:40 PM (#780566 - in reply to #780565)

x10003q - 2021-07-28 7:48 PM

Fish - 2021-07-28 10:45 PM

I cant read the article - ESPN+.
I don't doubt the Rangers floated this bullshyt to the writers. Generally, walking away from a 26 year old top 6 wing who is a good guy is a great plan to get to the Cup.

The Rangers are now embarrassed that Buch signed a short contract for a fair amount so now they are going to claim they were going to walk away. Hilarious.

On what planet would they not have found a deal for Buchnevich. Walk away lol sure. Never would have not been able to get a return. Sounds more like damage control for a weak return. .
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2021 PD9 Software